+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: League Match 15: Doonhamers v Inverness Caley Jags

Quote Originally Posted by arrol1919 View Post
    Agreed , always comes across as a decent bloke on here.

On to the game I’m hoping Lyle recovers from illness and starts ahead of Dykes or give Kane a chance who always gives 100% .
    I also wondering if Naysmith will freshen it up after admitting again that we’re running on empty
    A Queens fan who was at Dumbarton told me Kane made an impact when brought on . We desperately need people like him who are not first choice to do this . Kane hasn't done very much so far so want to see more , far more.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 30-11-2017 at 05:27 PM.

So last game of the busy run of games and it`s against a team that have only conceded against St Mirren in the last 9 games going back to when we played them away.
    I would like to see Kane start and with Fordyce out injured it is Rooney`s chance to shine at right back but he does like to pick up a yellow card.
    I would be happy with a point today but come on Queens prove me wrong and get the 3 points.

If we have aspirations to make the play-offs then this becomes a need to win game after a disappointing week. Rooney is a straight swap for the injured Fordyce and I would also give Stirling the opportunity to claim a permanent first team slot where he needs to step up to the plate with this chance. Kane is excellent with his hold up play but finishing does seem to be an issue however he has been unfortunate on few occasions and confidence is everything in football so hopefully he will get a break today. Saying that it is about time for Dobbie to convert more of those chances he has been spurning recently. ICT will be difficult opponents but I feel today's game is really important for the seasons long term aims. Mon the South

Well that's another no score draw with the Highlanders. Surprised to see Mercer ahead of Rooney at right back today but Kane and Stirling both merited a start after their midweek sub appearances. Fairly entertaining for no goals in the game.
    Down to 6th on goal difference with another 2 clubs on 23 points.

Thought that Kane did well today and Kerr rightfully MOM. Draw was a fair result and we might just have nicked it with Lyles late effort. Caley are no pushovers now and are well capable of beating anyone on their day. We really are at a tipping point now . People who have any loyalties whatsoever to Qos have to come to the games as the attendances are awful and FT football can't go on indefinitely. Don't blame this team , Naysmith or whatever because the rot started to set in about 5 years ago . Remember AJs team that were blasting opponents to pieces and the crowds seemed to stay on a level. I noticed this straight away and was baffled because a great run of form - in the past- would have meant growing attendances. Yes, Dumfries has a lot of poverty , low wages , people working weekends but something needs to change before we are watching Stenhousemuir and Arbroath every week.
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 02-12-2017 at 09:25 PM.

So we missed out on the win to take us into the top four however other results mean we are joint fourth so we can take the positive from that. Kane played well with endless runs occupying the opposition defence without carrying a goal threat. Stirling shows his pace but the end product is still unconvincing. Dykes was decent with some nice touches and link up play although he tried badly late on. Dobbie is back to trying too hard and was guilty of over playing the ball but without him where is the goal threat without Lyle to support him?
    Defensively we were generally sound and Mercer did fine in replacing Fordyce. Midfield Jacobs was again excellent, putting himself around winning many tackles whereas Rankin just ran around without much focus. It is this area of the midfield that I believe seriously lacks creativity to supply the forwards. Without real quality in this area we to often resort to route one lumping of the ball up the park much to the frustration of all. If we can address this issue come January then we can kick on and win the coveted play off spot with its financial rewards.

Back to playing the old Division Two clubs (now League One) is not the way to go. Queens at least got straight back up the last time they were at that level by smashing the opposition and winning the Double in the 2012-13 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    So we missed out on the win to take us into the top four however other results mean we are joint fourth so we can take the positive from that. Kane played well with endless runs occupying the opposition defence without carrying a goal threat. Stirling shows his pace but the end product is still unconvincing. Dykes was decent with some nice touches and link up play although he tried badly late on. Dobbie is back to trying too hard and was guilty of over playing the ball but without him where is the goal threat without Lyle to support him?
    Defensively we were generally sound and Mercer did fine in replacing Fordyce. Midfield Jacobs was again excellent, putting himself around winning many tackles whereas Rankin just ran around without much focus. It is this area of the midfield that I believe seriously lacks creativity to supply the forwards. Without real quality in this area we to often resort to route one lumping of the ball up the park much to the frustration of all. If we can address this issue come January then we can kick on and win the coveted play off spot with its financial rewards.
    Hi Spike . One thing noticeable is the amount of high balls getting punted at Dykes. This has to be a tactic of ours because of the regularity of it happening and I don't think it's paying off. I feel a bit sorry for the big man because although he is decent in the air, I am very sure he prefers it played in front of him for him to run onto. I agree with your opinion of the midfield. They are both very hard working but too similar in that they don't create much . There has to be one defensive type centre midfielder AND a more creative one beside him to complement each other. I would approach Celtic and see if we could get Thomson back on loan. The kind of surging player that could support the forwards as well , knowing say Jacobs is sitting in behind . As said, without looking too dangerous in a scoring sense , Kane looks strong and put a good physical shift in . Being realistic , I dont think a club like ours could get much better than him on loan so I would like to get this ' borrowing' extended ( but please score Chris ) The biggest miss - if we can't extend his loan - has to be Kerr . The boy has a bright future and I am quite sure he will go back to St Johnstone and be a first team regular .
    Last edited by JRSLEFTPEG; 03-12-2017 at 10:51 PM.

JRS you are correct regarding the continual punting of the ball to Dykes as it looks to me the tactic is to try and feed off scraps in the form of loose balls which simply does not work. We did the same when Anderson played with us with the same overall lack of success. I agree a surging midfielder like Thomson is what required so hopefully another loan deal could be arrange for him to return to Palmerston. Kane really needs to get a goal or two under his belt to boost his confidence on the scoring front.

The long ball tactic is not only boring but ineffective. We should be playing to our strengths like using Stephen Dobbie properly. He looks unhappy to me at times and who can blame him

On the subject of the poor attendances I really don’t know the answer. It’s not as if we’re sitting rooted to the bottom of the table and I’ve seen a lot worse football in my time. Queens remain one of the cheapest in the league to watch , kids for a quid season tickets but still the locals don’t turn up

What’s wrong with you ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)