+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: That ones down to Wilder.

That ones down to Wilder.

Sometimes one has to accept a point isn't the worst outcome and one takes it.
    Tonight IMO Wilder made a huge mistake by taking off Bash and putting on Carruthers whos sole contribution was to lose the ball.
    Leave things as they were and we get a very good point with 10 men. As it stands we lost and I feel for the players.
    I expect pelters and disagreement but that's how I saw it.
    Great atmosphere in the BLUT led largely by me!

He cant help it , he prob thought we need 3 points at home as we hadn't won for 3 matches , and to keep in the top 2 perhaps 1 point wasn't enough , I think it down to the play offs now , and the only reason is because of our BAD LUCK , we will get a play off place and I DO BELIEVE WITH THIS TEAM WE WILL WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS , something which we never do !!

Disagree with everything you just posted. You need to think about the bigger picture.
    Wilder didnt tonight and as a consequence we are now under a lot more pressure than was necessary..

Proud of the lads tonight, just one of those games where nothing went for us. Fine margins, on another day we’d have won by 2 or more clear goals.

That said I was surprised he took Bash off unless he was injured especially after Duffy was subbed, but if Carruthers had generated a goal we’d be hailing Wilder as a genius. TBH, their winner was a fluke like the overall result was, but although I accept the fact that he could have played safe and scrambled a point, I’d prefer right now to watch a team that goes for it every game even and we’d at least we’d got the chance of 3 points. The alternative is what’s served up at the Sty. UTB

Was surprised when he brought Carruthers on.......not sure why cos Basham was doing ok. Don't blame Wilder for Fleck's tackle tho - that changed the game more than anything.
    Could hear the singing on BLUT - good effort..........deserved at least a point.

Id rather have had a point with 10 men against the side immediately above us and build on that. But then I want us to get results first and foremost.
    Would anyone be happy if we dud what we did tonight against the pigs and lost rather than got a point? Of course not. Some people need to really wake up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by seanbeanstattoo; 08-12-2017 at 10:39 PM.

the bigger picture of 1 point while Cardiff and Wolves are getting 3 , I know what you are saying but this team will piss getting in the play offs , so he might as well go for it ( top 2 ) , before Fleck got sent off I really thought this is it ,were back , its took us 3 matches but we are playing like we did before we lost Coutts , all the players knew there part and we were all over them . The next 3 with out Fleck will be a test Preston , Villa and Sunderland.

Great post longy. Bang right. Sometimes less is more. Thats a wise man. Otherwise its idiots.

Bristol fans (grudgingly) full of praise for us and rightly so. The best team they’ve played according to some. Flecks tackle cost us the game but looking at it in slow-mo he got the ball first and it was the follow through that caught the player.

FINE MARGINS. Can’t fault the lads tonight and even though I might not have done what Wilder did Sub wise, I totally respect the fact that he had the guts to still go for it without his best player. I remember Warnock doing something similar when down to 10 men.

Quote Originally Posted by Longshortandtall View Post
    Bizarre substitutions cost us a point tonight that we deserved for the effort if not the defensive mistakes. We had them on the rack first 15 mins of second half and sending off changed game. Do not understand why CW took Duffy off he was our only ball playing midfielder left on the pitch. As a result we handed over the midfield to Brizzle and sat back waiting for the inevitable. Every one in the ground thought Sharp was coming off for Brooks which would have kept out shape even with 10 men. Sorry but Brooks is not a midfield player. Donaldson for Sharp was just strange.

Basham was getting ripped apart by their No.45 who came on but it would have been better to try and close the game out leave him on and bring on another defender to support the right hand side.

Our midfield three tonight played very well against a pacy side, hit the woodwork four times luck not with us tonight. Their second goal was just sloppy. Stearman stood doing a McEveley impression with his hand in the air playing the man onside.

Agree with the OP we need to learn to close games down more than ever now with Fleck out for three games. A point would have been a good result in the circumstances. Gung ho has to be put on the back burner for a while. Avoiding defeat and some scrappy draws for the next two games would be a start.
    Yeah I agree with that although I didn’t really think any of their players ripped anybody apart mate. I thought they were very average.

I fully understand where you and Sean are coming from but safety just isn’t Wilder’s way and for this season at least I think we need to go with it. As I said their goal was a fluke and if we’d knicked one we be hailing Wilder as genius when in fact he just took a gamble and it didn’t come off. But I think he’s earned the right to be try what he wants to even if we wouldn’t have done the same. UTB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast