+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The hold that Celtic FC have over Scottish football

The hold that Celtic FC have over Scottish football

Seven years ago this month there was a refereeing strike in this country that had never been seen before or since. This forced the SFA to bring in foreign referees to officiate Scottish football matches and what was the reason behind this? Celtic Football Club. They bullied, shouted and threatened all sorts until a referee who had made a mistake in a match involving them and tried to cover it up was removed from position and used this to support their daft conspiracy. Never mind that in the incident in question they were actually incorrectly awarded a penalty...but nah move on nothing to see here!

That club, it's supporters, various players and managers over the years have played 'professional victim' and stamped their feet and whinged and wailed to anyone who would listen that they were hard done to, downtrodden, victimised by match officials and anyone who disagreed with their warped, tunnel visioned, deluded views was pro-Rangers and therefore anti Celtic and also anti Irish and anti- Roman Catholic. Now, to any sane person this is obviously utter nonsense, but sadly people who repeat lies often enough and shout them loudly enough, the more gullible tend to accept them as fact and indeed sadly even some Motherwell fans but into their bigoted myth that if you show dislike of Celtic then "you must be a bigot". We've seen examples of that on this very board over the years and in some cases at Fir Park too, examples of Well fans being influenced by Celtic's 'victim propaganda'.

It's not just our fans who are influenced by them. It's various others and their clubs. Result of that is that Celtic can get ridiculous decisions given in their favour like the penalty on Sunday and very little is made of it. I can guarantee you, had Moult gone down like that in exactly the same circumstances up the other end and we'd been awarded a penalty for it then Moult would be facing a ban by now and it would be the number one sports story for weeks. For anyone who doubts this, look back to Celtic's 2015 SCSF against Inverness and the penalty they didn't get. They had supporters reps writing to the SFA demanding action and Josh Meekings of Inverness was offered a ban. Their chums in the press were greetin about it for weeks on end afterwards too.

Then last season, Scott Brown - who gets away with murder week in, week out - had a completely justified red card rescinded basically all because of the fuss Celtic kicked up over a dive by a Ross County player in a separate incident.

People love to go on about corruption in Scottish football with the preferred belief that it is 'The Old Firm' or more so, Rangers who benefit but from what I can see there is only one club up here who have the authorities by the balls and are having the entire game run for their benefit...and that club isn't Rangers.

Scottish football would be a much better place without Celtic FC and all the baggage that goes hand in hand with them, they are a cancer on our game.

Regardless of the merits, or otherwise, about what you say about Celtic, how on earth you can suggest Rangers aren't just as well looked after is beyond me. Never mind the countless decisions they've had over the years, they got a slap on the wrist fine for the EBT debacle and the great and good of Scottish football was falling over to have them kept in the top-flight, bounced straight to the First Division and then finally let back into the league rather than Spartans, completely ignoring their absence of accounts.

Both barrels there!

I guess you'll be shouting loud at Fir Park tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Regardless of the merits, or otherwise, about what you say about Celtic, how on earth you can suggest Rangers aren't just as well looked after is beyond me. Never mind the countless decisions they've had over the years, they got a slap on the wrist fine for the EBT debacle and the great and good of Scottish football was falling over to have them kept in the top-flight, bounced straight to the First Division and then finally let back into the league rather than Spartans, completely ignoring their absence of accounts.
    See this is the problem here, too many folk want to lump Celtic and Rangers together and won't call out Celtic for what they are.

This isn't about Rangers, they did what they did, they got caught, their club folded and now their name is mud and their current version are but a pale shadow of what they were in the past.

Maybe time was they did have a similar hold on the game as Celtic do now although I certainly can't remember it, but to suggest that they do now or that anyone else does is just nonsense. Have any other club caused a refereeing strike? Has any other club got such a hold over the media as Celtic do? Has any other club got match officials so terrified to make a decision against them for fear of repercussions, ie. windows smashed, family harassed, private detectives chasing them ala Dallas? Do any other club have such influence on other supports that they daren't say, even privately to each other in some cases, that they dislike that particular club in fear that they will sound like the bigot, the intolerant one? I don't think so.

Celtic ARE the problem in Scottish football. They control and manipulate the authorities, the media and other clubs supporters through their faux victim and pious self righteous mentalities. They don't give a toss about anyone but themselves and they are destroying the game up here for their own good and too many are too obsessed with Rangers and EBT scams to see it.

I'll say it again, had that decision went against Celtic and for us(or anyone for that matter) then our player would be facing a ban. As it is, all is quickly and quietly forgotten about because the schoolyard bully won. And THAT is the biggest problem we have in Scottish football just now.

Celtic are shocking but you can't say they're unique and then refuse to consider Rangers because it's in the past - the League Cup final is in the past as well :-)

If you look at the media reporting over what Rangers did, there's no they wielded a massive influence over what went on. Murray unchallenged, Whyte unchallenged, King until very recently unchallenged.

And if you think people don't say they don't like or even hate Celtic, you live on a different planet to me.

Celtic are indeed strangling the life out of Scottish football but they're not doing it out of spite, they're doing it because they think it's best for them. It's what virtually everyone does, hence the 11-1 voting structure remaining etc. I don't see us rushing to start splitting gate money with Accies, TV deals with Albion Rovers and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by LawSteelman View Post
    Seven years ago this month there was a refereeing strike in this country that had never been seen before or since. This forced the SFA to bring in foreign referees to officiate Scottish football matches and what was the reason behind this? Celtic Football Club. They bullied, shouted and threatened all sorts until a referee who had made a mistake in a match involving them and tried to cover it up was removed from position and used this to support their daft conspiracy. Never mind that in the incident in question they were actually incorrectly awarded a penalty...but nah move on nothing to see here!

That club, it's supporters, various players and managers over the years have played 'professional victim' and stamped their feet and whinged and wailed to anyone who would listen that they were hard done to, downtrodden, victimised by match officials and anyone who disagreed with their warped, tunnel visioned, deluded views was pro-Rangers and therefore anti Celtic and also anti Irish and anti- Roman Catholic. Now, to any sane person this is obviously utter nonsense, but sadly people who repeat lies often enough and shout them loudly enough, the more gullible tend to accept them as fact and indeed sadly even some Motherwell fans but into their bigoted myth that if you show dislike of Celtic then "you must be a bigot". We've seen examples of that on this very board over the years and in some cases at Fir Park too, examples of Well fans being influenced by Celtic's 'victim propaganda'.

It's not just our fans who are influenced by them. It's various others and their clubs. Result of that is that Celtic can get ridiculous decisions given in their favour like the penalty on Sunday and very little is made of it. I can guarantee you, had Moult gone down like that in exactly the same circumstances up the other end and we'd been awarded a penalty for it then Moult would be facing a ban by now and it would be the number one sports story for weeks. For anyone who doubts this, look back to Celtic's 2015 SCSF against Inverness and the penalty they didn't get. They had supporters reps writing to the SFA demanding action and Josh Meekings of Inverness was offered a ban. Their chums in the press were greetin about it for weeks on end afterwards too.

Then last season, Scott Brown - who gets away with murder week in, week out - had a completely justified red card rescinded basically all because of the fuss Celtic kicked up over a dive by a Ross County player in a separate incident.

People love to go on about corruption in Scottish football with the preferred belief that it is 'The Old Firm' or more so, Rangers who benefit but from what I can see there is only one club up here who have the authorities by the balls and are having the entire game run for their benefit...and that club isn't Rangers.

Scottish football would be a much better place without Celtic FC and all the baggage that goes hand in hand with them, they are a cancer on our game.
    These are the haverings of a mad man or a bad loser or both.

The referees strike was a result of the match officials and the SFA colluding and telling lies about what happened at a football match . If it happened to Motherwell I would have expected our club to have the balls to challenge what happened. Are you happy that this incident undermined the integrity of the whole of Scottish football not just Celtic?

I'm not sure why you need to get all defensive because in your narrow world it is has become unacceptable to show a dislike of Celtic. I don't dislike or hate any team we play and can't see why that emotion is a requirement to be a Motherwell fan.

Big teams get the decisions we don't. That comes back to the ability and integrity of the match officials not to Celtic directly.

If Celtic had the SFA by the balls as you contend then Rangers would have had their titles stripped by now and the SFA would be facing a clear out from top to bottom. The fact that isnt happening suggests your theory lacks substance or fact.

Finally, to describe Celtic as "a cancer on our game" is ridiculous stupid wee boys talk - grow up.

What a load of sanctimonious drivel, the ramblings of which wouldn't look out of place on kerrydale street, or the huddleboard.

I will not be lectured or pontificated by you, especially seeing as you vowed to boycott the team you support over your pathetic stance on Rangers and title stripping, something which has nothing to do with us and doesn't affect us.

I'd say it's you who needs to grow up.

after tonights game i think lawsteelman might just be onto somit

Well, their unbeaten run was saved last night by a blatant dive and a dodgy refereeing decision.

Indeed it was. Absolutely disgraceful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)