+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if you think Tom Lawrence was not a good buy

if you think Tom Lawrence was not a good buy

Consider how bad it would have been if we had spent the same amount of money on Jota instead - the former Brentford player who was going to take the world by storm according to come.

Appearances 13, Started 12, Goals NIL. assists 3

Bet the Blues fans would love the £ 6m plus back on him at the moment. Some Brum journalists wouldn't even have him in the starting lineup, and they are in the bottom 3

Does the biz for Wales. Did the biz at Ipswich. Isn't, yet, doing it for us. The reason may not lie with the player........

A lot of people were pining over Jota. I think Lawrence is a decent signing, only problem is that he's not got anyone else offering much threat in midfield, so his freedom is limited.

Overinflated transfer fees can effect judgement in fans eyes, I admit guilt in this department myself. If we signed Lawrence for £750,000, people would be saying what a great bargain we've got.

I agree Adi and Lawrence could come good yet, I hope, but if we had spunked away £ 15 million on the two of them as was being advocated in various quarters, and we had had one goal and a couple of assists between them, then Kevin Hales would have looked a triumphal signing - or maybe even Eddie Lewis a wonder buy. Ok, well maybe not Eddie Lewis!

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    A lot of people were pining over Jota. I think Lawrence is a decent signing, only problem is that he's not got anyone else offering much threat in midfield, so his freedom is limited.

Overinflated transfer fees can effect judgement in fans eyes, I admit guilt in this department myself. If we signed Lawrence for £750,000, people would be saying what a great bargain we've got.
    ....meanwhile, the guy we DID sign for £750,000 well and truly put himself about when asked, made the goal with a neat pass and scored the goal by being alert when others weren't. what a great bargain we got!

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    I agree Adi and Lawrence could come good yet, I hope, but if we had spunked away £ 15 million on the two of them as was being advocated in various quarters, and we had had one goal and a couple of assists between them, then Kevin Hales would have looked a triumphal signing - or maybe even Eddie Lewis a wonder buy. Ok, well maybe not Eddie Lewis!
    Same was true of Derek Hales. Rog I always felt for the guy. He scored goals everywhere but Derby. Everywhere else he played he was played up top with a tall target guy and fed off the knock downs and flick ons. He was about 5 foot 9 or thereabouts but like excrement off a shovel from a standing start. He scored a lot chasing through balls from midfielders.

What did Derby do? Put a #9 on his back and expected him to be a straight replacement for O'Hare as the target man. The two players had totally different skill sets and were, in no way whatsoever, a possible replacement for each other. 4 goals in 23 games is a poor return for a striker who scored a goal every 2.5 games throughout his career (187 goals in 443 appearances). I believe it wasn't his fault he wasn't a success for Derby.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Same was true of Derek Hales. Rog I always felt for the guy. He scored goals everywhere but Derby. Everywhere else he played he was played up top with a tall target guy and fed off the knock downs and flick ons. He was about 5 foot 9 or thereabouts but like excrement off a shovel from a standing start. He scored a lot chasing through balls from midfielders.

What did Derby do? Put a #9 on his back and expected him to be a straight replacement for O'Hare as the target man. The two players had totally different skill sets and were, in no way whatsoever, a possible replacement for each other. 4 goals in 23 games is a poor return for a striker who scored a goal every 2.5 games throughout his career (187 goals in 443 appearances). I believe it wasn't his fault he wasn't a success for Derby.
    Good assessment. Charlton Legend, Derby just didn't get him

Not sure where the rogue Kevin came from....brain must be fried and intertwining Larry Bird's creative sidekick at the Celtics in the 80s

I've seen enough of Lawrence to see that he is a class player and one that we may well say was a crucial signing at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I've seen enough of Lawrence to see that he is a class player and one that we may well say was a crucial signing at the end of the season.
    Agree Swale, I like him and I think he will get better and stronger as the season wears on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)