+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quinn

There is a fashion for a back 3 with Pepe at City and with Chelsea.

The goals we tend to lose can be down the wings though and when players get to byline. Championship teams do try to play with width and it would require Murdoch and Robson to put a shift in. Good, fast wing backs are essential for this system

Could be worth trying

I don’t think we’d benefit from sacrificing the extra man in midfield to go three CBs.

In a lot of cases when we advance forward both full backs get right up the pitch.

Flood seems to drop in to cover the right back area unless he is advancing forward when safe to do so.

It is fluid but it is a really clever way of ensuring cover at the back.

Flood to cover right areas, Durnan in the middle and left footed Scobbie (1st choice) on the left.

It’s allowing us to overload teams to the point they retreat to their penalty spots.

If we had a taller and more physical forward like a Ciftci (who we’d never get back anyway just an example) I think we’d be sweeping teams away.

So for me, Laszlo has to look for that Complete Forward (for all you Football Manager players out there).

I think he has us playing in a way that we are actually quite decently covered as a squad and the system just needs that all round forward to cap it off.

I would say that if we did go three at the back we’d have to go two up top and probably sacrifice the wingers in favour of the wing backs as the main source of wide attack.
    Last edited by PortugueseFrank; 04-12-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PortugueseFrank View Post
    I don’t think we’d benefit from sacrificing the extra man in midfield to go three CBs.

In a lot of cases when we advance forward both full backs get right up the pitch.

Flood seems to drop in to cover the right back area unless he is advancing forward when safe to do so.

It is fluid but it is a really clever way of ensuring cover at the back.

Flood to cover right areas, Durnan in the middle and left footed Scobbie (1st choice) on the left.

It’s allowing us to overload teams to the point they retreat to their penalty spots.

If we had a taller and more physical forward like a Ciftci (who we’d never get back anyway just an example) I think we’d be sweeping teams away.

So for me, Laszlo has to look for that Complete Forward (for all you Football Manager players out there).

I think he has us playing in a way that we are actually quite decently covered as a squad and the system just needs that all round forward to cap it off.

I would say that if we did go three at the back we’d have to go two up top and probably sacrifice the wingers in favour of the wing backs as the main source of wide attack.
    I agree with much of this. I would be interested to see the back three and I dont think many forwards would enjoy playing against Durnan, Quinn and Scobbie. If we were to play the 2 centre halfs I would want us to have two proper wingers. King on the left and perhaps McMullan on right (with Keatings to interchange with them). Casualties would be Robson and Murdoch neither of who are attacking enough to be the main supply from the wings.

Lewis
    Durnan Quinn Scobbie
    McMullan Fyvie Flood/Stanton King
    S. Fraser
    McDonald Keatings/Nkoy

One major issue is that McMullan has done nothing in the past few months to justify a start.

Yes yes yes to an all-rounder forward - I’d be worried if McDonald gets injured.

3 at the back might be a decent option for some games but Csaba is getting a lot more out of the team using a similar formation to Rays - it just seems that there is a better understanding of what the players are supposed to be doing it and they are doing it well - that is clearly coming from training, tactics and Man management.
    Last edited by GingerPetric; 04-12-2017 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Quinn was braw as per OP title

I thought Quinn did ok saturday, but he spent the entire match getting the ball on his right foot.

No one else think McDonald has actually been quite poor the past two matches? I thought one of the biggest reasons Dunfermline got stronger was the ball wasn't sticking to him the longer the game went on, its asking a lot of him to play the role of a lone striker with his attributes, that not even taking into account his age, esp as the game got stretched.

McMullan played the lone striker role quite well early in the season, I'd have had him on in place of McDonald after about 65 mins on sat, his pace in behind would have been good on the break as they pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTaway View Post
    I thought Quinn did ok saturday, but he spent the entire match getting the ball on his right foot.

No one else think McDonald has actually been quite poor the past two matches? I thought one of the biggest reasons Dunfermline got stronger was the ball wasn't sticking to him the longer the game went on, its asking a lot of him to play the role of a lone striker with his attributes, that not even taking into account his age, esp as the game got stretched.

McMullan played the lone striker role quite well early in the season, I'd have had him on in place of McDonald after about 65 mins on sat, his pace in behind would have been good on the break as they pushed.
    Thats a good call to replace McD maybe 70 (or 66 mins ) with McM as i dont think we can expect 90 mins every game from Scott

Torn between giving McDonald a rest and the fact he can chip in with a goal or 2 out of very little. Did a hell of a work outside the box, but would have liked to see Keatings or McMullan given a run out just to give the defenders something different to think about!

Matty Smith too maybe - some options - just none of the height variety but...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)