+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rain check

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Pass i think you have sed wat some off us Older wuns think , av gon 61 years nar , i feel i evry reyt to speyk ar things a goowin like tuthas , it's an awful negative atmosphere darn theer nar , blame who you want lotterya , but summat int reyt , all this greed and carnt laik cos thu yungens dunt wesh wimee, man up or **** off Inc the Barmy HC who has lost it !! Some may laugh ? Giving him a better contract ? For what ? Sed befoor treat him like any previous managers we have had , he's nowt special , just born intarn ,,,, BAAAAA BAAAAA
    so your saying sack him then get who ever wots his no name give him half a season and cos we spend nowt struggle then sack him after six months then repeat.

Av nivva sed sack him oreyt , av sed he needs some help and experience, if your happy watchin that sheeite well moor fool you , thanks but no thanks it's not for me ,

The plan always hinged on discovering under the radar talent , developing and selling for a significant profit and repeat .

There's nothing wrong with that if it's done with your eyes wide open and a respect for football history , you could argue this is nothing new at Oakwell and it's a policy we've followed for 130 years .

I accept that keeping Hourihane , Mawson , Winnall and Bree here was almost impossible , yes we could have kept them here until last season ended and attempted to keep up the challenge of a top 6 finish , I'm not convinced we would have seen them perform as well as they had previously and we would have missed out on good fees as a consequence if we'd have followed that path , as disappointing as that was I have accepted the club's stance although the owners comment " under no pressure to sell " can be filed alongside " box office signings " and " we didn't know how good John Stones was " , whatever .

Having received a colossal amount of money by our standards at least we still couldn't keep Scowen or Watkins here , heads turned maybe by the amount of money they could receive elsewhere as free agents and a sense that the club were lacking in ambition and let's get out of Dodge while we can .

Marc Roberts seemed a different kettle of fish to me , I always formed the impression he was led out of the club , even pushed you might say , regrettably by the clubs own admission which suggests there was room to maneuver on an improved deal , we could pay him a competitive salary but chose not to and cashed in instead is how I read it .

So we come to the summer recruitment and this is my main criticism of the club and fuels much of my anger towards them .

It's one thing to have a plan , policy call it what you will on recruitment , it's quite another to ignore the facts of football history and reality .

People within the club needed to take stock and put their ego's to one side , you never invented anything to start with in my opinion , you discovered some good players for relatively little outlay , about half a dozen and assembled a league lower and over a longer period of time , what on earth made you think you could rebuild a whole squad in one summer a league higher ?

With cash in the bank it then needed putting to good use , I'm not suggesting caution to the wind , utilising the profit to protect our momentum and championship status with a continuation of the plan aligned with ready to go experienced talent , a six and two three's .

All I'm suggesting is keeping our heads above the drop zone and not some pie in the sky attempt at the top six , as if .

I get sustainability , I get financial prudence but without the necessary ingredients on the park sustainability and financial prudence goes to shyte anyway , young players brought here don't develop , confidence takes a hit and the investment we made initially quickly disappears .

You have to pay a going rate at this level with at least 3 or 4 stock players , you fit the up and coming cheap and cheerfuls around that , there is no getting away from it .

To me if you have saleable young talent then that is the source of your funding for the higher and proven talent that help the process along , it needed to go hand in hand or it brings the whole philosophy crashing down and you end up with a squad full of young players who you collectively paid £6m for and only actually worth a quarter of that if you are lucky .

Throw in the loss of £5m due to relegation and you've taken a real hit .

Where's your sustainability now ? , the surplus you created by selling the top talent just disappeared down the plug hole just as quickly as you created it .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 12-12-2017 at 01:22 AM.

Good post, At this moment in Time I’m inclined to say that we have made a massive error in not having bought a couple of older heads in at the beginning of the season. Hammill and Davies are seen as the senior pro’s and that’s not right.
    I’ve said before a signing such as Garett Barry to “orchestrate” in midfield is what we need, coupled with an experienced defended alongside Lindsay. There’s too much youth. Totally agree.
    But I wouldn’t ditch too many of the young ones we have, I think there’s potential in almost all of them. ( Ugbo excepted).

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Av nivva sed sack him oreyt , av sed he needs some help and experience, if your happy watchin that sheeite well moor fool you , thanks but no thanks it's not for me ,
    its not a case of watching ****e though at times it is
    its a case of supporting my team thru good times a bad.
    if all you are after is fancy good looking entertaining football then your following the wrong team and for that nip over hills to man city.

I think I'd just like to see some effective football.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234