+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having the bottle and putting things right.

Having the bottle and putting things right.

Why do we struggle to put in winning performances at home games, is it in the players heads or are tactics wrong and now that we're 4th can we push on and show we have bottle for the first time in years!

Do we need anymore players for the final push or do we go with what we've got?

We will reach the halfway point this month and we're in a really good position, we need to beat Villa and show we mean business and pull away a little (a lot would be better), yet in the back of my head I keep thinking will we go into free fall like we do at this time every year.

Can Rowett do what others have failed to do, keep the points coming and if we do have a blip put things right quickly and keep us focused on reaching the finishing line.

The difference between hone and away games is the tactics of the opposition. They come to PP and park the bus(es). We find it hard to break them down because we don't have players who can unlock a defence with that killer pass. It also doesn't help that we mainly try to go through the middle. An area of the pitch that is overcrowded.

When we travel away, the home team tries to make the play and we sit back, make it difficult for them and hit them on the break. I don't criticise visiting teams for doing to us what we do to them at theirs.

I would like to see us get a midfield player in who can unpick a defence and push us on to promotion. Will we get one? I will wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    Why do we struggle to put in winning performances at home games, is it in the players heads or are tactics wrong and now that we're 4th can we push on and show we have bottle for the first time in years!

Do we need anymore players for the final push or do we go with what we've got?

We will reach the halfway point this month and we're in a really good position, we need to beat Villa and show we mean business and pull away a little (a lot would be better), yet in the back of my head I keep thinking will we go into free fall like we do at this time every year.

Can Rowett do what others have failed to do, keep the points coming and if we do have a blip put things right quickly and keep us focused on reaching the finishing line.
    Good questions, good post.
    Any 0-3 away win in this division is a fine result and Oakwell is seldom an easy place to visit but will the ‘walls come tumbling down’ again next week?
    Can only think that we ‘struggle’ at home because we still use our away ‘strategy’ at Pride Park. Take the recent QPR match...it was a classic ‘away’ performance...by us!
    We won by hitting them on the break, which is fine away from home, but with 25,000 home fans becoming more and more impatient this anxiety seems to spread to the players and things become increasingly tense.
    Just a thought and I’m not going to criticise GR...I wanted him over a year ago and we’re in a better position then we might ever have thought possible a month or so ago...but a little more flexibility and positivity at home would be welcome imo.
    Whatever happens against Villa there will still be everything to play for but I do think we’ll learn a lot next week about this team’s ‘bottle’...biggest match for a long time and time to stand up and be counted. Hope Lawrence is fit...seemed to be some mixed messages last night.

You have a number of teams like Cardiff, Ipswich, Brum amongst others, whose sole game plan is bore the opponents into submission after nicking a goal. It's very hard to break these teams down by playing attractive football. The championship is a war of attrition and thus far you gotta give Rowett credit for being able to grind out results.
    Sure you'll lose some but since that Ipswich loss you've bounced back with 6 points.
    He's doing the right stuff. Worry about the good football when you reach the Prem.

Whilst agreeing that we are in a far better place than I had expected at syart of season, I dont think we should get too carried away with 6 points against the collective might of Burton and Barnsley.

Look at results against other top 6 sides:

Wolves H L
    Cardiff A D
    Bristol City A L
    Sheff Utd A L
    Villa tba

4 points from next 2 games would gove 42 at the halfway mark. A good position but our historically strong December is typically followed by a weak January.

Lets take stock 31-01 and hope any sivnings or departures dont upset the balance we now have

In recent seasons we have got into good league position and then come to a game like the Villa at home and have lost. We did it recently with the loss of our game in-hand. If, Rowett can "cure" that weakness we will be promoted.

My personal want and expectations of a nice mid table finish have all been achieved, any higher its a nice bonus feature for me personally. 4th after 21 games with a clusterf*** of a squad showswe have a top notch manager here, we should be thanking him for getting us on the road to recovery that area.

Hes turned matej vydra into a free scoring class act,, i always knew we had a 20 goal striker him,, rowett finally played him in his correct position.

Quote Originally Posted by roger_ramjet View Post
    Whilst agreeing that we are in a far better place than I had expected at syart of season, I dont think we should get too carried away with 6 points against the collective might of Burton and Barnsley.

Look at results against other top 6 sides:

Wolves H L
    Cardiff A D
    Bristol City A L
    Sheff Utd A L
    Villa tba

4 points from next 2 games would gove 42 at the halfway mark. A good position but our historically strong December is typically followed by a weak January.

Lets take stock 31-01 and hope any sivnings or departures dont upset the balance we now have
    Tbf Rog, those were all early season ‘settling in’ matches. Can’t remember often being as despondent about football as I was returning from Bramall Lane but we’re now above them.
    Saturday is massive in terms of proving that we’re not going to be overawed by either the situation or playing, arguably, one of only two clubs in the division who are ‘bigger’ than us.
    Agree about our Januarys though...four years since we had a decent one.

So long as he does not tinker too much it should be OK

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post
    My personal want and expectations of a nice mid table finish have all been achieved, any higher its a nice bonus feature for me personally. 4th after 21 games with a clusterf*** of a squad showswe have a top notch manager here, we should be thanking him for getting us on the road to recovery that area.

Hes turned matej vydra into a free scoring class act,, i always knew we had a 20 goal striker him,, rowett finally played him in his correct position.
    You always knew Vydra was a 20 goal striker? Eh you have clearly forgotten your previous posts on him FFS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)