+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corners

Corners

We all know we are struggling defending set pieces and corners. Obv warne thinks our defending is fine as were not conceding many 🤔
    Was wondering what else we could do...
    Instead of just leaving one man up top stood static in the centre spot. How about two wingers one on either side at the halfway line. Eg Williams and Taylor. And then someone like towell sat just outside the D...
    This would give the opposition sumat to think about

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    We all know we are struggling defending set pieces and corners. Obv warne thinks our defending is fine as were not conceding many 🤔
    Was wondering what else we could do...
    Instead of just leaving one man up top stood static in the centre spot. How about two wingers one on either side at the halfway line. Eg Williams and Taylor. And then someone like towell sat just outside the D...
    This would give the opposition sumat to think about
    According to Warney we already play this system, he reckons we play 3 up top with two wingers

I ment just for corners.
    ATM we have 9 defending and one outlet..
    the opposition always leave two to mark the one attacker. If we put two players upfront with a third sat outside the D that means the opposition have to have 4 outside the box plus one (two some times) taking the corner.
    It reduces the amount of attackers in the box, which should result in fewer goals conceded. (Should huff)
    It also gives the keeper more room to come n claim the ball plus it gives a quick counter attacking outlet. Btw I'm not talking about every corner.
    Ffs just try sumat different mr warne

To be fair just about every other pro football team uses the exact same tactic as us, leaving one out upfield, so to criticise Warne is to criticise every other manager, yes, including the likes of Mourhino and Guardiola etc, so that's a non starter as an argument, as the fact is, statistically, you're less likely to concede with more defenders in the box.

Wasn't set up as a argument mmm or even criticising what every other manager tries. It's obvious not working the way we are playing so is it the players or the coaching..?
    For me we need to be different. If every other team plays the way you mentioned what would they think if we did try something like I mentioned?

If when we get a corner we constantly hit the back post it would be easy to defend. If you constantly mix it up ie short, near post. Edge of box then the defence is pulled all over the shop..

A few seasons ago when i think it was Antonio played for forest they did this at NYS.. they left a small bloke on one side and him on the other. Bradbury was sat on the edge of the box. We didn't know what to do. Evans went purple screaming and shouting at players to get back,. Scarz didn't know what to do.
    I'm not saying it came to anything but it certainly made us panic

I tend to agree with cayton -if you have a couple of outlets then the opposition have to cover them,also with the "passing ability" of our defenders ,if you have two blokes waiting instead of one then there is more chance of hitting one of them.

We're not arguing are we? I take your point Cayton, but there's much more to it, we do actually mix it up when we have corners, but i was specifically talking about defending them, there's more goes on than you'd think, and the extra numbers are there to use as blockers usually, to stop the opposition's 'best' header of the ball getting a clear run.

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    We're not arguing are we? I take your point Cayton, but there's much more to it, we do actually mix it up when we have corners, but i was specifically talking about defending them, there's more goes on than you'd think, and the extra numbers are there to use as blockers usually, to stop the opposition's 'best' header of the ball getting a clear run.
    good valid point and i cant disagree with the reason why a defending side has as many bodys in the box as possible. its a good tactic if you dont concede from it. though without being able to pinpoint the reason why we are struggling to defend set pieces/corners we need sumat to change. would a defensive coach be able to stop the individual errors.. do we need a new back 4. do we need a new manager.. we can kinda forgive the shrews game as we only had 2 defenders on the pitch....

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    good valid point and i cant disagree with the reason why a defending side has as many bodys in the box as possible. its a good tactic if you dont concede from it. though without being able to pinpoint the reason why we are struggling to defend set pieces/corners we need sumat to change. would a defensive coach be able to stop the individual errors.. do we need a new back 4. do we need a new manager.. we can kinda forgive the shrews game as we only had 2 defenders on the pitch....
    I don't believe it's the manager's fault, though i would say that continually changing the keeper doesn't help the defenders in any way, so my advice would be to stick with one keeper(injury dependant) try to stick with the same pairing at CB, whoever that is, give them 10 games at it. A defensive coach might help, maybe, but with defences i firmly believe it's continuity that makes a good unit, not neccesarily the individuals.

When you look at our defence,
    Ajayi.........Warne
    Ihiekwe......Warne
    O’Donnel.....Pollits recommendation.......Warne
    Mattock.......new contract...........Warne
    Purrington.....Warne
    Onaraise.........Warne..
    Emanuel.........Warne....

......something starting to a pattern here.....then throw in Price and Marek......... ....
    Last edited by avondalemiller; 21-11-2017 at 04:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast