+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Uncle Neil

Quote Originally Posted by PeteWaller View Post
    Nice article.

For me, that was the start of the current position we find ourselves in. TS could have saved his sponsorship money, invested in NW, got a return for simply staying in the championship and listening to the advice NW would have given in order to start building the club's infrastructure for a sustainable future in the Championship. If NW had wanted £2 million it would still have been worth it imo and Stewart would have had change to spend or use as he had wanted. Wasn't it £3.7 million he gave in sponsorship?

We would still be getting Championship revenues, Championship crowds, Championship atmospheres. No brainer, he wou
    ld have stayed. What did we do? Stubbs................ and the rest is history
    You know it's not as straightforward as that Pete.
    The Sponsorship cash is put in to subsidise our hobbies, without it we would be too far in the 'red' every season. Yes we would have been in the Championship unfortunately selling 6,500 season tickets is nowhere near enough to generate the required revenue.
    I was under the impression that TS and NW had shook on the deal and then Uncle Colin had second thoughts that particular weekend.
    Not clicked on the link so can't comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    You know it's not as straightforward as that Pete.
    The Sponsorship cash is put in to subsidise our hobbies, without it we would be too far in the 'red' every season. Yes we would have been in the Championship unfortunately selling 6,500 season tickets is nowhere near enough to generate the required revenue.
    I was under the impression that TS and NW had shook on the deal and then Uncle Colin had second thoughts that particular weekend.
    Not clicked on the link so can't comment on it.
    ........ and that's the issue. There is no ambition. There are times in business and TS of all people knows this that you have to invest and yes, speculate. We could easily end up more in the "Red" by lingering around in L1 and even L2. A £10 million investment or near that mark would have made a measurable difference to our status/future and in my opinion it would have been rewarded. Easy to spend other people's money I know but no one buys a football club without the notion it will probably be a severe cash burner. Relative to his business the sponsorship monies are not a lot and if TS hadn't expected to dip into his pockets when emerging as our saviour then he was naïve. Naïve I believe he is not. Poor investment in people and infrastructure has been the real problem and I don't see that lessons have been learned. NW would have corrected that with investment. That investment was turned down and found to be too expensive for TS's liking. I get that and it is his money so he choses what to do with it. But talk of big budgets have been silly and not materialised and if people are saying the big budget is being used to pay wages, then that reinforces my point. This team is reliant on one loan player, has no defence and shows little in the way of tactical knowledge. The mistakes of our recent past - Dextor Blackstock, Stubbs and many others are where the budget has gone not to mention the money for Danny ward. A lot of fans are happy to turn up and watch their team play in whatever standard of football. Some fans want more and I'm in that camp.

Football is a product, nothing more so I believe you can only stretch loyalty so far. If you have been going to a restaurant for years because the food is good, the atmosphere is good, the service is great and you feel comfortable, you are willing and likely to continue going there until all that changes. In time, say, the restaurant is sold to a new owner who completely revamps it, provides modern fixtures and fittings, changes the menu to what they want to sell rather than what the punters actually want to eat. The staff are rude, the food is average at best and all of a sudden the product is no longer value for money. Do you still go and pay your dues even though you no longer feel that the product is value for your time and money? Eventually, the promises of the new owner wear thin and the restaurant starts to lose its' sole and ambiance. Do you still go out of loyalty? Loyalty to what? Chances are you stop going and I worry that many fans will stop going unless things change. Cheap and cheerful RUFC will not be the place many fans want to pay their hard earned money to visit.

An investment in and with NW would have been the answer. We missed a trick and now we will not be able to attract anything of worth in the managerial stakes or player stakes. I doubt even Hursty would come now. Why would he?

As loyal as you are George, I can't believe you are enjoying your RUFC footy like you did.

Good post PW.

But I guess we'll never know how much TS is able / willing to keep putting in.

At least we have a club to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    Good post PW.

But I guess we'll never know how much TS is able / willing to keep putting in.

At least we have a club to discuss.
    Yes that's true but how long do we have to keep being grateful?
    If there is no apparent ambition or coherent plan and the club starts to stagnate or even goes into decline, then people will vote with their feet. Rotherham United are not the only gig in town.
    Things feel a bit stale right now and some of the natives are getting restless. It will be interesting to see if TS and his cohorts do anything in January to lift the mood.
    I'm not sure they will.

What's at the end of the rainbow. All these massive clubs? go up to the prem' knowing they can't compete. As long as RUFC are keeping the interest going will do for me. But got to say if we fall away will be a downer after last season.

That analogy of the restaurant is exactly what happen to my local about 6 months ago.
    New landlord spent a load of money sprucing it up, sacked the Chef that everyone liked and are now doing the cooking themselves
    Lost a lot of trade because they changed to one thing everyone went in for - great food.

Quote Originally Posted by flourbasher View Post
    That analogy of the restaurant is exactly what happen to my local about 6 months ago.
    New landlord spent a load of money sprucing it up, sacked the Chef that everyone liked and are now doing the cooking themselves
    Lost a lot of trade because they changed to one thing everyone went in for - great food.
    It's a good analogy but doesn't quite transfer to football though does it because of team 'loyalty'. At the moment the best 'restaurant' in SY is Bramall Lane but I can't see many Millers 'eating' there? Last year RUFC served up turds for steak and piss for gravy but 7,000 dined on it every other week, had a 3 month break and turned up again in August to hope the restaurateur and his head chef had better offerings. Some weeks they do, some weeks they don't. Football is often about the hope that the meal will be better next week. It's 'flame grilled' into part of being a fan but as shown on here with Pete and LeedsMiller there comes a time where you decide to change your diet or eat somewhere else.

It does transfer to football.
    In any crowd there will be different types of fans....diehards, glory seekers and some in the middle.
    Most of glory seekers and some of those in the middle group will stay in their own kitchen.

It could have gone something like this

TS: Thanks Neil, I want you to stay on next season and I'll offer you 10 per week.

NW: Yep, I've bloody loved it here and would love to stay but I want 20 per week.

TS: Listen Neil, I've got this amount in the budget besides your 10 if you take it.

NW: I' won't take less than 20.

TS: Bloodyhell Neil, I'll tell thee what. Take all that budget and take out of it 10 for yourself and the 10 I'm offering you but that's it.

NW: I'll have to think about that because there's a load of players needing replacing.

Later that summer. Mr. Warnock, we're a Championship club and would like to offer you the job as manager at our Lancashire club how much will it cost us for your services?

NW: Rotherham have offered me 20 per week so you'll have to beat that.

NW: Why are you laughing?

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    It could have gone something like this

TS: Thanks Neil, I want you to stay on next season and I'll offer you 10 per week.

NW: Yep, I've bloody loved it here and would love to stay but I want 20 per week.

TS: Listen Neil, I've got this amount in the budget besides your 10 if you take it.

NW: I' won't take less than 20.

TS: Bloodyhell Neil, I'll tell thee what. Take all that budget and take out of it 10 for yourself and the 10 I'm offering you but that's it.

NW: I'll have to think about that because there's a load of players needing replacing.

Later that summer. Mr. Warnock, we're a Championship club and would like to offer you the job as manager at our Lancashire club how much will it cost us for your services?

NW: Rotherham have offered me 20 per week so you'll have to beat that.

NW: Why are you laughing?
    Oh Frog you are naughty as you said you’d never leak that story out.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast