+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Jo Williams

Jo Williams

There are some young players who are happy to sit in academies and play for the Under 23s. Joe Williams is not one of them.

At 20 years of age and without a senior appearance to his name, the Everton midfielder headed to Oakwell on loan in the summer in search of first-team football.

"I think there are too many young players that are happy for an easy ride," he told Sky Sports, after winning the Sky Bet Championship Goal of the Month award for October. "It's important to challenge yourself and go to a place where you don't know anyone with new coaches and play with a bit more pressure."

And challenge himself he has. Williams was an ever-present in the league for Barnsley, until a fifth yellow card of the season at Norwich last weekend ruled him out for their midweek defeat against Cardiff.

At Everton since the age of seven, Williams was part of the Under-23s side that became Premier League 2 champions under David Unsworth (who Williams believes is ready for the Everton job on a permanent basis) last season, but he admits the actual second tier is a different level altogether.

"The pace of the Championship caught me by surprise at first, but I've settled in well and I think it suits my game now," he said. "I like to play quickly and I'm definitely learning more here than I would playing Under-23 football at Everton.

"Even just making the squad or being involved in the first team here is helping my development. But I do want to play every week and get a good season under my belt. I want to show I can do it and that I'm capable of doing it, and it's so far, so good."

Great player , shame he’ll not be signing permanent

I thought him and Potts were both sh1te but they've won me round. Great little player. I'd like to see Moncur, Potts and Williams as the three. Mcgeehan's ar53 has fell out and Gardner is a poor mans Matty James

Has Mallan sent Heckys wife a valentine or sumat?

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    I thought him and Potts were both sh1te but they've won me round. Great little player. I'd like to see Moncur, Potts and Williams as the three. Mcgeehan's ar53 has fell out and Gardner is a poor mans Matty James

Has Mallan sent Heckys wife a valentine or sumat?
    I really cannot understand why mallan ain't ad a sniff, but I agree that Williams and potts have massively improved so far, cant wait for Saturday. Confident against any team in This league, but this is dirty Leeds. Coyr