+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Warnock on Hecky and last nights game

Warnock on Hecky and last nights game

RIVAL manager Neil Warnock has praised the ‘remarkable job’ done by Paul Heckingbottom at Barnsley, labelling his high-flying Cardiff City side’s 1-0 win at Oakwell as their best result of the season.

A scrappy late goal from Callum Paterson enabled the Bluebirds to leapfrog Warnock’s former club Sheffield United into second place in the Championship, as well as clip the wings of in-form Barnsley in the process.

But despite the jolt for the Reds and head coach Heckingbottom, veteran boss Warnock - chasing the eighth promotion of his managerial career - has been mightily impressed by the job done by the 40-year-old.

Warnock said: “I thought they found it difficult to break us down (on the night). But I do think that Paul has done a fabulous job. They lose their best players and replace them with young lads.

“We have played the best two form teams in the last two games in Brentford and Barnsley and they are the teams who have had good runs. I think he (Heckingbottom) has done a remarkable job here with the wage bill etcetara.

Joe Bennett clears from Ryan Hedges during Tuesday night's encounter at Oakwell. Picture: Bruce Rollinson

“They don’t have many days like this (Tuesday). Saturday will be a fabulous game against Leeds and I suppose it was: ‘Tuesday night, bloody hell - Cardiff City - oh my God..’

“Whereas on Saturday, it will be buzzing and a great atmosphere for the Barnsley fans. I think you will see a different type of game.”

The Yorkshireman, who had a spell in his playing days at Oakwell in the late 1970s, added: “I think this was our best result of the season. What you have to do away from home is grind these results out if you want to stay up there.

“I think it is nice to see unfashionable clubs like ourselves and Sheffield United up there because everyone expects all the big-money people, with the wages that they have got, to be flying high.

I do think that Paul has done a fabulous job. They lose their best players and replace them with young lads.

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock on Barnsley counterpart, Paul Heckingbottom
    “I think Chris (Wilder) has done a fantastic job at my old club and I think we are also up there (on merit).”

Yorkshire Post

Always liked Warnock. Easy to be polite and complimentary after a win though.

I don’t mind him either , he’s definitely a love him or hate him character though

I’d slap,him, and my 80 yr old mother said the same today without any prompting. She said he wor a dirty cheatin bleed*r when he played for us.

One of my pals years ago used to call him snails fatcock. It's not funny and it doesn't make any sense but it goes through my head every time I hear him mentioned or see him on owt.

I think of David Ginola because of him being called Colin it gets me thinking of people with anagrams in their names.