+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Just The Old

Not Just The Old

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42052234

2nd thing i hate with a passion

I tried to use one of these at Gatwick airport last September, I'd bought 2 sets of drinks and sandwiches, crisps, a couple of newspapers and magazines MnM's and sweets for the flight, I was asked to use another machine as the one I was at was not working, I moved to another and even that took ages to scan the bloody stuff, an assistant came over and even she was having trouble, she walked away after she scanned a couple of items and then it started playing up again, eventually I'd finished and then it asked me for my boarding card which was in Matrons handbag somewhere in Duty Free Perfume (Another Con), I just walked away and left all the stuff where it was.

Quote Originally Posted by In Dyche We Trust View Post

Old people or automated check-outs ?

Pick your own, bag your own, slap it on a metal plate, listen to a bloody automated voice telling you what to do next? Tried it once and then I "Did an Alto" and left the stuff where it was and then went to LIDL where the prices are low and the service is great!

I have no problem with them. If the manned checkouts are busy I always use the automated ones (unless I have a big load to cash out). My biggest bugbear is the small number of checkouts in use when there is a big queue.

I understand that some older people are lonely - but they must realise that going to a supermarket has never been a social thing anyway.

We are lucky in Morecambe that there is a regular indoor market, complete with entertaining human beings, banter and much cheaper prices.

I had never thought about it, but supermarkets etc should have a seating area for people who need to rest for a few minutes. Although they generally have those mobility scooter things available for free.

Quote Originally Posted by In Dyche We Trust View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42052234

And the first is??

Most of ours have cafes with drinks food and counter staff to chat to and seats to rest ..... before you need the toilet.
    I do get irritated by the zombie voices telling me to put the item in the bag before I get chance to.
    B&Q and Waitrose are bad for that.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    I have no problem with them. If the manned checkouts are busy I always use the automated ones (unless I have a big load to cash out). My biggest bugbear is the small number of checkouts in use when there is a big queue.

I understand that some older people are lonely - but they must realise that going to a supermarket has never been a social thing anyway.

We are lucky in Morecambe that there is a regular indoor market, complete with entertaining human beings, banter and much cheaper prices.

I had never thought about it, but supermarkets etc should have a seating area for people who need to rest for a few minutes. Although they generally have those mobility scooter things available for free.
    I dont think there is anything lucky about living in Morecambe-

I don't find them intimidating or unfriendly at all --I just refuse to use them because they do not benefit the customer at all. They are just a method of cutting down on staff, therefore, putting more people out of work and the supermarkets/stores are just increasing profits by doing this.
    If they gave you a 20% discount for doing all your own shopping and then scanning and packing it I may be more inclined to use them, however, on second thoughts, this would not help those staff who work at these places.
    I have also done an alto at Manchester Airport and also in our local Poundland who introduced these automated tills but have had to re-institute manned tills because lots of people stopped shopping at the store.

Give over IDWT!

Fantastic on the beach with the dog this morning, waves crashing in, great view across the bay and clean air.

We love it here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)