+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 obvious decisions for any coach.

outstanding point Spaldy.

Quote Originally Posted by OldWhiteTaff View Post
    Yes to Roofe, but whilst I wouldn't disagree Wiedwald hardly inspires confidence, for some reason when he plays the defence seems to play much better, and we seem to win more than we lose when he's playing. So I'm not sure swapping him for Lonergan, especially when we're back on a better run, is necessarily the way to go.
    They are scared sh1tless so try to stop anything getting close to him!

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    They are scared sh1tless so try to stop anything getting close to him!
    Well, as far as defensive strategies go it seems to be working quite well...........

Erm am i missing something here? A goalkeeper who has been the direct cause of a number of goals against Leeds United in the course of his very short career for us (16 games including 2 in the cup, in the latter of which he threw the ball at the opposition's striker whilst we were 1-0 up so they could equalise) and who allowed a ball to bounce over his head from less than 6 yards out yesterday; a goalkeeper whose appearances in games that we have won have been anything other than confidence-inspiring; who got dropped for a time for a journeyman, reserve, by a desperate manager; a keeper who spreads panic in our fans and hope in opposition players and fans (which was clear to see yesterday yet again after his howler).

What more do you need to know he's not good enough? He's 27 years old, and has come to Leeds to be our number 1, but has lost us a number of games - without that we would be easily in the top 6 - and who's to say that we wouldn't have built on our start to the season where he didn't touch the ball due to our fantastic teamwork (nothing to do with his performances - he made mistakes in those games too) if we'd had a keeper making saves instead of giving away chances/goals?

I'm sorry, i don't think that being good at distribution is the key factor in goalkeeping. It would come about 7th on my list of priorities - number 1 would be stopping the other team scoring goals as the last line of defence, and i struggle to remember him doing that during his time with us - seriously, apart from the desperate lunge yesterday after he conceded the ridiculous goal, during which (if you watch it closely) he turns his back on the striker and the ball bounces luckily off his back), how many actual serious 'saves' has he made this season? That was a desperate save yesterday, and it could have gone either way, as his technique was not right. Yet again. He drops weak shots in front of him, spills crosses, misjudges angles (yesterday he thought a stray ball was going in to his net when he was actually several yards wide of the goal when making his 'dive'), and every time the ball goes anywhere near him i fear a mistake. He's the Guiseppe Bellusci of goalkeeping.

I've had enough of this guy - we need to urgently replace both of them with someone better in January, and I would play Lonergan till then as Weidwald's confidence (and that of everyone else) is shot - we will continue to concede goals with Weidwald playing, goals which we needn't concede. You cannot rely on a goalkeeper that is haunted by these consistent mistakes - it's the only position in football where confidence can't be built whilst playing - it's too exposed. Even despite his relatively advanced age, he needs to go back to basics, train for several weeks on those basics, play in the reserves, and maybe, at some point, play in a game in February/March - or be sold in January. It's kinder for him.

10 of our players (any outfield 10 from those who play) are a top 6 team, and they're being let down by the choice of goalkeepers.
    Last edited by Jezleeds; 10-12-2017 at 09:54 AM.

The defence performs better simply because they are concentrating at maximum level due to his presence. Whilst that is a good sign, he still needs to go. Imagine him giving away a howler like that in a promotion playoff? 🤐 Surely there must be at least a couple of disenchanted PL reserve keepers that want to play more regularly? Don't think Green would consider a return with the same management either, so not even contemplating him...

Quote Originally Posted by Ozwhites View Post
    The defence performs better simply because they are concentrating at maximum level due to his presence. Whilst that is a good sign, he still needs to go. Imagine him giving away a howler like that in a promotion playoff? �� Surely there must be at least a couple of disenchanted PL reserve keepers that want to play more regularly? Don't think Green would consider a return with the same management either, so not even contemplating him...
    I think if they do get a keeper in, and the things that were said after the game by the owner and manager don't seem to suggest they will, it will be a foreigner unfortunately - when what we need is a seasoned championship keeper - ironically Rob Green was the 3rd best keeper in the championship last year by stats in 45 games. Weidwald is currently 11th in the championship, but that is skewed in his favour as all the other keepers above and below him in the list have played 7 more games than his 14. His true position would be around 15th/16th.

There are several keepers in the premiership who have played only a handful of games this season - i don't know if they are injured, dropped or what - people like Heaton at Burnley? Myhill at WBA? Grant at Stoke? Darlow at Newcastle, although he seems to be coming back into favour there?

I know Rob Green had a few moments early last year, and have said so before, but his record over the season in a team that had its problems defensively last year was a very good one - and he's a totally unused sub at a premier league club. Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post
    I think if they do get a keeper in, and the things that were said after the game by the owner and manager don't seem to suggest they will, it will be a foreigner unfortunately - when what we need is a seasoned championship keeper - ironically Rob Green was the 3rd best keeper in the championship last year by stats in 45 games. Weidwald is currently 11th in the championship, but that is skewed in his favour as all the other keepers above and below him in the list have played 7 more games than his 14. His true position would be around 15th/16th.

There are several keepers in the premiership who have played only a handful of games this season - i don't know if they are injured, dropped or what - people like Heaton at Burnley? Myhill at WBA? Grant at Stoke? Darlow at Newcastle, although he seems to be coming back into favour there?

I know Rob Green had a few moments early last year, and have said so before, but his record over the season in a team that had its problems defensively last year was a very good one - and he's a totally unused sub at a premier league club. Hmm.
    1000% spot on.

"in a team that had its problems defensively" not sure about that comment Jez, last seasonīs Ayling Jannson Bartley Beradi, was much more settled than this seasons back 4, just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by BenidormBlanco View Post
    "in a team that had its problems defensively" not sure about that comment Jez, last seasonīs Ayling Jannson Bartley Beradi, was much more settled than this seasons back 4, just saying.
    Well i guess if you don't mind 3 of them missing 15 matches through suspension, then you're right in what you're just saying - we didn't have any problems at all. 14 of those matches missed after Christmas, when we went from the top 6 to missing out.

Have you forgotten Cooper's magic moments when he cost us games last season eg Brighton?

No problem at all defensively last season Benidorm, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post
    Well i guess if you don't mind 3 of them missing 15 matches through suspension, then you're right in what you're just saying - we didn't have any problems at all. 14 of those matches missed after Christmas, when we went from the top 6 to missing out.

Have you forgotten Cooper's magic moments when he cost us games last season eg Brighton?

No problem at all defensively last season Benidorm, mate.
    And before we blame Green for any of those issues, think about the many, many saves he made to keep us in games during that post Christmas period, some of which saved us a point or more to keep us in the mix.

I dunno - if you think Weidwald is worth keeping, that's up to you - the statistics seem to suggest otherwise.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)