+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Stopping the Rot

Stopping the Rot

I know that some, maybe many will say that this result just shows that the comeback against baggies wasn't really stopping the rot and fair enough - we all have different views, be very boring if we had the same.

However I still think it has done so.

Where i have been listening/watching updates we've sounded better than in recent games. We're playing Chelski at Stamford Bridge, i'd of loved something from the game but it wasn't ever in my win column.

Hope for Newcastle this season yet
    Chelsea 3-1 Newcastle

Danny Murphy
    Former England midfielder on BBC Radio 5 live
    They've shown spirit and fight and they're not going to play Chelsea every week. Today hasn't been that bad for them.

The above from Murphy I think is a good sign.

Ritchie has had a poor game, basically setting up 2 of their goals. He won't have that level of poorness each week.
    Lascelles will also be back soon and his organisation will help tighten us back.

Jan is approaching and hopefully we can get that key player that will make us tick/score goals etc.

Also - Joselu was finally dropped, shows that it can happen And Rafa did a sub before 70 mins

Whilst this has been another loss and that is of course a massive negative, i actually think we might be seeing some green shoots. Got a strangely positive feeling for the Leicester game.

Now feel free to shoot me for this I'm running for the hills

At least it wasn't an absolute scudding.

The Leicester game will be a great occasion-Wor Flags are doing their 125 year celebration with loads of new flags.

I was thinking similar as I put on the other thread.

Ritchie is bang out of form just now and I could see him benched when Atsu comes back, just like Yedlin was today. To be fair he had a big defensive job to do and didnīt get much chance to get forward.

We were never going to win today - they are technically miles ahead of any of our players - next 2 games are big ones for us.

Except for Hazard and maybe Morata + Christensen, I don't think their players played to their best. Just shows you the quality they've got. I watched the entire game and we gave them a good fight. I also thought the tactics were spot on today (though the subs baffled me yet again). We needed to do good defensive work which is tough at Stamford Bridge, but nonetheless we did it quite well I thought. We certainly managed to confuse their defense many times due to high pressure when they were playing the ball backwards. Not bad at all. We'll be fine lads, we just won't be in the top 10, that's all.

Rafas on a roll
    Shipping more goals than any other manger in the prem for us
    From a genius apparently

Only the blind willingly followed a fool

Luckily at the moment there are some teams worse than us i.e the bottom 3.

If it stays that way it will stop the rot and achieve our goal which is to avoid relegation. But no guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchMag View Post
    Luckily at the moment there are some teams worse than us i.e the bottom 3.

If it stays that way it will stop the rot and achieve our goal which is to avoid relegation. But no guarantees.
    Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    Except for Hazard and maybe Morata + Christensen, I don't think their players played to their best. Just shows you the quality they've got. I watched the entire game and we gave them a good fight. I also thought the tactics were spot on today (though the subs baffled me yet again). We needed to do good defensive work which is tough at Stamford Bridge, but nonetheless we did it quite well I thought. We certainly managed to confuse their defense many times due to high pressure when they were playing the ball backwards. Not bad at all. We'll be fine lads, we just won't be in the top 10, that's all.
    As long as we stay up this season i'll be happy.

We're a newly promoted team with a championship squad for the main, our world class manager was shafted in his targets (as far as i'm concerned - i know others don't agree). So as long as we stay up - fine.

Then we'll see some movement.

I agree that avoiding relegation is the best we can hope for but please stop all this delusional nonsense that we get after every defeat. There are no positives when you get beat 1-4 or 1-3. Playing well for a small part of the game isn't enough. I agree that Rafa hasn't been given enough money but, as I've said before, if Pardew or McClaren had had this run of results peope wouldn't be rushing to provide excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by occult View Post
    I agree that avoiding relegation is the best we can hope for but please stop all this delusional nonsense that we get after every defeat. There are no positives when you get beat 1-4 or 1-3. Playing well for a small part of the game isn't enough. I agree that Rafa hasn't been given enough money but, as I've said before, if Pardew or McClaren had had this run of results peope wouldn't be rushing to provide excuses.
    I don't consider it delusional in the slightest. I'd rather look for a positive and i think we've seen some today.

I call it as I see it - you can be positive in defeat the same way you can be negative in victory.

Quote Originally Posted by occult View Post
    So playing WBA off the park for the last 30 minutes and coming back from 2-0 down is not a positive?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)