+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deal close?

There is always that danger. We thought Ashley was going to be better than Hall, two relegations and numerous f*ck ups later, we know that isn't the case.

We can only hope for better I guess.

Strikes me as an altogether different scenario, though.

And, under Ashley, we are going absolutely nowhere apart from back down imo, so we have to take this chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie_Exile_De View Post
    Is it just me that is just a tad concerned about our future owners. All we know is that Ms Stavely is representing people who are interested in buying a football club. We know diddly squat about them.

A bit of food for thought......

Seven years ago this week, Blackburn Rovers were bought by Venky's.

They were 14th in the Premier League.

Yesterday they traveled to Oxford, sixth in League One.
    At least they won

You're not wrong but at this stage i'd take the risk than the obvious going nowhere.

I think in regards to the Stavely it is different. The last time the people she represented tried to buy a club it was Liverpool, i don't think they'd be trying to buy a club at that level with significant funds to back it up. So i'm hoping it's same for us.

Fair point though.

These are investors
    Not owners

They aren't doing this for love

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    These are investors
    Not owners

They aren't doing this for love

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always under the impression that if you buy something, you actually own it.

Silly me

correct by owners i dont mean like abramovich who has piled loads in and changed little and did it when it was affordable
    but people think because these are buying it we will suddenly get billions spent etc etc

these are in to us for the same reason ash was
    to make money
    these arent like abramovich ,the city guys etc

i can see so many things changing tthat we didnt want when ash was firts here
    stadium name change ,etc etc

yes they will own us
    and will do what they want with us

and i just cant see them throwing billions at us to try and catch up with the top 4-5

and that is what it would need when you look at what players are going for now and with the players wages

slow building wont work
    by the time you buy 3-4 players a season or window by the time you have cleared the deadwood out (and thats almost all of it if we are looking at top 5-6 ) then their contracts would be up for renewal again

i hope she takes over
    i hope she spends the money we hope

but i dont think things will saty as we want

there will be some big changes
    and for what
    a few extra positions up a footy league

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    correct by owners i dont mean like abramovich who has piled loads in and changed little and did it when it was affordable
    but people think because these are buying it we will suddenly get billions spent etc etc

these are in to us for the same reason ash was
    to make money
    these arent like abramovich ,the city guys etc

i can see so many things changing tthat we didnt want when ash was firts here
    stadium name change ,etc etc

yes they will own us
    and will do what they want with us

and i just cant see them throwing billions at us to try and catch up with the top 4-5

and that is what it would need when you look at what players are going for now and with the players wages

slow building wont work
    by the time you buy 3-4 players a season or window by the time you have cleared the deadwood out (and thats almost all of it if we are looking at top 5-6 ) then their contracts would be up for renewal again

i hope she takes over
    i hope she spends the money we hope

but i dont think things will saty as we want

there will be some big changes
    and for what
    a few extra positions up a footy league
    As ever you miss the whole issue.All right minded supporters want is a well run club with AMBITION.

Mind, I can see what P'boro is getting at.

He's basically cautioning us not to get carried away with the idea that new owners would turn us into title contenders and suggesting that there might be a huge amount of change (that we've railed against under Ashley) compared to the possibly meagre (relatively) upturn in fortunes on the field.

But, in fairness to most of the rest of us, I don't think anyone expects the footballing equivalent of a magic wand to be waved...and the key word here is 'expects'.

All of us hope for things to change for the better-and i'm sure they will-and that's what this deal will give us if it comes off...hope.

It's ironic, though, that the common misconception of us as Newcastle supporters is that we expect to win things when, in my experience, what we expect is that things will go tits up.

I hope it doesn't, though.
    Last edited by Zippity; 23-11-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: sh!t for fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Mind, I can see what P'boro is getting at.

He's basically cautioning us not to get carried away with the idea that new owners would turn us into title contenders and suggesting that there might be a huge amount of change (that we've railed against under Ashley) compared to the possibly meagre (relatively) upturn in fortunes on the field.

But, in fairness to most of the rest of us, I don't think anyone expects the footballing equivalent of a magic wand to be waved...and the key word here is 'expects'.

All of us hope for things to change for the better-and i'm sure they will-and that's what this deal will give us if it comes off...hope.

It's ironic, though, that the common misconception of us as Newcastle supporters is that we expect to win things when, in my experience, what we expect is that things will go tits up.

I hope it doesn't, though.
    Agree Zip. Look at City - in their early days of investment they were not title contenders but now !!!! I live not far from their ground & the whole set up is unbelievable - a mini city.Their Academy ground is something most Championship teams would crave for.
    My hope is for a similar model in time.If that means a move from our sanctuary so be it.However adjoining land at the leases end perhaps could be used to good effect...... unless Ashley owns that as well !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jacapus View Post
    Agree Zip. Look at City - in their early days of investment they were not title contenders but now !!!! I live not far from their ground & the whole set up is unbelievable - a mini city.Their Academy ground is something most Championship teams would crave for.
    My hope is for a similar model in time.If that means a move from our sanctuary so be it.However adjoining land at the leases end perhaps could be used to good effect...... unless Ashley owns that as well !!!!!!!!
    Land was offered on Leazes Park to John Hall by the Council,he wanted to build a 70,000 stadium with a complex of shops cinemas etc.A petition by dog walkers stopped the project.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)