+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our damaged image and reputation.

Our damaged image and reputation.

The Pulis era now sees us regarded as a dull,miserable club that's low on player's horizons.

It's going to take a lot of hard work and a very progressive coach to turn this around.

When I speak to people around the country it's clear that they switch their TV over in droves when Albion are the live match!

How sad.

We have to set a blueprint for our DNA and stick to it in my opinion,we need to be progressive and a club that young and upcoming players want to join.

A bad 4 months in 3 years Mick. I still think people will see us as a top ten team who had a bad patch. It happens to every manager. It will happen to our new one too. Hopefully after the 40 points target.

Agreed Mick, a reputation built up since before i was born, destroyed in three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    A bad 4 months in 3 years Mick. I still think people will see us as a top ten team who had a bad patch. It happens to every manager. It will happen to our new one too. Hopefully after the 40 points target.
    I knew someone was going to pick up on this stat from the papers, it had to be you. Nothing personal here, but you have always seemed very over optimistic with Pulis and that he had been building something special - I fail to see it and I cannot understand what you see he is doing?

The fact is the stat goes beyond the start of this season, in 21 games we have only won how many? Not sure what exactly Pulis is building. Again nothing personal directed at you, but I fail to see any positives about Pulis. The never relegated stat baffles me too.. sure there are plenty of prem managers that have never been relegated too.

It's been an awful 3 years.

45 year fans like myself and many others have completely lost interest in our club.

I don't switch the TV on when we are live away from home....I'm embarrassed to admit to others who I support and fans countrywide think we're a s h I t club due to Pulis.

We need a revolution,we should strive to be the "entertainers" of the division and look to win 19 matches even if we lose 19.

We need to follow the route of smaller clubs like Seville and Villarreal who play great football whilst punching well above their weight.

If we played like Man City,the media would still be on our backs. On Sky news today, they said we have only ever finished in the top 10 twice.
    There was football before sky's greed league.
    Total football started at the Albion under Vic Buckingham, who then went on to teach the Dutch. Johan Cruff has wrote about this.

Quote Originally Posted by soulman101 View Post
    If we played like Man City,the media would still be on our backs. On Sky news today, they said we have only ever finished in the top 10 twice.
    There was football before sky's greed league.
    Total football started at the Albion under Vic Buckingham, who then went on to teach the Dutch. Johan Cruff has wrote about this.
    SKY are t w a t s but in fairness to almost all pundits our great side of the 70's and early 80's is constantly mentioned.

It's not like we've scaled those heights in the last 35 years Soul old boy.

Quote Originally Posted by regis80 View Post
    I knew someone was going to pick up on this stat from the papers, it had to be you. Nothing personal here, but you have always seemed very over optimistic with Pulis and that he had been building something special - I fail to see it and I cannot understand what you see he is doing?

The fact is the stat goes beyond the start of this season, in 21 games we have only won how many? Not sure what exactly Pulis is building. Again nothing personal directed at you, but I fail to see any positives about Pulis. The never relegated stat baffles me too.. sure there are plenty of prem managers that have never been relegated too.
    Regis, I understand what you are saying and too be honest yes I do believe he was building something. The last transfer window killed it for me. We should have been almost solely building the front line with our transfers and we didnt, it started going sour. It COULD have been something like this...Solid back line and penetrating forward line. It didnt happen. Thats about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    It's been an awful 3 years.

45 year fans like myself and many others have completely lost interest in our club.

I don't switch the TV on when we are live away from home....I'm embarrassed to admit to others who I support and fans countrywide think we're a s h I t club due to Pulis.

We need a revolution,we should strive to be the "entertainers" of the division and look to win 19 matches even if we lose 19.

We need to follow the route of smaller clubs like Seville and Villarreal who play great football whilst punching well above their weight.
    Well I've loved the baggies for over 45 years Mick and my dad and his dad were baggies fans too but I just wanted us to stay up and progress. Both of those things however dont always happen together, not in todays big money rules climate. I only hope that we dont now go all out attack and leave any defensive brains behind. We had a shocking defence for years and then we started to sort it out. We desperately needed the forward line sorted and at least 2 big name big money hit the back of the net in their sleep strikers but no. Almost every striker since Bob Taylor seemed to blow hot and cold....but mainly cold. We needed a super Bob. The new manager has to keep us tight but also give us some penetration.

Well I've loved the baggies for over 45 years Mick and my dad and his dad were baggies fans too but I just wanted us to stay up and progress. Both of those things however dont always happen together, not in todays big money rules climate. I only hope that we dont now go all out attack and leave any defensive brains behind. We had a shocking defence for years and then we started to sort it out. We desperately needed the forward line sorted and at least 2 big name big money hit the back of the net in their sleep strikers but no. Almost every striker since Bob Taylor seemed to blow hot and cold....but mainly cold. We needed a super Bob. The new manager has to keep us tight but also give us some penetration.
    I largely agree with you Boingy.

We needed a quality wide player almost guaranteed to start,an Arnoutovic type,fast and physical in the TP mould.

We also needed a ball carrying midfielder who can break the first tackle and get defences back peddling,a young promising player like Will Hughes would've been perfect.

We then needed a big strong striker and a smaller one to play around him.

Defoe was an obvious choice and Crouch would've done a job,personally I'd have gone for Chris Wood or got Iwobi in from Arsenal.

I also get peed off that we never take chances on players like Redmond,Demari Gray,Jacob Murphy etc....time and again they go to other lower and mid range Prem clubs.

Dawson must be the last lower league player we took a chance on and turned into a decent player.

Our recruitment is a car crash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)