+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer Market

Transfer Market

Reports have Arsenal & Citeh after Jonny Evans in the Jan TW with £30 million the fee mentioned. Would you sell him for that sort of figure? Nothing against the player but for me it has to be a yes.

How we spend that money is critical and our recent record of spending 'big' is truly appalling. Our 6 highest fees are

Rondon
    Chadli
    Chester
    Livermore
    Burke
    Rodriguez

plus krychowiak as our biggest earner. How many of those would you in anyway put an unreserved + against. For me it would be none!

Just typing that sends a shedder down the spine.

Not going to mention the P word just hope the change of manager means a huge change in our performance in the transfer market.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Reports have Arsenal & Citeh after Jonny Evans in the Jan TW with £30 million the fee mentioned. Would you sell him for that sort of figure? Nothing against the player but for me it has to be a yes.

How we spend that money is critical and our recent record of spending 'big' is truly appalling. Our 6 highest fees are

Rondon
    Chadli
    Chester
    Livermore
    Burke
    Rodriguez

plus krychowiak as our biggest earner. How many of those would you in anyway put an unreserved + against. For me it would be none!

Just typing that sends a shedder down the spine.

Not going to mention the P word just hope the change of manager means a huge change in our performance in the transfer market.
    I will probably buck the trend here, but I disagree with you. I wouldn't sell Johnny Evans for £30m because I think he's our best player.

In terms of whether or not we have performed well in the transfer market, we bought Rondon for £12m and I think we could get more than that for him if we sold him. Plus he's scored some ***** goals for us in the last couple of years, goals that have probably kept us in the league. So even if we let his contract run down I still think he was a good purchase.

Chadli we bought for £13m and there were rumours we were going to sell him for twice that much to Leicester or Swansea in the summer. Chester, I think we sold him for roughly what we bought him for (or even made a small profit).

Livermore, isn't my cup of tea. But he's an England squad regular and we'd easily recoup the £10m we paid for him, as we would for Burke and Rodriguez.

In terms of player quality you may have a point. But in terms of investments you can't argue with our transfer policy. Had we signed a 32 year old for £15-20m I would agree with you. But our policy seems to be that we buy players who we can recoup our cash on if things go south

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    I will probably buck the trend here, but I disagree with you. I wouldn't sell Johnny Evans for £30m because I think he's our best player.

In terms of whether or not we have performed well in the transfer market, we bought Rondon for £12m and I think we could get more than that for him if we sold him. Plus he's scored some ***** goals for us in the last couple of years, goals that have probably kept us in the league. So even if we let his contract run down I still think he was a good purchase.

Chadli we bought for £13m and there were rumours we were going to sell him for twice that much to Leicester or Swansea in the summer. Chester, I think we sold him for roughly what we bought him for (or even made a small profit).

Livermore, isn't my cup of tea. But he's an England squad regular and we'd easily recoup the £10m we paid for him, as we would for Burke and Rodriguez.

In terms of player quality you may have a point. But in terms of investments you can't argue with our transfer policy. Had we signed a 32 year old for £15-20m I would agree with you. But our policy seems to be that we buy players who we can recoup our cash on if things go south
    I can't agree 123 but isn't that what these forums are for?

Your assessment seems to be based on what we can sell them for. Firstly there has been tremendous transfer price inflation so a bit like buying a house even a bad purchase will tend to increase in value. Would this season's buys Burke and Rodriguez sell at a profit?

More importantly my + markings are based WHOLLY ON WHAT THEY DONE FOR US NOT WHAT THEY ARE WORTH. Your only comment on actual acheivements for the Albion is Rondon's goals. Well any centre forward would get the occasional winner but his record of less than 1 in 5 is not good enough. So it's no + for Rondon from me so far. In his defence I think the way the manager played didn't help him.

To finish on a positive let's hope Rondon isn't the only one Pardew can turn around and come the New Year I can put a few +'s

Watching highlights of City last night and Arsenal on Saturday, Jonny is exactly who they need, and it might go to auction.
    But if it were up to me I wouldn't sell him, not even for 50. They might even have a look at Hegazi, then we would be ****ed. GaryMac and Daws won't let us down, provided they are back to last season's fitness/form, but I hope the Management team have got a decent List, because Central Defence has been our best position for some years.

We need to see who reacts well to the change in management & suit the new managers playing style, which I reckon Chadli will

The early signs would suggest we need to see if we can cancel Krychowiak's loan...

I would be inclined to have a look who I want to sign then work out who goes to pay the bill.

The first player I would be chasing after is Timothy Fosu-Mensah...right back, centre back and right midfield was growing in stature every week under Louis Van Gaal then neglected by Mourinho and loaned out to Palace...19 years old and approximately £5m. He would probably jump at the chance to play first team football especially if we can start to move up the table.

I’d keep him. He is a known commodity. Going to the market, even with £30m, always carries a risk.
    The devil you know suits me.

18 months and he can walk away. 30 million is obviously tempting but is less than we would lose if the sale was followed by relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    18 months and he can walk away. 30 million is obviously tempting but is less than we would lose if the sale was followed by relegation.
    Very shrewd, young Christopher.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    But for me the real question is would selling Evans for £30 million and reinvesting in areas that need strengthing increase or decrease our chances?

For me it is a close call. We play a lot of matches between now and the Jan TW closes. I would give Pardew those games to see if he can get us scoring goals with what we have, If he can't then we sell and buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)