+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The 'Proven' Manager myth & our Options

Quote Originally Posted by WBA53 View Post
    Hoddle!!!! He was doing a great job at the dings,ask any of them,they were going nowhere with him
    He was then being asked to to tinker with a Trabant not a Rolls Royce.

Gordon Ramsey would struggle at MacDonalds 53.

Still how he went about it Mick a bit like mowbray sidewards backwards little penetration mowbray was more successful at it I grant you though and a coach as you rightly say can only work with what he I herits in the first instance,so could this squad step up to a more proactive possessive style? Doubtful iny opinion as its not what Pulis was trying to build

Big Sam won't come - something in the dim and distant past still rankles with him wrt us. Koeman won't come - wants a bigger club. Wilder, McInnes, Michael O'Neil all unproven and a risk. Probably would come down to Pardew or Pearson - not even sure Pearson would come given his sour departure with Robbo. Wondered about Martin O'Neill or Strachan - both left failed national team campaigns. The former might be interesting - can drop Roy Keane though.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I mentioned Hoddle a few days ago.

Superb football brain.
    Really ?
    The man who left the best English footballer of a generation out his world cup squad.

I feel like Bristol City's Lee Johnson would be worth investigating. They've done some shrew business down there and he seems like he's had a decent career so far. After losing Kodjia to us they seemed to go into a tailspin and it looked like he'd lose his job. But he steered them from relegation and so far he's made a couple of decent signings and he has them in the right half of the league.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    I can't think what would make Chris Wilder interested.

a) Blades are potentially as 'big' a Club as WBA.
    b) We'd probably pass each other on the stairs in May.
    c) He's a Yorkie.
    Same thing that makes everyone interested. Money talks.

Right now, we are a bigger fish than Sheffield Utd, but only because we're in the prem. If we pass on the stairs in May then it'll be the other way around.

By the way Pardew is now 1/6 on with some bookmakers. Seems to be a foregone conclusion.

My first reaction was it was an uninspiring choice, but I'll always give a manager a chance. Lets hope he can make us a bit more attractive on the eye

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    By the way Pardew is now 1/6 on with some bookmakers. Seems to be a foregone conclusion.

My first reaction was it was an uninspiring choice, but I'll always give a manager a chance. Lets hope he can make us a bit more attractive on the eye
    The thing with this is it's so 'old hat' and predictable...where are all the clubs now that he has been involved with, Palace, Toon, W Ham and Charlton. I don't remember him leaving any kind of legacy when he left them...

Slaviša Jokanović - a bit left field but bare with me, likes his teams to play good football, has a good record everywhere he's managed, his only failure was at Hércules CF, where he took over with them bottom of the table with 5 matches to go & failed to prevent an already doomed team from been relegated. He is currently at Fulham where he had an excellent season last year, they have not done quite as well this season & he has had a falling out with the club for forcing players on him in the summer who he didn't want & turned out to be crap, so would probably be up for getting out of there.

As for the rest of the names I've heard banded about the problem with most available managers is they are available for a reason, I would prefer to go for a good championship manager than a failed premier league manager, If we get a younger manager who does well and gets poached then at least it will be because he has improved us.

Big Sam - Not that fat dingle please - Just a Pulis clone who likes his players to dive
    Pardrew - Better style of play, but would probably get us relegated
    Koeman - lots of noises come out of Everton & Southampton that he did not do his homework on opposition & seemed disintrested in training.
    McInnes - Did poorly at Bristol City, but it was a club that was a mess at the time, Done Ok at Aberdeen but not really pulled up any trees (has kept finishing 2nd with the second best team in the league), think he could do a good job with us though.
    Wilder - Could be good, but a Sheff Utd fan through & through. if any of us got the chance to manage West Brom & get them up the league would we leave?
    Óscar García - Likes to walk out of clubs when the going gets tough

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)