+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Name the ground

Valley parade was pretty sh1tty back then. When you think that the stand opposite the one on the photo was the one that burned darn and took 50 odd poor souls. Yes it were a reight sh1t heap wo that grarnd. I still feel sick thinking about that. Christ if the stand that burned darn had fences as many stands did back then, the death toll woulda been astronomical.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Valley Parade Bradford City

That stand could tell a few stories at Bradford v Barnsley games in the 70's , the 78 game was frightening .
    Afooar my time that mate but I distinctly remember walkin to valley parade when a wo younger and them Asian community streets near the ground were quite an intimidating place to walk thru. Pa ki s en masse givin thi death stare and mekkin comments. First time I felt like a foreigner in mi own country wo that. Horrible dog hole and couldn't wait to get the feck art o it

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Afooar my time that mate but I distinctly remember walkin to valley parade when a wo younger and them Asian community streets near the ground were quite an intimidating place to walk thru. Pa ki s en masse givin thi death stare and mekkin comments. First time I felt like a foreigner in mi own country wo that. Horrible dog hole and couldn't wait to get the feck art o it
    I went regular to Bradford as a school kid with my old man and a couple of uncles , we always sat in the stand because of all the bother at Bradford v Barnsley matches , the one that burned down years later !!!! .

First time I went with my mates was early in the 78/79 season when Clarkey first took over , we won 2-1 .

No segregation and fights breaking out for the whole afternoon , we moved to that stand that's pictured , bad move , even worse in there .

All the coaches had bricks thrown through the windows and you had to lay on the floor till you got out of Bradford .

I once read in the chronicle 40 years ago column , over 100 arrested at the 73 game at Oakwell , magistrates sat all saturday night to deal with it , attendance was less than 5k that day , WTF !!

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I went regular to Bradford as a school kid with my old man and a couple of uncles , we always sat in the stand because of all the bother at Bradford v Barnsley matches , the one that burned down years later !!!! .

First time I went with my mates was early in the 78/79 season when Clarkey first took over , we won 2-1 .

No segregation and fights breaking out for the whole afternoon , we moved to that stand that's pictured , bad move , even worse in there .

All the coaches had bricks thrown through the windows and you had to lay on the floor till you got out of Bradford .

I once read in the chronicle 40 years ago column , over 100 arrested at the 73 game at Oakwell , magistrates sat all saturday night to deal with it , attendance was less than 5k that day , WTF !!

Feck me that's mental innit!!

Thing is mate I distinctly remember their fans celebrating promotion with us in Peel sq despite being in dire relegation trouble themselves. We reciprocated by taking supporters to valley parade for their last home game which saw them win & survive I think. I was always under the impression we were respectful of each other as clubs and had a close affinity. That was until I read thi story

Quote Originally Posted by pass_and_move View Post
    Feck me that's mental innit!!

Thing is mate I distinctly remember their fans celebrating promotion with us in Peel sq despite being in dire relegation trouble themselves. We reciprocated by taking supporters to valley parade for their last home game which saw them win & survive I think. I was always under the impression we were respectful of each other as clubs and had a close affinity. That was until I read thi story
    83 cup match was full on as well , we took thousands that day , we went on the football special , we won 1-0 and the walk back to the station was mental , police lost control and it was a free for all in the city centre , big payback day for Bradford and some old scores settled , never really tried it on after that .

You'd struggle to find a rivalry today .

Name:  4F423BC5-D2D5-49F9-9301-F53649973ABF.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  19.6 KB

Wolves

Mollineux

It certainly is. Before it morphed into the ghastly custard bowl.

Name:  AFBF1BB2-4C82-4843-8347-54367AE75825.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  14.1 KB

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast