+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pay peanuts and that's what you get !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Don't loan players wages come out of the budget ?

They gave up when Jackett left, PW was put in to take us to the end of that season. Did anyone expect we would spend loads of cash to try to save that season ?

He's only on a 12month rolling contract, give him till the end of the season.
    TONY will pull the trigger when he's ready to.
    We had 29 games left to play in the Championship when Warne was appointed.
    TS just gave up didn't he? But why?

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Don't loan players wages come out of the budget ?

They gave up when Jackett left, PW was put in to take us to the end of that season. Did anyone expect we would spend loads of cash to try to save that season ?

He's only on a 12month rolling contract, give him till the end of the season.
    TONY will pull the trigger when he's ready to.
    I wasn’t talking about wages mate.

Honestly I’m not expecting anything from this season however I’d like to see some progress in the team before the seasons over or am I hoping for too much?

As far as I can see we have 3 problems

First is we have no permanent no1 goalkeeper

Second Kieffer Moore is leaving us in January leaving us with ball yates and Jono

Third is that defence it needs sorting out. Wood will not be able to keep playing for us forever which will make it even worse for us if we leave it until summer.

More issues will pop up at end of season when contracts expire so unless we make some progress on fixing the current issues it will be like pulling at a hole you found in your cloths the hole will get bigger and bigger until it is thrown away

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    We played our 'get out of jail card' the season before with NW at huge cost.
    Don't think even someone like Uncle Colin could have saved us last season not without huge cost.
    Maybe the applicants for the managers job had all been on the merry go round of employed/sacked/employed, no outstanding characters like N.W.

Quote Originally Posted by kempo View Post
    Arrogant posting as usual from Kerr,dismissing perfectly legitimate opinions from others.

Post 32 is disrespectful to those people who did their very best at the time and did achieve their main aim ie saved the club from oblivion!

Why should supporters accept such mediocrity?..
    Why should they accept a club that is going backwards when they were promised incremental forward steps to success?

Supporters have a'moral' ownership of 'their' club and are significant monetary stakeholders.

This team is way below the required standard and although for you it's too early to judge,for most of us it isn't.

This team is poor and someone has to step forward and take responsibility for that.

As millertop quite rightly suggests...Does the undying gratitude to TS last an eternity and negate any criticism?

We are told that we have a top 5 budget so we expect to be in the top 5.

Someone is responsible for a team consisting of players that can't pass,a goalkeeper that can't catch,a defence that changes every game and cannot defend a set piece week after week,game after game,players who drop their heads when opponents score a goal,a coaching team that have unremarkable CVs.

You seem to feel that the people to blame are the supporters who pay hard earned cash but in your view should fork out more to earn the right to criticise.

Many of us don't agree with you.

The Chairman is ultimately responsible and he needs to step forward as does the coaching staff to explain why we are so bad.

Sit back and say nothing seems to be your answer..accept mediocrity.

I feel sorry for Warne but he seems out of his depth and yes I know I thought I differently when we won a couple of games but so what..Realism has now set in as it has with others.

As supporters we want a team of winners and if we are indeed playing with a top 5 budget then we should have a progressive team.

Of course listening to you,we are foolish to believe some things that the Chairman says..We should pick and choose from his statements..so where does the top 5 statement stand Kerr?..truth or untruth?
    I think you may be confusing legitimate opinions with honestly held opinions. Mellow and I hold different, but, I am sure, honestly held opinions on certain subjects and have had a reasonably well tempered debate about those issues. We can’t both be right and it is possible that we are both wrong in whole or part and so it is impossible to say who holds a legitimate opinion. We disagree and have debated, which is what grown ups do.

I do not agree with your view that supporters are moral owners of clubs and so we hold different opinions upon that subject. Can you expand upon your belief, which is a rather strange one, in my opinion? Yes supporters provide an income for Rotherham, but, just like most football clubs, the accounts demonstrate that the club is dependent to a greater degree upon funding from its owner.

Your comments upon post 32 are interesting. I’m sure that the people who took charge of the club between Booth and Stewart were entirely well meaning and had the interests of the club at heart, but they quickly found that they had bitten off more than they could chew and that running a football club is difficult and expensive. You state that they saved the club from oblivion. My recollection is that they left the club in administration and facing the possibility of being wound up.

Tony Stewart took on the Booths, took the brave step of walking away from Millmoor and, despite the predictions of sceptics on here, delivered a shiny new ground and an incredible run into the Championship. As I said above, I don’t think that makes him a saint, but he delivered where others didn’t. Despite that, you assert that I am being disrespectful to previous owners. I take it that you can’t see that you are being disrespectful to Stewart with your oh so repetetive ‘peanuts' jibe?

You say that my position is to sit back and say nothing. I’ve said what I think on this thread, why would I need to say more? But let’s contrast that to your position, which, as far as I can see, is to say nothing when the club is winning, but then fall over yourself to post as soon as they have a bad run to post in what can generally be categorised as ‘Look at me! Look at me! Didn’t I tell you so?’ posts. Or am I wrong about that?

Yours is the not the first allegation of arrogance that I have heard and almost certainly won’t be the last, but it is definitely the funniest given that it comes from you.
    Last edited by KerrAvon; 27-11-2017 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    He gave up because the situation was irretrievable. It would have been incredibly difficult to bring in the players that were needed, given that said players would take a look and would not fancy an almost certain relegation on their CVs and likely reduction in salary in consequence. Yes, Stewart could have thrown vast amounts of money to try to overcome that problem, but where would that have left the club?

As I’ve said before, Stewart’s greatest strength is that he is trying to run the club in a manner that is financially sustainable (by which I mean within the limits imposed by his ability and willingness to subsidise it). It’s also his greatest weakness for those who believe that they are the ‘moral owners’ of the club and that we should splurge the cash to try for greater on field success.

Kerr

I am sure that I don't need to explain the term moral ownership and suspect its part of your argument for argument's sake strategy so I will just leave it out there without explanation.

Nobody on here has disputed what TS has done for the club but some don't see why this for ever and a day trumps all criticism.

You don't agree and that's fine but I will not be drawn into another personal dispute with you.

You haven't really discussed the main points I make but prefer a more personal approach.

You may have missed it but peanuts is in the thread title which incidentally was not started by myself.

Enjoy your legal work today if that's what you do for a living and have a great day.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post

You say that my position is to sit back and say nothing. I’ve said what I think on this thread, why would I need to say more? But let’s contrast that to your position, which, as far as I can see, is to say nothing when the club is winning, but then fall over yourself to post as soon as they have a bad run to post in what can generally be categorised as ‘Look at me! Look at me! Didn’t I tell you so?’ posts. Or am I wrong about that?

Hat tip to magic for highlighting above.

You are wrong Kerr.

That's all very personal but doesn't really answer the question 'if we have a top 5 budget then why aren't we in the top 5'

Surely the answer isn't 'TS built a shiny new ground'

OP says we are "Only six points from safety!!!". I'll take that in November.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    He gave up because the situation was irretrievable. It would have been incredibly difficult to bring in the players that were needed, given that said players would take a look and would not fancy an almost certain relegation on their CVs and likely reduction in salary in consequence. Yes, Stewart could have thrown vast amounts of money to try to overcome that problem, but where would that have left the club?

As I’ve said before, Stewart’s greatest strength is that he is trying to run the club in a manner that is financially sustainable (by which I mean within the limits imposed by his ability and willingness to subsidise it). It’s also his greatest weakness for those who believe that they are the ‘moral owners’ of the club and that we should splurge the cash to try for greater on field success.
    Fair enough, but to just give up seemed a really strange decision with over 60% of the season left and a transfer window looming.
    What seems even more peculiar is that towards the end of the previous season TS apparently threw a shed load of money at Neil Warnock with the brief to rescue the club from an irretrievable situation and keep it in the Championship. That worked out rather well.
    Then he appointed a clown from Scottish football who promptly put the club into a tailspin. However, even then, TS attempted to retrieve the situation by appointing a respected manager with a proven track record at Championship level.
    That backfired spectacularly for reasons that have never been fully explained so TS appointed someone with no managerial experience and chucked the towel in with the majority of the season still to play.
    It does seem a strange decision but not as strange as the one to appoint Alan Stubbs after the miracle that Warnock performed.
    Still, as you say, TS owns the club and can run it how he wants. Doesn't mean that supporters just have to accept it and can't have an opinion though.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast