+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gutted--but what do we learn?

Gutted--but what do we learn?

1. I thought the team was tiring before half time and that fresh legs were needed.

Particularly Defour and I thought Hendrick wasn't that visible.

2. We waited until 60 something minute to make changes and I'm not a lover of Woods and Barns using the hoof ball to them and I don't have a lot of good things to say about Westwood who came on. Is Arfield injured or no longer on the radar?

3. For 30 mins we looked great in attack---then that was it and went defending for the rest of the game. Hate that. We will crack using that tactic and we did.

4. If we don't find a more sustained attacking route to goal we will find picking up points harder from now.

5. With several games coming up in rapid succession who do we "rest" and who do we bring in? Small squads don't give us choices and that is a real problem. Do we struggle on with the same team and just resign ourselves to tired legs and close losses?

6. The next four games are *****.

Arsenal are a good side and retain the ball well.

They had us camped in for most of the second half and only a very, very soft penalty separated the two sides at the final whistle.

Frankly apart from about £500 million, I saw very little to separate the two teams.

We played to our strengths like we have done so far this season and its served us well- just becos we lost to a very decent side dont mean we have to make wholesale changes- its not gonna happen so lets not spit our dummies out- we had pockets of good play where we took the game to them and had them chasing their tails- but for a stooopid disgrace of a referee and a post we might have got something .The raging goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post

5. Do we struggle on with the same team and just resign ourselves to tired legs and close losses?

6. The next four games are *****.
    I wouldn't describe 7th in the league and 22pnts from 13 games as struggling. Actually I'd say we're flying.

All games are *****, I'm not sure why the next four are any more ***** than any next four always are.

Two things we learnt:

We are worthy of our high league position in the Premier League;

Don't puts your hands on the opposition in your penalty box.

Brilliant first half display worthy of any team , outplayed Arsenal.

Competed in the second half , didn't let Arsenal boss us when they came at us.

Disbelief because it is the third consecutive injury time defeat to the same opposition .

Proud to be a Claret fan yesterday

As Sean says, fine margins.

Plenty of if's and but's yesterday. But we could easily have won.

We have gained plenty of points in tight games this season so far, but we are not going to win every one.

Let's hope the lads direct their anger in the right way on Wednesday and we get back on the bike.

I think that generally making few changes to the team really helps us to play as a team and I doubt that there will be many changes on Wednesday.

".....2. We waited until 60 something minute to make changes and I'm not a lover of Woods and Barns using the hoof ball to them and I don't have a lot of good things to say about Westwood who came on. Is Arfield injured or no longer on the radar?....."

This one intrigues me ---which game were you watching?

We played well in the first half and created chances and had matched Arsenal, therefore, there was no need to even think about changing anything. They stepped up their game in the second half and moved the ball quicker, however, we still restricted them an it was the 50th minute before Nick had a save to make and they only had one more effort on target --the penalty!
    Statistics will showthat we only had two shots on target, however, Gudmundsson had one that Cech pushed onto the post which resulted in Defour getting booked for dissent because he contested that the resulting throw in should have been for the Clarets --he was correct. Gudmundsson had another shot in th esecond half which Cech saved and Brady had his free kick tipped over,
    The penalty at the end was unfortunate to say the least and, on Lee Mason's performance yesterday would most likely not have been given if it had happened in the Arsenal penalty area at that time (probably not at any time!).
    Defour cautioned for dissent, Brady cautioned for a late tackle, however, Arsenal players constantly questioning decisions and Mustafi constantly fouling --nothing done except a chat. The tackle on Gudmundsson in the second half when he was breaking was identical to the Brady tackle because it was from behind and wiped him out --nothing given, therefore, no caution.

What have we learned? The 'big' teams will contiue to curry favour and will get away with harrassing referees --we knew that anyway. We have improved as a team and will continue to do so on a weekly basis.

We have not conceded a goal in open play for 375 minutes since the last Man City goal at the Etihad.
    Last edited by Supersub6; 27-11-2017 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Add another stat

Pretty much how I saw it supersub6.

Daft penalty to give away though!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Pretty much how I saw it supersub6.

Daft penalty to give away though!
    I look forward to us being awarded similar penalties in the rest of the season.

As if..?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)