+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: O/t fao newcy

O/t fao newcy

Sorry it's taken a while to answer your question mate ["what the feck do you do for a living"?] but here goes. I work for a company that supplies pollution control equipment to power plants, chemical and cement plants, that kind of thing, anything that is likely to throw $hit up into the air. In terms of size these things range from as big as your house to as big as a couple of South Banks stood end to end. I do the start up and commissioning and organize electrical installation and the efficiency testing.
    I also do regular inspections when the units have been in service for a few years in fact like my buddie that I work with we now have to do everything related to the equipment, back in the day there used to be 180 employees but we are down to just three of us now.

The best part of the job is of course they have paid for me to travel the world over the last 40+ years [I started in 1973], so you can't argue with that.

You live up in the Newcastle area correct? Some of the best times I have had on the job were up that way, in the 70's we installed equipment at Lynemouth and Blyth power stations and at North Shields and South Shields incinerators and then went back up over the years for inspection/service duties on those sites. Stayed at the infamous Rex Hotel in Whitby Bay, oh the stories that could [and have been] told. Great days.

Just to give you some idea of the sizes involved this photo shows the Pollution Control Equipment and the associated duct work. I haven,t been to this site for a couple of years but it usually takes me 2-3 weeks to complete the inspection. There are 4 other units hidden round the back as well. It's a big baby!

Name:  sammis_coal_power_plant.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  88.8 KB

Nice one Woody and thanks.

It was the travelling around the world bit that got me intrigued, you are one lucky bloke in that respect and fair play to that.

Yeah, I moved to the North East in 2002 and the area you talk about, Whitley Bay is nothing more than a ghost town these days compared to what (the locals tell me) it used to be.

I would move back home in a flash if I could

No probs mate. I have been back up there recently, maybe three years ago and your right generally a ghost town all over! But there again when you look at the hundreds of thousands of jobs that have disappeared over the years it aint surprising.

Great to see they are working on the Spanish City. Maybe Whitley Bay won't be so much of a ghost town when that is done. I have a lot of rellies in that area and loved the Spanish City when I was younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Woking88 View Post
    Great to see they are working on the Spanish City. Maybe Whitley Bay won't be so much of a ghost town when that is done. I have a lot of rellies in that area and loved the Spanish City when I was younger.
    Hiya Wokes, nice to see you posting again. Spanish City, remember it well, there was a great chippy just round the corner, used to have my evening meal there many time and make enough profit off my expenses to fuel a good pi$$ up!

"Those were the days my friend".

Quote Originally Posted by Woking88 View Post
    Wokes, they have talked about the Spanish City reconstruction for years now.

The hoarding around Spanish City has been there for a very long time, it's still there now

Look at the hoarding and you will see Spanish City will soon become a cafe/expensive shop/if you can afford it nightlife drink property.

Ask the North East folk and I'll bet they say f()ck it.

Well the chippies still there anyway. But I suspect you are right, sady, about the Spanish City Newcy, the kind of people who made it popular diappeared when the jobs manufacturing jobs went.

Name:  5831ac23-1ae4-425a-94c9-65ab016deebb_image_jpeg.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  96.0 KB

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)