+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T 50 billion Euros to leave the EU

O/T 50 billion Euros to leave the EU

I hope the Brexiteers think that's a fair price to pay for impoverishing us for the next 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    I hope the Brexiteers think that's a fair price to pay for impoverishing us for the next 20 years.
    Absolute bargain.

Sources in both London and Brussels said that no final agreement had yet been set in stone, but intense negotiations ahead of the Monday’s meeting appear to have borne fruit.

No figure has been explicitly agreed upon, but sources in Brussels highlighted that the EU had always been pushing for clarity on how the bill would be drawn up as opposed to an outright number.

Theresa May said in her Florence speech in September that no EU country “need to pay more or receive less over the remainder of the current budget plan as a result of our decision to leave” and that “the UK will honour commitments we have made during the period of our membership”.

Her commitments there were read in Brussels to equate to some £20bn. But after it failed to break the logjam in talks, Ms May held a crunch meeting with her key cabinet ministers last week and won backing to up the offer.

Interesting read from a German mep point of view

GERMAN MEP Hans-Olaf Henkel blamed Brussels for Brexit saying they changed the game after Britain joined the EU

The MEP and former business chief said the European Union is to blame for Brexit as Brussels ramped up integration after Britain entered the single market.
    Appearing on BBC News, the German MEP said: “It is our opinion and our conviction that Brexit is not only the fault, if you wish, of the British.
    “No, I think it is the fault of Brussels because Brussels has always done much too much centralisation and harmonisation

Mr Henkel went on to question if the UK was the one that actually left, comparing Britain's EU membership to joining a football club only for Brussels to change the game to golf.
    He said: “It’s like Britain having joined a football club and then the club management decided to play golf, then I ask myself who has really left whom.”
    The MEP also urged the EU to give the UK the type of deal envisioned by former PM David Cameron.
    He added: “We are addressing Brussels and want Brussels to give a deal to Britain, a deal which Cameron wanted and I’m quite sure with such a new deal, the situation in Britain would also change.”

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Interesting read from a German mep point of view

GERMAN MEP Hans-Olaf Henkel blamed Brussels for Brexit saying they changed the game after Britain joined the EU

The MEP and former business chief said the European Union is to blame for Brexit as Brussels ramped up integration after Britain entered the single market.
    Appearing on BBC News, the German MEP said: “It is our opinion and our conviction that Brexit is not only the fault, if you wish, of the British.
    “No, I think it is the fault of Brussels because Brussels has always done much too much centralisation and harmonisation

Mr Henkel went on to question if the UK was the one that actually left, comparing Britain's EU membership to joining a football club only for Brussels to change the game to golf.
    He said: “It’s like Britain having joined a football club and then the club management decided to play golf, then I ask myself who has really left whom.”
    The MEP also urged the EU to give the UK the type of deal envisioned by former PM David Cameron.
    He added: “We are addressing Brussels and want Brussels to give a deal to Britain, a deal which Cameron wanted and I’m quite sure with such a new deal, the situation in Britain would also change.”
    I think that's basically true. There were many that voted brexit because they were concerned over uncontrolled immigration and the pressures on resources it brought with it.

Some also wanted out because of the continuing interference of the EU judges particularly the human rights variety

Economics wasn't one of the major driving forces behind brexit for most folks.

Agree economics was not a consideration for many who voted out - but it will have a major negative impact on their way of life.

Dont remember seeing 50bn on the side of that bus.

That's true but even though the divorce bill is high you have to factor in the 7 billion loss we make every year this being the difference between what we pay and what the EU sends back for EU projects etc

In some calculations the 7 billion comes out higher. So I used the lowest as an example

The German guy is correct - when we joined it was the Common Market and the EU now want total integration which ultimately will lead to those remaining as a single country consisting of several principalities who will all speak a single language with a single ruling body dictating policy and of course the Euro.This would end in tears as right wing agitators would chase the nationalist vote and play the racism card as immigration becomes a problem.Imagine if immigration is uncontrolled what the EU would look like in 20 years time - all the basket case economies in the Southern part of the EU will be full of asylum seekers from Africa setting up home with tourism dying whilst all the educated people would head for Germany ,Brussels,Stockholm and Paris and Cheesemakers in Greece would still be retiring at 50 on full pensions .Cheap price to pay to get out of this idealist club run by a bunch of power grabbing non entities.

The divorce payment is the easy part now go solve the Irish border issue .

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast