+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: The January transfer window

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Still can't get my head round this deal.

He could sign for them for nothing now. Instead they pay £200k.

Seems an odd one, but i guess McLean now gets his 12K a week as of now, as opposed to in the summer. So if he does come back on loan here, as some are saying then not only will he be Mr undroppable, but he will also be the highest earning player in our squad by an absolute mile.

I doubt if anyone on here really knows how these deals get thrashed out - I certainly don't. But a few possible scenarios that spring to mind that may explain this unusual sounding outcome.

Could it be that McLean/AFC have a clause in the contract that stops him signing a pre-contract whilst under AFC employment unless a fee is paid to recoup our investment (dunno if thats legal)? Or, perhaps Norwich are willing to pony up what to them is a very trivial sum to secure him now and avoid the risk of other clubs competing on salary for his signature i.e. Sevco?

Lets assume its a 3 year bonanza for McLean. The £200K fee only equates to circa £1.2K extra a week over the contract. Buttons to championship teams.

Anyways. Great bit of wheeling and dealing by AFC if its proves true. I don't mind McLean - I see his strengths and weaknesses. I had hoped for a better return from him but over the course of his time here, I think he has been an asset. Like Jack, he won't be easy to replace but at least we will have time and a bit of cash to prepare.
    Last edited by bpdon; 22-01-2018 at 10:48 AM.

This could be a case of credit where credit is due, could it be that he wanted to do right by Aberdeen and St Mirren? Hopefully this is the case and it will send a message to other players in the squad and we will stop losing good young talent for buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by DJR1979 View Post
    This could be a case of credit where credit is due, could it be that he wanted to do right by Aberdeen and St Mirren? Hopefully this is the case and it will send a message to other players in the squad and we will stop losing good young talent for buttons.
    I think you're right. He's looking out for the clubs that developed him, and not the one that f*cked him off (fan of them or not). He was on our books as a young kid, until age 14/15. Then he went to the huns. They let him go at 17, and that's when he went to St Mirren. Two teams have helped to give him a career and the opportunity to make stupid money, one team cast him aside.

I am sure McLean knows all about the mess that Sevco are in with regards to finances etc. His agent will have plenty contacts who could let an insight into what they can and cannot do. Norwich City is certainly not a glamour club but if they are offering to pay him the reported £12,000 a week then fair play to him to grab the opportunity. Getting loaned back to us the rest of the season will only be seen as good business if he performs to a high standard between now and then. First stop Ibrox on Wednesday night....football has a strange way of producing results and goals from players who are heavily linked or hated etc by the opposing team. If I was a betting man I certainly would now be tempted to put cash on McLean scoring at Ibrox...even the winner.

BBC gossip has it that O'Connor will leave in the summer when his contract ends.

The source is the Sun so might be balls

BBC gossip has it that O'Connor will leave in the summer when his contract ends.

No big deal.
    Should only be seen as a handy & versatile sub if we’re to improve the first x1.
    See ya

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    No big deal.
    Should only be seen as a handy & versatile sub if we’re to improve the first x1.
    See ya
    I'm not sure what it is about him but he just looks awkward or something when he's about to pass the ball. Just makes me feel a bit nervous when he's about to receive the ball and an attacker is baring down on him.

He walks funny, like he's **** himself. Scott Brown used to walk like he didn't have any heels.

If O'Connor gets a new contract then "I'll never be back at Pittodrie/Kingsford again®️"

Hope he leaves. In the bigger matches he goes missing and caught out of position often. A player who has hasn’t improved at all since his arrival.

Page 30 of 53 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast