+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luton game

Luton game

Was interested to see how our new midfield would fare against the top of the table, They certainly are an improvement.

Luton were a good team. Their strength was in attack, plus what seems to be the mandatory nasty side full of dirty little tricks. Unfortunately the referee was more than willing to let them away with every one of them. Their defence were the weakness, which we should have exploited more. At times I felt we gave Luton far too much respect.

The first half Luton edged it, but the Alex put in a credible solid preformance. Think we deserved the bit of luck we had.

After the game Pete Morse said that once again we did not turn up for the second half. That is his new sound bite. Used to be he once again we have been inconsistent. Absolutely disagree with his comments yesterday. Felt that we got our tactics completely wrong by playing far too deep, That played into Lutons strengths and was the cause of the first goal. The second goal was an awful mistake by Walker. I do like Walker as a player but feel we would be a better team with him playing in midfield where his strength and runs would influence the games more.

Only when we were 2 goals down did we start to go on the attack where we could exploit the opponents weaknesses. Should have done that at the start of the second half. When we attacked them they started to panic, and increased their dirty tricks and time wasting. Yes we lost, but I feel with the current team we could build and improve

Got a suspicion we would be a better organised team if Kenny Lunt was left solely on the touchline. Pretty sure it is down to enthusiasm but it seems to me that David Artell over-instructs the players. Leaves them unsure of what to do.

Is Raynes injured? Or has he been dropped? Or has he said something that has not been appreciated?

Quote Originally Posted by ruocul View Post
    Was interested to see how our new midfield would fare against the top of the table, They certainly are an improvement.

Luton were a good team. Their strength was in attack, plus what seems to be the mandatory nasty side full of dirty little tricks. Unfortunately the referee was more than willing to let them away with every one of them. Their defence were the weakness, which we should have exploited more. At times I felt we gave Luton far too much respect.

The first half Luton edged it, but the Alex put in a credible solid preformance. Think we deserved the bit of luck we had.

After the game Pete Morse said that once again we did not turn up for the second half. That is his new sound bite. Used to be he once again we have been inconsistent. Absolutely disagree with his comments yesterday. Felt that we got our tactics completely wrong by playing far too deep, That played into Lutons strengths and was the cause of the first goal. The second goal was an awful mistake by Walker. I do like Walker as a player but feel we would be a better team with him playing in midfield where his strength and runs would influence the games more.

Only when we were 2 goals down did we start to go on the attack where we could exploit the opponents weaknesses. Should have done that at the start of the second half. When we attacked them they started to panic, and increased their dirty tricks and time wasting. Yes we lost, but I feel with the current team we could build and improve

Got a suspicion we would be a better organised team if Kenny Lunt was left solely on the touchline. Pretty sure it is down to enthusiasm but it seems to me that David Artell over-instructs the players. Leaves them unsure of what to do.

Is Raynes injured? Or has he been dropped? Or has he said something that has not been appreciated?
    I believe that Raynes was injured a week ago and missed the away game. Not sure whether or not he has now recovered. The defence (apart from the stupid mistake that led to their second goal), did not do too badly in keeping the Luton attack at bay IMO. I thought we should have buried two easy chances in that first half, which may have had a different complexion on the game, but that is football. The lads never gave up and I was not too disappointed at the final whistle, with an enthusiastic performance. They are a good team and the league position does not lie. I thought we were unlucky not to grab a point from that one to be honest, as there was a suspicion of offside for one of their goals. We are struggling, but I cannot see how a change of manager at this point in the season, will make any odds. We need to stick with what we have got and give the man a chance.

Not talking about a change in manager. Just believe it would probably/possibly be better for KL to do the line on matchday.

Quote Originally Posted by ruocul View Post
    Not talking about a change in manager. Just believe it would probably/possibly be better for KL to do the line on matchday.
    Yes, I know that you weren't. Mine was just a general comment, as there has been much talk on social media concerning this factor.

Taking a long, hard look at Saturday's game in retrospect (and a totally personal view), I think we deserved to lose. A draw would have been very welcome, but for much of the game Luton did not look like League toppers.
    The Alex defence is terminally weak - which is a dreadful thing to say since early in the season we looked quite strong. The midfield is pretty much non-existent (perhaps down to injuries?). The attack can be skilful, but it lacks pace. One simple fact: we didn't score.

This division, as last season, is open to any team that can show spark. When we do, we win. My concern is that we do not look like a cohesive, creative team. In Division 2 you're not going to get the individual talent of a top Div 1 or Championship team, but if the management - all of them - get self-belief and confidence up, then results will follow. My case in point is Notts County: there are few in that squad I'd rate highly, but their new manager has created a fantastic winning team. This sticks in my craw: I don't like Notts County.

On most of your comments AL I have to disagree. Our defence is far from terminally weak, in fact it is quite strong especially when Raynes is there organising things. Personally I think Walker should be in midfield, not playing CB. Until the last 2 games our virtually non-existent midfield resulted in our defence being overrun. They offered no protection for the defence.

Yes we did have virtually a non-existent midfield for far too long, but the main reason for that is no longer in the team. Perry NG and Harry Pickering have made a very positive change and are a great improvement. At least they are disciplined and know their job and what their duties are.

It has been so easy to criticise our forwards but to be fair for far too many games they had no constructive support from midfield. One of our players was slowing our attacks all the time and it left our forwards isolated. Plus our defence had no faith in our midfield and understandably were lumping it up the field.

We now have a new midfield and I think we should give them time and encouragement. I really do believe that moving Brad Walker into midfield could transform our team. For this reason I would go 3-5-2 formation.

IMO opinion for a long period our team selection was more than poor. Now it has improved it is time to get behind them.

I agree with ruocol, for the most part.

We rode our luck a touch in the first half, but also had chances of our own so all square was fair. I couldn’t understand why the manager changed things at half time, especially moving Pickering from CM to a wider role. The withdrawal of Ainley , albeit for Bowery, took away a great part of our craft and the subsequent changes made it worse: the sight of Daggers in midfield does not fill me with hope I’m afraid.

It’s hard to have a go at the defence for the last 2 matches as we’ve been without 2 first choice CBs (Raynes and Ray), the regular RB was in midfield and then the regular LB gets injured. It never rains, etc etc. Perry and Harry looked decent n the first half, but I agree Walker should be there. The lack of a proper RB (the big mistake of the transfer dealings IMO) has prevented Perry being pushed forward - or reverting to CB - and we have been found out, despite him making a decent fist of it.

We lack midfield craft, but the strikers are also guilty of missing chances. Daggers can’t buy a goal and Porter’s early season form has disappeared. I like Bowery for his work rate, but prolific he ain’t, all of which means that we need one of Dagger’s famous streaky spells - and soon!

Having said all that, I do believe we are better equipped than 12 months ago. The squad is stronger, particularly when George and Jonah return. Time for them to prove me right and the growing number of doubters wrong. Relegation will mean the automatic downgrading of the Academy, which will delight some, but means we will have come full circle from the day Mr Gradi walked through the door.

We
    Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    I agree with ruocol, for the most part.

We rode our luck a touch in the first half, but also had chances of our own so all square was fair. I couldn’t understand why the manager changed things at half time, especially moving Pickering from CM to a wider role. The withdrawal of Ainley , albeit for Bowery, took away a great part of our craft and the subsequent changes made it worse: the sight of Daggers in midfield does not fill me with hope I’m afraid.

It’s hard to have a go at the defence for the last 2 matches as we’ve been without 2 first choice CBs (Raynes and Ray), the regular RB was in midfield and then the regular LB gets injured. It never rains, etc etc. Perry and Harry looked decent n the first half, but I agree Walker should be there. The lack of a proper RB (the big mistake of the transfer dealings IMO) has prevented Perry being pushed forward - or reverting to CB - and we have been found out, despite him making a decent fist of it.

We lack midfield craft, but the strikers are also guilty of missing chances. Daggers can’t buy a goal and Porter’s early season form has disappeared. I like Bowery for his work rate, but prolific he ain’t, all of which means that we need one of Dagger’s famous streaky spells - and soon!

Having said all that, I do believe we are better equipped than 12 months ago. The squad is stronger, particularly when George and Jonah return. Time for them to prove me right and the growing number of doubters wrong. Relegation will mean the automatic downgrading of the Academy, which will delight some, but means we will have come full circle from the day Mr Gradi walked through the door.

Quote Originally Posted by As it is View Post
    We
    We have already gone full circle from when Dario walked through the door! . Thank mr hassells and our board for that

The board of which Gradi is and always has been a member.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast