+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh dear, seems I disagree

Oh dear, seems I disagree

For the previous 2 games we had changed our midfield by putting Perry NG and Harry Pickering in the centre. Resulting in a good away win against Morecambe, and a credible performance against Luton. Certainly a 75% improvement on our virtually non-existent midfield. Would not want to repeat on here my words when I heard the team announced on RS.

Utter astonishment, the midfield that had looked so promising broken up and sent back into defence. Have to confess I was not aware that Lowery was injured. I had presumed that our management had finally come to their senses and dropped him. Oh how wrong can you be. Looks like he is first choice for CM. For me he is the principal reason we have had a non-existent midfield for most of the season. Lacks any discipline and runs round like a headless chicken with minimum contribution. Was not surprised when we were 3-0 down after 20 minutes.

So we ended up getting a 3-3 result. Was the comeback down to the management or the players. Not for me in any way. Two people IMO were to be credited with that. First our undisputed MOM the referee. Secondly the Blackburn manager. Why he elected to go negative and defensive when they went down to 10 men was a big surprise. No sound reason for that. They could and should have carried on attacking us. Up to that point we had no midfield and our forwards therefore were as usual isolated. He virtually handed us the replay on a plate.

Regretably I have to say that after that team selection and first 30 minute display I have very little confidence in Dave Artell. Lovely man but feel he is not ready to manage at this level. Leaves me very concerned for the rest of the season.

Lowery could score a hat trick, save. 3 on the line and you would still criisise. Note who pressured the Blackburn defender!

Are you height-ist?
    Have a look at the highlights.
    He was at the centre of anything good yesterday.
    Just be thankful we have someone who is comfortable on the ball so that we dont just resort to hoofing the ball forwards - or is that the style you prefer?
    I hope he's there in the middle on Saturday.

By the sounds of things, the worst decision DA made yesterday was taking Ainley off.
    Sounds like both he and George had their defence (ok, what was left of it ) on toast!

Jimmy you really are a total laugh. Would be interested in what you drink before the games, really must be potent stuff.
    Wow score 3 and save 3 could that possibly be fantasy football. It would appear you are a great admirer of the headless chicken type player.

The young boy may have potential for all I know, but someone really should start to coach him and show him how football should be played.

No Somerset I am not biased against players below 5`9". No I do not like hoofball, it is totally unproductive. Do I like the way Lowery plays? Most certainly not, he is a total liability. This brilliant passing you talk about. I presume you have clips of them, and I would so love to see them.

Take it Somerset that you totally dislike Perry NG and Harry Pickering in midfield. What have you got against them? Were you aware that Perry NG is recognised a one of the most accurate passers of the ball in our whole squad. Were you aware that NG and Pickering are considered the two with the most attacking attitude, as well as the strongest tacklers?

Best to stick with the headless chicken type. You can so relate to.

Quote Originally Posted by ruocul View Post
    Take it Somerset that you totally dislike Perry NG and Harry Pickering in midfield. What have you got against them?

Nothing at all.
    Never said I did.
    I just haven't seen them in that role, and I can only go on what I see - which will resume at Whaddon Road on Saturday!

I'm one of the few remaining strong advocates of the academy so Perry and Harry get my vote for a 1st XI berth every time. And what I will say, about Perry especially, is that he seems to have quashed that theory that all our youngsters are soft. I like him, he looks like he can handle himself out there and give as good as he gets.

But you always need a player who can thread a pass.
    We had it with Kenny in our heyday, and we have it with Tommy now.
    They have a lot in common - the grief they get for not completing a pass, but the chances are always greater for that type of player because passing is what they do, that is their game. The law of averages say the more you try something the more times you will succeed and fail. That's just the maths!!

Wow Somerset you really are keen on our young Tommy. Really impressed if he can thread a pass like Kenny. You must be aware of the incredible amount of assists Kenny achieved in his career.

In the stats how many assists has our young Tommy got to his name? A great big fat ZERO.

I feel I must chip in to defend our young midfielder. Personally, I think Lowery is going to be a very good player. He may be rather on the small side but he is happy to make tackles and is not intimidated by some of the big hairy arsed midfielders he comes up against. He may not have too many assists right now but we shouldn't forget that Kenny Lunt himself was not prolifically assisting from day one on the team. I think it is somewhat disrespectful to consider Lowery a headless chicken. He is a good young prospect learning the game. He has had a bit more football than I thought he would have but I guess that is down to the injury situation with Jones and Wintle.

I have no comment on the player himself as haven't see him play but my general observation of this sport is very few small players make the grade. Some do of course. George Best and Maradonna but these were exceptional players. My second point is the usual that we start to coach young boys for ten or more years which cost a few million pounds without knowing how they are going to develop, physically or mentally even with perceived footballing skills. And that begs the question. Given all that, are there better players out there in their late ****s or mid twenties in other academies and in non league that we can see now without too much risk or money?

My judgement is to look at all the other teams we play and ask that very simple question. Is he better or worse and its no good saying we have no alternative to play these 'kids' as there are plenty.

I know its a different game to when I was playing but ANY player playing in a midfield role that does not score goals or assist in them should not be on the pitch, or are being badly coached and/or are playing in the wrong position. Just my opinion folks!

Very good point Mike. No he is not playing in the wrong position. The problem is he is playing in every position. He is supposed to be in cerntral midfield but he is never there. He is all over the place getting in the way of all the other players/. That is why we are shipping all these goals

Mike ypu must have heard Terry on RS the other week talking about Lowery "He cannot score, he cannot attack, and he cannot defend" Unfortunately that is absolutely accurate. I know you are not keen on coaching, but boy does that young boy need it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast