+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Maybe money does help

Maybe money does help

Just checked, Brizzle have paid £23 million in the last 2 seasons, we have paid £2.9 million. Definitely not £20 million difference between the 2 teams, but we are going to need one or two, or three marquee signings in the JTF.
    This season is a learning curve for Tufty and the players he has and never expected anything great this season.
    Don't worry we'll be in the Prem before the Pigs.

A centre back, another midfielder and a striker. If we get all 3 we'll be in good nick. However I think this is a play off team already but a lot depends on what happens now both Fleck and Coutts are missing

It depends
    Sometimes spending money is a gamble

Spending money on the right type of players isn't a gamble in spite of what so many of our fans have been brainwashed to believe

Tom Cairney in a team as committed as ours and we are promoted........ It's as simple as that

Mind you if we bought him he'd probably break his leg anyway

Quote Originally Posted by JJBlade View Post
    It depends
    Sometimes spending money is a gamble

Spending money on the right type of players isn't a gamble in spite of what so many of our fans have been brainwashed to believe

Tom Cairney in a team as committed as ours and we are promoted........ It's as simple as that

Mind you if we bought him he'd probably break his leg anyway
    Cairney's a very good player mate but so is Paul Pogba we won't be signing either would be my guess.Fulham turned darn abart £20million for him dint they? UTCB
    Last edited by rodcurrie; 09-12-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    Cairney's a very good player mate but so is Paul Pogba we won't be signing either would be my guess.Fulham turned darn abart £20million for him dint they? UTCB

Not sure who offered £20 million, it could only have come from a Premier League club, but I'm sure Fulham would have sold if it was a serious offer.
    Cairney has been injured so maybe that's why interest faded

But like I said, some players are a gamble, some are not. Cairney definitely isn't, he's tremendous player with a tremendous attitude

Think Cairney is being let down by the inconsistencies of his Fulham team mates.

Apart from the usual "everything that anybody hits against us goes in" they've been very hit and miss. And if they don't challenge this year I think he'll be off somewhere.

Thoughts on this season
    I think it has gone better than we all imagined
    Lets hope it keeps going the football is the best we have seen for many a year and I've seen some since 1958.
    So thoughts for the future
    Are we as fans happy with say a 8,9,10th position or from what we have seen should be aiming higher to try the top two or play offs
    If we think we have a chance of the play offs do you think we should push the budget and have a go for these play off spots
    In doing that do you think a Ryan Leonard or Cole signing would be enough or something we haven't done is that explore Europe more for quality players to fit into CW style and vision of play
    At one time Laurent D'Jaffo I believe was our Europe scout but we haven't seen much of incomings from that source.
    Its all about money and getting the right players but I for one would be disappointed if we finished just outside the play offs when we have shown earlier this season what we are capable of and with the signing of two quality players I think a play off place is achievable
    UTB

Next 3 games are important because I feel we'll struggle to get anything without both Coutts and Fleck

Shame how cruel our luck has been recently and is threatening our chances of a top 6 finish

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    Just checked, Brizzle have paid £23 million in the last 2 seasons, we have paid £2.9 million. Definitely not £20 million difference between the 2 teams, but we are going to need one or two, or three marquee signings in the JTF.
    This season is a learning curve for Tufty and the players he has and never expected anything great this season.
    Don't worry we'll be in the Prem before the Pigs.
    We don't do 'marquee' signings and i'm glad. Look over at South Barnsley and see where it gets you. I'm happy the way things are going. Yes we need to strengthen our now paper thin squad in Jan, but lets keep it sensible.