+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: United suporters 51% share issue

United suporters 51% share issue

Why can't United do what Hibs are happy to do. Sell 51% of the club to the supporters. That way Stephen gets his money and leaves.
    On the Hibs website there is this:-

Supporters currently have the opportunity to own their share in Hibernian FC, with the process now easier than before thanks to a new innovative online method of purchase.

The new Hibernian share issue launched on February 25, with the Club setting up a new way of online payment following supporter feedback on the previous process.

Thanks to the technology offered by local financial technology business ShareIn, supporters can apply for shaes directly on the Club's own website by clicking the link below.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
    The Board is committed to offering fans the opportunity to own up to 51% of the shares in the Club – a controlling interest.

An original share issue which ended in August last year – allied with the ongoing activity of the collective ownership vehicle Hibernian Supporters Limited – has already seen supporter ownership leap from around 2% to more than 20%.
    Last edited by Jim_Jam; 27-11-2017 at 10:58 AM.

They are moving towards a controlling issue. I know we have the Arabtrust with shares but we could make it easier for the fans to buy into the club and actually own part of it. They can then feel more ownership. They hold a percentage of Dundee United.

The Hibs Board is committed to offering fans the opportunity to own up to 51% of the shares in the Club – a controlling interest.
    Last edited by Jim_Jam; 27-11-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jam View Post
    Why can't United do what Hibs are happy to do. Sell 51% of the club to the supporters. That way Stephen gets his money and leaves.
    On the Hibs website there is this:-

Supporters currently have the opportunity to own their share in Hibernian FC, with the process now easier than before thanks to a new innovative online method of purchase.

The new Hibernian share issue launched on February 25, with the Club setting up a new way of online payment following supporter feedback on the previous process.

Thanks to the technology offered by local financial technology business ShareIn, supporters can apply for shaes directly on the Club's own website by clicking the link below.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
    The Board is committed to offering fans the opportunity to own up to 51% of the shares in the Club – a controlling interest.

An original share issue which ended in August last year – allied with the ongoing activity of the collective ownership vehicle Hibernian Supporters Limited – has already seen supporter ownership leap from around 2% to more than 20%.
    Quite frankly the thought of certain 'fans' having a say in the running of our club gives me that absolute FEAR

Dundee United is his cash cow, without it he has nothing except a pub.
    If the fans own a controlling share he would be exposed as a feckless businessman, not investing but running up debt.
    Plus we are mere minions. We don't know how to run a business.
    Good idea in principal, but will never happen for us.

I don't really get this TBH. To activate the controlling interest and run the club all the fans who own the shares would need to get together and work under one organisation but that doesn't look how Hibs are going about selling the shares (to individual fans). So, in reality nothing will change for them.

I guess it could keep the board on their toes knowing that the fans could get together and change the directors. Just seems unlikely to me but you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I don't really get this TBH. To activate the controlling interest and run the club all the fans who own the shares would need to get together and work under one organisation but that doesn't look how Hibs are going about selling the shares (to individual fans). So, in reality nothing will change for them.

I guess it could keep the board on their toes knowing that the fans could get together and change the directors. Just seems unlikely to me but you never know.
    Thats if 100% of the 51% agree - could you imagine our fan base agreeing on anything sometimes?

Also its not stated whether these are the sale of existing shares or an issue of new shares to the value of 51%, therefore diluting the existing holdings. If cashflow doesn't increase then return on investment will be low and the holding of new shares will purely be a sentimental issue with novelty value.

Im not saying its a bad thing but the current board will retain control, they will be raising extra funding and if history has any bearing then that cash will be wasted/frittered/find someones pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by shedboy71 View Post
    Thats if 100% of the 51% agree - could you imagine our fan base agreeing on anything sometimes?
    I guess this is what I was trying to say.

I guess this is what I was trying to say.
    I'm 99% certain you were

I think the idea is you vote on a leader (chairman) like Real Madrid do.

The fans vote like they do in a Union or in parliament.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)