+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OT "For Sale" sign in front of Walker Museum site - Rothbiz?

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    Thanks, Brin. All useful background.

I've done a fair bit of research into the Independents Chapel since my family have a long association with it and my grandparents were married there in 1912. (Grandad worked for Habershon's most of his life and they, with the Walker family, were the great patrons of the Chapel over the years. It was common for employees to worship where the owners worshipped in those days.)

I went into the Chapel building a couple of times when it was the carpet warehouse and became involved in preserving the Walker Mausoleum from a distance when the future of the site was in doubt.

I do believe there are a lot of questions to be answered in terms of what caused the fires that led to the building collapsing and the site subsequently being cleared. I have also raised questions with RMBC, through a third party, about the First World War memorial wall tablet which used to be in the Chapel but which has now disappeared. (I have an old photograph of the memorial - it includes the name of my great-uncle who was killed on the Somme - the photo has now been lodged in the Imperial War Museum archives.)

So, you can see why I'm curious about the site being up for sale. While the destruction of the Chapel as a result of the fires was a travesty, it had become an eyesore and the leveled site - with the graves showing and the mausoleum intact - is at least tidy and respectful.

I would hate to think that it is going to be redeveloped. Until I saw the sign, I doubted that this could actually happen.

If you hear anymore about it do please email me. Thanks, pal.

Hello CT

In regards to the memorial tablet. There is one that has a list of names of the men of Rotherham that died in WW1 hanging on the wall of the PO Sorting Office foyer on the corner on Main Street and Westgate.

If you post the photograph of it you have I should be able to tell you if it's the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Hello CT

In regards to the memorial tablet. There is one that has a list of names of the men of Rotherham that died in WW1 hanging on the wall of the PO Sorting Office foyer on the corner on Main Street and Westgate.

If you post the photograph of it you have I should be able to tell you if it's the same one.
    Many thanks, Scum -T. This is the photo I have of what I believe was mounted in the Independents Chapel. The only (partial) proof I have is that the Imperial War Museum's memorial database has a record of this tablet with exactly the same wording and a description which matches this. The only very odd difference is that theirs includes all the names listed on the one in my picture but there are also many more additional names on theirs (and it does specify the 14-18 war not all wars...) Nobody know why there is a difference.

I'll be interested in learning more about the one in the PO Sorting Office foyer.

war memorial pic
    Last edited by CTMilller; 24-11-2017 at 10:44 PM.

This is the photo of the memorial

Name:  war memorial pic.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  10.7 KB

I was sure it was it but a quick google search shows a slightly different one.
    Sorry for getting hopes up.

http://www.royalmailmemorials.com/memorial/rotherham-war-memorial
    Last edited by Scum-Triumphant; 24-11-2017 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    I was sure it was it but a quick google search shows a slightly different one.
    Sorry for getting hopes up.

http://www.royalmailmemorials.com/me...m-war-memorial
    No, I appreciate the interest and help. It was definitely worth checking. What is interesting is that the brass part of the memorial is absolutely standard with a raised central arch at the top and the leaf pattern all round. The variance is only in the wording shown (and, of course the choice of wooden frame around the outside.) Clearly they mass produced these for institutions up and down the country who wanted to honor their dead.

If the one I have a photograph of is actually from the Independents Chapel, I would really like to know what has happened to it. As I mentioned earlier I had a friend locally apply to RMBC under the Freedom of Information act to ask whether they had it. (That would have been logical since they would have taken away any fixtures when the Chapel burned down.) They made a formal response that it's not in their possession.

Hey CT, sorry to intrude, just wanted to say that I hope you're enjoying your trip to Blighty. I missed out this year, but can't wait to make up for it soon :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Hey CT, sorry to intrude, just wanted to say that I hope you're enjoying your trip to Blighty. I missed out this year, but can't wait to make up for it soon :-)
    You're not intruding mate. Always good to hear from you!

Generally it's been a good visit though an expected family bereavement came a bit sooner than anticipated so I missed the game against Shrewsbury. Still I got to the Donny match so managed to see the game with the better outcome! That plus good dinners at The Brecks and Whitby's and a pleasant walk to Wentworth Church on Remembrance Sunday morning were memorable moments in the South Yorkshire section. Also spent some enjoyable days in the Malvern Hills, on the Yorkshire Moors, around Hull, at my base in Guildford plus a very pleasant few hours at the National Archive in Kew. Got back to San Fransisco Wednesday evening.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234