+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump

Cheers whitty, got it now.

As far as I understand it, which is probably not very far, they delayed the move initially because they thought it might inflame the security situation and hamper the peace process. So every six months the CiC, who I assume is the potus, has to sign a waiver to delay the move further. Again as far as I understand it, the thinking now is that a 22 year delay hasn't improved the security situation and there is no peace process to derail.

What no one has yet explained is why, if this is such a bad idea, did Clinton enshrine it in US law. And why did Obama leave it on the statute book for 8 years when he was potus. Whatever you think about Trump, he didn't originate this idea, Clinton did, but why ? If Trump is doing this for the same reason as Clinton, then Clinton is as big an arsehole as Trump, but no one seems to want to talk about this aspect of it.

To really explain the Jerusalem Embassy Act, I would have to spend two years of my life researching the ins and outs of the political shenanigans relational to this topic and then write a novel.

Because I would rather devote my time to other matters but for the benefit of sinkov I have tried to summarise in a non-political slant the events which have lead to Trump activating the Act.

I am pretty sure most rational people would agree that Trump acts in a similar way to a bull in a china shop? Not too much thinking and a whole lot of head down charging?

Not one single country has their Embassy located in the Holy City of Jerusalem but the US Embassy in Tel Aviv is singularly unfit for purpose. In 1948 it was renovated over the site of an existing petrol station and is totally inadequate for purpose security wise.

Bill Clinton on the US Presidential campaign trail in 1992 thought it would be a great idea to take on board the pro-Israeli lobby in Washington DC with their vested political and financial interests in Israel.

History seems to accept Clinton genuinely thought it was the right thing to move the US Embassy to Jerusalem but ignored the salient fact that in the UN Resolution 181 of 1948 the US recognized Israel as a State, but did not include any part of the Holy City.

To further complicate the issue, in 1967 Israel conquered East Jerusalem and effectively took full military control of the Old City.

By 1995 Clinton had run two peace summits in Madrid and Oslo and discovered the alarming truth that a US Embassy in Jerusalem would not be acceptable to US allies in the Arab and Muslim world.

Clinton then backpedalled and prevaricated and every six months he signed a waiver to hold back implementation of the Jerusalem Embassy Act which had been ratified unanimously in both houses of Congress.

Barak and Arafat in particular upset Clinton at a Camp David summit and the peace accord became extremely fragile and the progress of a US Embassy in Jerusalem was put on ice yet again.

In rode George W Bush on a Republican ticket and promised to implement the Jerusalem Embassy Act in the early part of his tenure as POTUS. His chief middle east negotiator Colin Powell however, soon discovered exactly what a political hot potato moving the US Embassy to Jerusalem was going to be.

The Iraqi invasion and subsequent middle eastern turmoil has meant that successive US Presidents have simply signed the Jerusalem Embassy Act waiver every six months to prevent the sort of mayhem Trump has just unleashed.

Love him or hate him, Orange Trump certainly provokes action. I know sinkov and the right wing brigade want to blame Clinton and I suppose it was silly Billy who started the ball rolling.

I have a feeling history will reflect that Clinton really should have left this one well alone and Trump should have just kept on signing the waiver.

Thanks for that BT. I suspected the pro-Israel lobby in the US must have had something to do with the original idea. I have no interest in blaming Clinton for this, I just thought it ought to be pointed out that Trump didn't pluck this idea out of thin air. It was originated by a Democrat President. I'm not sure what's right-wing about discussing ALL the salient facts surrounding this issue, instead of the usual, blinkered lefty knee-jerk reaction and hysteria every time Trump's name is mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Thanks for that BT. I suspected the pro-Israel lobby in the US must have had something to do with the original idea. I have no interest in blaming Clinton for this, I just thought it ought to be pointed out that Trump didn't pluck this idea out of thin air. It was originated by a Democrat President. I'm not sure what's right-wing about discussing ALL the salient facts surrounding this issue, instead of the usual, blinkered lefty knee-jerk reaction and hysteria every time Trump's name is mentioned.
    I did in all honesty try not to have a dig at you and your right wing politicians, but in reality for me, it's like trying not to breathe!

I don't mind anyone having a dig at me or right-wing politicians, or any politicians for that matter, I will defend them against lies and misrepresentation of their position though. On this US embassy subject, it would appear to be the belief that this nut job of a right wing president woke up one morning last week and thought 'Now what can I do that's daft today', I know move the embassy to Jerusalem'. This infantile approach to the subject is what I object to, but TDS sets in and a rational discussion is impossible. There is an interesting discussion to be had on US Foreign Policy and the influence of the Israeli lobby on it, even to the extent of persuading a Democrat President that the Embassy should be moved to Jerusalem, but mention Trump to a lefty and the toys go out of the pram, and you've got more chance of a rational discussion in a nursery school playground.

Trump is a racist and a bigot and I would call him out even if he was a left wing politician and espoused the same vile propaganda. The man is a dangerous lunatic who really needs to be a participant in Hitler's euthanasia programme.

Is Trump a Yid ?

Quote Originally Posted by alfinyalcabo View Post
    Is Trump a Yid ?
    No.
    Trump's ancestors originated from the German village of Kallstadt in Palatinate on his father's side, and from the Outer Hebrides in Scotland on his mother's side.
    The US president inherited his religion from his British mum, who was born on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides before moving to New York in 1930 at the age of 18.
    His father’s ancestors were Lutheran – another form of Protestantism originating in Germany.
    His family attended First Presbyterian Church in Queens, New York, before joining Manhattan’s Marble Collegiate Church in the 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    No.
    Trump's ancestors originated from the German village of Kallstadt in Palatinate on his father's side, and from the Outer Hebrides in Scotland on his mother's side.
    The US president inherited his religion from his British mum, who was born on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides before moving to New York in 1930 at the age of 18.
    His father’s ancestors were Lutheran – another form of Protestantism originating in Germany.
    His family attended First Presbyterian Church in Queens, New York, before joining Manhattan’s Marble Collegiate Church in the 1970s.
    Cheers OC,so he's just a cont

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Trump is a racist and a bigot and I would call him out even if he was a left wing politician and espoused the same vile propaganda. The man is a dangerous lunatic who really needs to be a participant in Hitler's euthanasia programme.
    Can you explain why you think Trump is a racist / bigot. I have tried to find any subtance to this without success?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)