+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Luton Away.

I've been once, back in 1999. Kevin Rapley last-minute handball winner on a Tuesday night. I remember it seeming a bit dodgy on the way from the station to the ground, but nothing bad happened. As others have said, it's one of those classic old stadiums wedged in between terraced houses. I much prefer those grounds to the soulless out of town ones that replace them.

I have a feeling they'll hammer us on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    My 7 visits were in the 70s and 80s. There was trouble at all of them, including the 6-0, IIRC. Maybe they've changed since they've moved down the leagues. Maybe Luton is now a friendly, welcoming place. Oh no, hold on.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/481838...eaten-crowbar/
    Violence in and around football grounds has decreased dramatically compared with the 1970s and 1980s but, sadly, the sort of thing covered in this news article occurs too often in towns or cities up and down the country.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Far preferable to a featureless retail park on the edge of town.
    Give me a ground on the edge of town any day.

Name:  Notts County FC.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  95.9 KB

Oh Luton town fc.
    Yes indeed.
    Have had the odd altercation there.
    They are not the most friendly of people.
    However
    I wouldn't worry about traveling to kenilworth road.
    It's the same as traveling anywhere to any club
    They all have mindless morons that want a bit of trouble.
    but hey fellow pies.
    Think of the 3 points we take away.
    Ok then,just the one.
    Coyp

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I've been once, back in 1999. Kevin Rapley last-minute handball winner on a Tuesday night. I remember it seeming a bit dodgy on the way from the station to the ground, but nothing bad happened. As others have said, it's one of those classic old stadiums wedged in between terraced houses. I much prefer those grounds to the soulless out of town ones that replace them.

I have a feeling they'll hammer us on Saturday.
    What a night.

Happy memories for us oldies of visiting there. late sixties. 'Notts County hav'nt won at Luton for 42 years', (usual sort headline ignoring the fact that we had only played them a few times and hadnt been in the same division as them for more than 20 years! )
    Two of the most outrageously hit goals i have ever seen, the second being the best ever Notts goal i have witnessed and it was 1953 when me dad first took me down the lane!.
    Both from a Gentleman called Frank Upton who played for us at left half no 6.
    no1 hit a free kick from about six yards over the half way line, It went bouncing through past two Luton defenders and the goalie.
    no2 almost from the same spot but this time he hit it going at full tilt, the ball after travelling 40yds was still rising as it crashed intro the top corner of the net. the goalie didnt even dive it went rocketing in so fast.
    also remember dick edwards found himself laying on his back after a tackle, arched his back and legs up and did a 90 degree flip up and and back into the action.a round of applause from the crowd followed that one.
    result 5-2 to the pies.
    we will take the same again a week on Saturday mr Nolan.
    COYP see you there.

Can get a bit naughty there! Have been several times including when some Notts fans had somehow captured a Luton flag and were taunting the home fans!! Not normally a good idea and highly out character for most Notts fans! Anyway I'm travelling up from Folkestone on me Todd! I've got a ticket and should be cracking atmosphere, wish me luck! I'll be in the Bricklayers arms in High Town before match.

Quote Originally Posted by feeb View Post
    Happy memories for us oldies of visiting there. late sixties. 'Notts County hav'nt won at Luton for 42 years', (usual sort headline ignoring the fact that we had only played them a few times and hadnt been in the same division as them for more than 20 years! )
    Two of the most outrageously hit goals i have ever seen, the second being the best ever Notts goal i have witnessed and it was 1953 when me dad first took me down the lane!.
    Both from a Gentleman called Frank Upton who played for us at left half no 6.
    no1 hit a free kick from about six yards over the half way line, It went bouncing through past two Luton defenders and the goalie.
    no2 almost from the same spot but this time he hit it going at full tilt, the ball after travelling 40yds was still rising as it crashed intro the top corner of the net. the goalie didnt even dive it went rocketing in so fast.
    also remember dick edwards found himself laying on his back after a tackle, arched his back and legs up and did a 90 degree flip up and and back into the action.a round of applause from the crowd followed that one.
    result 5-2 to the pies.
    we will take the same again a week on Saturday mr Nolan.
    COYP see you there.
    If people want to talk football and not trouble, Notts have had several promotion campaigns flounder on the rocks at Luton. 75/76 (1-1) was really lost at Oxford and Blackburn but the final nail was driven in the coffin by failing to win at Luton. In 76/77 we were 3rd (3 went up) just 4 games out, but lost 4-2 at Luton, allowing the Scum to go up in our place ... the rest is history. The next year we lost 6-0 there. It's only 80/81 I saw us win then there then in 82/83 we lost 5-3.

I thought for one moment this was a forum

I'm not one to really knock someone's home town but Luton really is a **** hole , very very uninviting and it's like Karachi , more darkies than us white fellows

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast