+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Message for Sean Dyche - and Premier League bosses

Message for Sean Dyche - and Premier League bosses

Good Afternoon.

As a Burnley fan of 55 years I am very proud of the way that you, our players, board and everyone around the club conduct themselves.

There is no better club for honesty, respect and playing the game in the right manner and spirit.

You are carrying on the great Burnley tradition in this respect, which I have been proud of since the days of Harry Potts.

HOWEVER, football has changed recently. Phrases such as, "There was contact. He had a right to go down" are used by the "experts". Some players are actually criticised for not going to ground in the penalty area if there is the slightest contact.
    It is now a very acceptable part of the game to dive - if there is any coming together at all.

The so called "bigger" clubs very obviously coach their players to dive.

I am proud that, under your leadership, we have never resorted to these tactics. Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and others certainly have.

And it costs us. The gulf in the budgets of our respective clubs is big enough without the "bigger" clubs being allowed to prosper further by not playing the game. The new retrospective ban for diving is simply a joke. It will not make a jot of difference, yet the Premier League chiefs have it in their power to change things. They choose not to. Perhaps I am being cynical to suggest that they do not wish to upset the "bigger" clubs?

I reckon that, over a season, we tend to receive around 4/5 of these decisions whilst, not being a diving team, we get very few dubious decisions in our favour. Recently, I can only think of a penalty given at Southampton last season. That would work out at around 8/10 points per season we are being robbed of.

The old saying "these things even out over a season" is not true any more. If they continue to cheat, and get away with it regularly, and we don't, then it will NEVER equal itself out.

So Sean, even though I hate it as much as you do, I think the adage "if you can't beat them, join them" is appropriate at this point. Because I hate not having a level playing field even more.

Reluctantly, I would urge you to incorporate this in your coaching schedule.

It is the Premier League bosses who are responsible for allowing this to become an important part of the game. Why should we keep paying the price for their neglect? They should hang their heads in shame. I have noticed even junior footballers in the park emulating their role models by taking a dive.

And, to the Premier League suits, get it sorted and stop sitting on your hands - you get paid very well for doing not very much.
    Last edited by 1959_60; 27-11-2017 at 04:03 PM.

I would never advocate Sean telling our players to dive 59/60 ,instead I would ask the premier league to step up their war on the players that are diving by giving them month long suspensions immediately.. Also fining and suspending the refs who won't make these obvious decisions ..Hate to say it, but it's time to bring in the video ref to stop these things occuring all the time...The big clubs would be against this as it would make it a level playing field for all the teams..

Alf, my point is that, the way these things are allowed to happen, we should not be disadvantaged for playing fair whilst the cheats continue to prosper.

Yes, I am calling for the Prem to take action, but in the meantime we can't afford to be Mr Nice Guy any more and continue to leak points because of it.

And, believe me, I NEVER thought I would say that.

I still wouldn't condone it 59/60, it's not in my make up to win by cheating at any sport..I can understand your frustrations though and see what you mean ..My gripe is with the FA and the refs who continue to let these cheats get away with it most of the time ..

Diving is widespread and not just confined to the big 6 . I would hate to see a Burnley player diving in the penalty box.

The introduction of a retrospective ban is a start has made little difference. One ban in over 200 PL games doesn't reflect the amount of deception that still exist.

Hopefully the powers that be will introduce better ways of combating the problem.

It would be a breath of fresh air also to see a ref strong enough to give a penalty when a foul is committed and the player doesn't go to ground.

We cannot stoop to their level - we have to make a stand no matter what the cost-

have you sent this to Sean himself-? dont suspect he reads this site tbh

It certainly goes against the grain. But how many times have we got to feel "raging inside" before we say enough is enough.

And I would wildly celebrate a "hotly disputed" penalty winner against Arsenal or City.

Top for teams that have been awarded penalties in the Prem era?

1/. Liverpool
    2/. Arsenal
    3/. United
    4/. Chelsea

Most of that will because, A/. They have been in the Prem in every season and B/. They probably attack more.

Still...we got 0 penalties the whole of last season. And so far we have got 0 this season. You may feel proud about the way we conduct ourselves (and me too), but we need to get a bit more streetwise in this respect - UNTIL something is done about it.

Or we will continue to leak points. It will NOT even out over the season.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    It certainly goes against the grain. But how many times have we got to feel "raging inside" before we say enough is enough.

And I would wildly celebrate a "hotly disputed" penalty winner against Arsenal or City.

Top for teams that have been awarded penalties in the Prem era?

1/. Liverpool
    2/. Arsenal
    3/. United
    4/. Chelsea

Most of that will because, A/. They have been in the Prem in every season and B/. They probably attack more.

Still...we got 0 penalties the whole of last season. And so far we have got 0 this season. You may feel proud about the way we conduct ourselves (and me too), but we need to get a bit more streetwise in this respect - UNTIL something is done about it.

Or we will continue to leak points. It will NOT even out over the season.
    We did manage to get one into the net by deliberately handling the ball last season .(Vokesy) which I didn't condone,even then we still lost..hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by In Dyche We Trust View Post
    We cannot stoop to their level - we have to make a stand no matter what the cost-

have you sent this to Sean himself-? dont suspect he reads this site tbh
    No, I was just letting off steam. But I reckon even Sean must be considering it.

As for making a stand whatever the cost...

The cost could potentially be enough points to relegate us. £100 million plus per annum. The end of our Prem adventure. And it COULD cost Sean his job.

We can't keep playing Mr Nice Guy and paying the consequence.

If the Prem bosses won't act then we must.

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    We did manage to get one into the net by deliberately handling the ball last season .(Vokesy) which I didn't condone,even then we still lost..hmmm
    That was not in the league though Alf, it was the FA Cup.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)