+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ballon d'Or

Ballon d'Or

Cristiano Ronaldo wins it for a fifth time, which is remarkable really. I must say, in all the time I've been watching football, this does feel like a golden era in the sense of having two players - Ronaldo and Messi - who stand head and shoulders above what we would even usually define as 'World Class'. In the past we've had the likes of Pele and Maradona who stood out from the rest in different eras, but to have two players of roughly the same age, seemingly pushing each other to ever greater heights, is something a bit special. The most remarkable thing is that opponents going onto the pitch these days "have the book" on both players, and yet they still don't seem to know how to stop them!

Apologies for starting a football-related thread!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Cristiano Ronaldo wins it for a fifth time, which is remarkable really. I must say, in all the time I've been watching football, this does feel like a golden era in the sense of having two players - Ronaldo and Messi - who stand head and shoulders above what we would even usually define as 'World Class'. In the past we've had the likes of Pele and Maradona who stood out from the rest in different eras, but to have two players of roughly the same age, seemingly pushing each other to ever greater heights, is something a bit special. The most remarkable thing is that opponents going onto the pitch these days "have the book" on both players, and yet they still don't seem to know how to stop them!

Apologies for starting a football-related thread!
    Have you seen that Ronaldo plans to be President of Portugal in the future? Oh sorry for starting a politics fred!!!!

I'd back him to win the vote!

I'd back him to win the vote!
    And me...

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Have you seen that Ronaldo plans to be President of Portugal in the future? Oh sorry for starting a politics fred!!!!
    Wouldn't expect any less

Quote Originally Posted by JoePass View Post
    And me...
    I knew you were a man of war, but are you Portuguese too?

Cristiano Ronaldo wins it for a fifth time, which is remarkable really. I must say, in all the time I've been watching football, this does feel like a golden era in the sense of having two players - Ronaldo and Messi - who stand head and shoulders above what we would even usually define as 'World Class'.
    I treated my son (a Man United fan at the time - hey, at least it's not Forest) to a live match at Old Trafford back in 2005 against Villarreal. It finished 0-0, largely because the Spaniards had an absolutely fantastic defence. Ruud van Nistelrooy and Wayne Rooney both played, but out on the left wing, actually glued to it, was a young Ronaldo.

Back then, I was a Rooney fan (I support the national team) and I didn't really notice him as I should have. But looking back, he was easily the best player on the pitch and at least I've seen him. You can see why he took over as the main striker through the middle at Man United and then Real Madrid wanted him.