+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 'Proven' Manager myth & our Options

The 'Proven' Manager myth & our Options

I hear a lot of people say 'we need a proven prem manager' as if there's plenty of these 'proven' types around. Who can we realistically attract who is proven? Any manager who has not already failed or is 'proven' will probably be snapped up by Everton who are a bigger club and bigger payers than us. And if not them, then someone in the top 6.

We are going to have to have a manager who has either a) failed at some point in the prem or b) Is not yet experienced in the prem....

Alladyce - Probably the most obvious (as proven), but he's just quit Palace and stated he wants an international job next so I think he's out. He also got the chop at Newcastle, Blackburn and West Ham..whether he failed or not is subjective

Koeman - Played nice football at Southampton, integrated youth players. Failed at Everton.

Pardew - God help us. Plucked out of nowhere to be Newcastle manager, had a rocky few years with them. Failed at Palace. Somehow he is odds on.

Michael O'Neil - Never managed anywhere near prem club level. Style of football may be similar to Pulis

Nigel Pearson - Might be a good manager, awful with the media. Sacked by Leicester

McInnes - Failed at Bristol City. Never managed in the prem

Craig Shakespeare - Managed only a short time in the prem. Sacked by Leicester

So these seem to be the favourites for the job. Almost all have failed at some point. The 'proven' prem manager isn't out there. So why not pick someone who hasn't failed yet whatever level he has managed at? But has had success as a manager, who has a good football philosophy and who will integrate our impressive younger players. Every managerial pick is a risk, lets be bold.

Graham Potter is doing well in Sweden, according to Swedishbaggie, his team plays good football. He knows the club having played for us.

If not him then why not go all out for Chris Wilder? He has been promoted from every level from conference up and is 2nd with Sheff Utd in the Championship now. Those leagues are bloody tough to get out of and he has obviously got a winning mentality.

So there you are, if it was me I'd go for Wilder or Potter.

No doubt Pardew will get appointed tomorrow.....

When Pulis got the job I was happy,mainly because I knew he wouldn't get "mugged off" by our stellar "recruitment team" featuring the lawyer Garlick,Invisible Hammond and the tea lady who were previously choosing our signings.

That hasn't gone to plan due to TP being too scared to play anyone who wouldn't work hard!

The thing that worries me about the up and coming type manager is that I fear our behind the scenes geniuses will start to rule the roost again.

The likes of Allardyce and Pearson will not allow that scenario so in simple terms,I don't mind us being managed by an obnoxious single minded b a s t a rd as long as they can attract decent players and attack more than twice per match.

The other worry about the "aspirational" young coach is that you get the Marco Silva syndrome whereby they f u c k off to pastures new after a three match winning streak.

I'd rather a 50+ manager who is unlikely to attract attention from a top 7 sized club and who we can rely on for 5+ years.

Allardyce and Pearson fit that mould and neither will get an international job due to the baggage they carry and their questionable social skills.
    Last edited by mickd1961; 21-11-2017 at 11:23 PM.

Foxes owners are still employing Nigel Pearson. There were reasons outside of football that messed him up with Leicester.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41359610

Only just found this...we have probably missed the boat again, but the chance to manage a big club in the Premiership must still be a big temptation.

There is one other man that I know of...one who has a 100% record of having got every job in his life so far that he has applied for...everywhere that he went the teams were improved.

In the past he coached at Manchester United and more recently at Cologne FC...he is currently at a massive multi lingual sports university campus in Germany where after only two weeks he was promoted to head of sport...

The impression is being given that consideration will only be given to a man who has Premier experience. But the cupboard is pretty bare in this regard. I just wish 'they' would be broadminded enough to say we will consider anybody. Of course many will be totally unsuitable. But at least have a look and think about them.

Murphy. And the person is....?

Owners and Directors of Premiership clubs are frit. The enormous sums of money now on offer due to SKY would rule out any appointments from the lower leagues, the risk in their minds would be just to high. Therefore 'proven' is their only option.

in Football Management terms just about ANY manager in the world has ‘failed’ at sometime if they have been in the job long enough, if you judge getting the sack as failing. In football that logic goes out of the window. You have NOT failed just because you get the sack, it is just part and parcel of this stupid merry go round that has occurred with the introduction of such ridiculous money into the game.

Ok I paid something like £200 million for the club recently and the ONLY reason I did that is because I can hopefully make mega money IF the club stays if the PL, both by exploiting the WBA and EPL link in China as well as income from the club. My only risk is that the PL money disappears, (so I pray to the good lord Sky TV and overseas rights each night before I go to bed).

Now I have to appoint a new Manager due to the lack of points being accumulated so far this season and the risk that my income and investment may be at risk due to something called relegation! Do I minimise the risk of losing out by taking a chance on someone who hasn’t even done this pressure job before or do I take on someone who has experience and has a good chance of keeping me in the PL at the end of the season.

I know which one I would take and so will Mr Lai. This is the real world, real money at risk and big bucks at that even if I am a multi millionaire.

I've read a couple of reports this morning that Fat Sam doesn't want the job. Given that Lai has said results are more important than style in our current predicament, I think it leaves most likely Pardew or Pearson out of those mentioned and not anyone unproven. Ladbrokes have cut the odds today on Pardew to 2/1. Hope they are wrong on this one.

Personally I'd have Koeman IF he'd come but its a very big if. He might need a couple of years to rebuild his career and hopefully might have had time to reflect on his man management short comings as he did a good job previously at a similar sized club. He also won't be mugged off by our board but I'd think he's looking for a bigger club.

As for the rest, O'Neil, McInnes etc, no thanks. Wilder looks an interesting option but too risky at this point methinks.

I can't think what would make Chris Wilder interested.

a) Blades are potentially as 'big' a Club as WBA.
    b) We'd probably pass each other on the stairs in May.
    c) He's a Yorkie.

Nobody's mentioned Glen Hoddle. Would he be interested?

I mentioned Hoddle a few days ago.

Superb football brain.

Hoddle!!!! He was doing a great job at the dings,ask any of them,they were going nowhere with him

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)