+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cheltenham result?

Cheltenham result?

Puts us on the same points as the relegation zone to non league. It sounded dire on RS and no doubt Somerset will be along to give us his thoughts on watching the match. But never mind, DA has just been awarded a 12 month rolling contract and we have a million pounds a year academy to fall back on...

But I wonder where are all our multi talented PL aspiring academy superstars with all those years of coaching? Gone to seed, every one, exactly the same place as the Board!

Well Mike we really are in the shot now. Sounded like we only turned up for the game when we went behind. Personally I find it hard to work out exactly how the game is tactically going and where our weaknesses are when listening to RS. They both always seem to have thei favourites and others that they do not like.

In the first half it seemed that Cheltenham could attack us when and how they pleased. Either we have nothing in the engine room to stop them or this is the managers chosen tactics. For me the only way that can go is more losses. I think that tactically our management is clueless and has been for most of the season.

Has DA really just been given a new 12 month contract? Personally I think it is time for him to go, and the results only go to back that up.

Quote Originally Posted by ruocul View Post
    Well Mike we really are in the shot now. Sounded like we only turned up for the game when we went behind. Personally I find it hard to work out exactly how the game is tactically going and where our weaknesses are when listening to RS. They both always seem to have thei favourites and others that they do not like.

In the first half it seemed that Cheltenham could attack us when and how they pleased. Either we have nothing in the engine room to stop them or this is the managers chosen tactics. For me the only way that can go is more losses. I think that tactically our management is clueless and has been for most of the season.

Has DA really just been given a new 12 month contract? Personally I think it is time for him to go, and the results only go to back that up.

Hi Luckour,

You asked about DA Contract....

http://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/spor...fered-13213633

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    It sounded dire on RS and no doubt Somerset will be along to give us his thoughts on watching the match.

I'd be only too happy to oblige, Mike!

It comes to something when we go to a place like Cheltenham and are frantically scrapping for a pint in the last 20 mins - and of course failing to do so. For me, this is now as bad as it has ever been since the 70s. People who were young enough only to remember the DG days have said this before but IMHO without foundation. The reality is it is true now, the table confirms it!!

First half, Cheltenham were much better and most worryingly, they played all the football – with fancy flicks and turns thrown in. I turned to my mate very early on to find out if we had a player sent off that I'd missed or if DA couldn't count such was the space they kept finding! Having said that, they didn't have many what I would call “clear-cut” chances but they always looked like they could create one. The only one of note for us in the first half was a drive from Cooper (I think - we were at the other end), but the keeper made a fine sprawling save.

2nd half, not much better – and then of course they scored. It was difficult to see how their centre half of all people was left with a one-on-one with Garratt (it was good to see him back!) and slotted it in nicely. We continued to struggle – until Ainley came on!!! What a difference he made. We looked far more balanced and had a much greater threat in the last 20 mins. And it also meant we didn’t have to suffer having Daggers in midfield any longer. Whoever came up with that idea needs to take a long hard look at themselves. He’s a finisher (sometimes), not a passer!!

How Porter didn’t get himself on the scoresheet, only he will know. 2 or 3 scrambles in their 6-yard box came to nowt! Very frustrating!

Over-riding thoughts – Raynes was our MOM, he was the only one to win his aerial duels, Daggers should never play in midfield again, Ainley should start, Bowery ........well, what can I say? I liked him last season, and even without the goals he offered something different. This season? No. Our best midfielder? – someone’s not gonna like this but it was Lowery by a country mile – Walker was poor and was withdrawn early. Tommy was closing down their midfield whenever he could. If that’s what is meant by “headless chicken”, then I’ll take that. He puts in a shift. Cooper continues to flatter to deceive. I don’t doubt his work rate but something’s missing. Of the others, I’ll mention Perry in dispatches.

Starting to get worried now, things are starting to look quite grim. We surely have enough to survive but if we look so 2nd best to Cheltenham, even I’m starting to wonder. Crawley was a huge game before. It’s even bigger now!

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    .......... are frantically scrapping for a pint in the last 20 mins .......

Woops! A typo .......but on reflection after that, not far from the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    Woops! A typo .......but on reflection after that, not far from the truth!
    Thanks mate for that report. Next in line for an Editor's job sometime...

I saw that word 'pint' and scrambling for a 'pint' with 20 mins to go somehow seems to fit the script better..

I wonder if Cooper's chance of a move has gone in the January window..

I keep hearing good things about Ainley and wonder why he is not starting? Maybe he could be the next big star here?

How much was it to get in btw?

ATB,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    How much was it to get in btw?

£21 - which didn't make the defeat any easier to swallow!!

£7 for students ...................but I missed that by about 30 years!!!