+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U23's - Just back...

U23's - Just back...

As me and my lad were at a loose end this afternoon, I thought it might be fun to dash up to Bracken Moor for the U23's game. It wasn't. It was bloody cold, the rain wasn't falling but blowing across a heavy pitch and we struggled against a handy Notts Forest team. After a decent and reasonably level opening, we were pretty dominated by Forest for the last 20 mins of the half, and they could have had three or four.

So 0-0 at half time and we declined canapes and Prosecco in favour of a well earned Bovril, as we moved from the spartan BladesMad Kop to the sumptuous surroundings of the Jamie Vardy Stand. It was a mistake. It was even bloody colder. tbh there wasn't much to get excited about in the first 20 minutes of the second half. Lots of misplaced passes and lost possession on both sides, but gradually their no's 7 and 11 on either side of the pitch were giving them the upper-hand. Little surprise when they got a breakaway and scored. It had been coming. We had a missed open goal, a free kick off the bar, then a goal to us, a bit fortunately really, but it was answered within a minute. And that was about it. We didn't look like getting back into the game, and 2-1 was a fair result.

Then we bid a fond farewell to Morgs, Del Geary and Jack Lester, (I don't think they saw us...they didn't wave back), and retired to a local cafe for three cups of tea, one to drink and one to pour over each of my knees to try and stop me walking like a WoodenTop.

Sounds like I made the right decision to give this one a miss,any young United player take your eye this afternoon FKB?

Thanks for the report Pops. I was out of town today so couldn’t get, so your efforts are much appreciated.

No surprise that the temperature was less than tropical - it never is up there - even in Summer!

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    Sounds like I made the right decision to give this one a miss,any young United player take your eye this afternoon FKB?
    To be honest, there weren't any standouts on our side. Sam Graham looks handy, as does Tyler, but it was all a bit disjointed and no-one would have got better than a 6/10 for me. Forest had some good players and you can see why they are riding high in the league. The centre halves seemed 3" taller and 2 stone heavier than ours, and their forward line looked menacing. I'm guessing we had a lot of kids playing? Most of them didn't look like they were shaving.

It's very difficult tryin to shave whilst running about have you ever tried it can't really blame em for not doin it

I don't know all the lads but they looked more 18 than 23 to me.

Quote Originally Posted by FatherKnowsBest View Post
    I don't know all the lads but they looked more 18 than 23 to me.
    I think that is part of a deliberate strategy FKB, Spoke with Del prior to the kick off and he alluded to that. Same at u'18 level, a lot of u'16's play for the experience of playing against older, bigger lads, not a bad policy at all really....

Yes, I understand tha. In the end its 'development' and thats how we are using it, rightly in my view. I know the oinkers are creaming themselves that they look to have the league sewn up, but playing first team squad players as they do surely means one less game for the kids to learn and advance. Its nice to win games at any level, but in the end we are producing many more league ready players, and I thought that was the point.

Quote Originally Posted by redalwaysablade View Post
    I think that is part of a deliberate strategy FKB, Spoke with Del prior to the kick off and he alluded to that. Same at u'18 level, a lot of u'16's play for the experience of playing against older, bigger lads, not a bad policy at all really....
    What sort of a wimp is Pops Redders? We stocky regulars thought it was quite warm dint we?I agree the Scabs deserved to win Pops report is accurate in my view.There's a friendly(behind closed doors) at Cliffe today v Oldham and i'm not givin away any secret news cos at least a dozen mentioned it yesdi. UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    What sort of a wimp is Pops Redders? We stocky regulars thought it was quite warm dint we?I agree the Scabs deserved to win Pops report is accurate in my view.There's a friendly(behind closed doors) at Cliffe today v Oldham and i'm not givin away any secret news cos at least a dozen mentioned it yesdi. UTCB
    Redders recieved a Birthday card from the QUEEN yesdi, HAPPY BIRTHDAY REDDERS, TOP MAN.UTCB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast