+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoe much for Pope and would Burnley sell?

Hoe much for Pope and would Burnley sell?

Lets play a hypothesis on Sunday.

You are a PL or highly placed Championship team Manager with some money to spend.

You need a goalie or a back-up urgently.

Looking around Pope ticks lots of boxes; young; very good goalie with some proven PL experience.

What money would tempt Burnley to seriously consider selling him in the January window?

For Pope he has a sniff or a promise of regular games.

For Burnley you need to strengthen midfield and the money would come in handy.

Heaton isn't that far off and we have cover.

How much and could he go?

Would probably be issued a hands off warning, We have a future England No1 in Nick. With his age I would sell Heaton first if a goalkeeper had to go, but then we would need another to play back up as Legzgone and Lindepastit should be nowhere near our first team.

Crikey blueheeler1, I'm going to have to take serious issue with you on this one!

First off we do not need the money and have absolutely no need to sell him.

It is by no means certain Tom Heaton will walk straight back into the team if and when he returns to full match fitness.

We do not need to strengthen central midfield we have Westwood and Marney as more than adequate replacements for Cork, Defour and Hendrick.

Pope is keeping more clean sheets than a hotel laundry and could well be knocking on Southgate's door pretty soon. Pickford, Hart, Forster and Butler are hardly setting the world on fire at present.

Pope has recently signed a new improved, extended contract and is going absolutely nowhere, except perhaps Russia in the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Crikey blueheeler1, I'm going to have to take serious issue with you on this one!

First off we do not need the money and have absolutely no need to sell him.

It is by no means certain Tom Heaton will walk straight back into the team if and when he returns to full match fitness.

We do not need to strengthen central midfield we have Westwood and Marney as more than adequate replacements for Cork, Defour and Hendrick.

Pope is keeping more clean sheets than a hotel laundry and could well be knocking on Southgate's door pretty soon. Pickford, Hart, Forster and Butler are hardly setting the world on fire at present.

Pope has recently signed a new improved, extended contract and is going absolutely nowhere, except perhaps Russia in the summer!
    Agree about Pope and I'm with you that Heaton may not get back in the team at this rate .

Midfield is a different proposition for me - Westwood I like he does a steady job no frills - I don't think Marney will play at this level for us again --- plus without dis respecting him we have moved on and up and we need players who are creative as well as competitive.

Pope has been superb for us, but for some reason he does not fill me with confidence . However,as a garden implement ,i reserve my right to judgement at this time.

Forkin’ Hell Hoe would’ ve thought it. I wouldn’t even sell Pope to a Bishop.

Quote Originally Posted by Turfmoorspirit View Post
    Pope has been superb for us, but for some reason he does not fill me with confidence . However,as a garden implement ,i reserve my right to judgement at this time.
    Perhaps if he smiled a bit more and looked confident that would help.

I agree in part; he does look a bit tense and has yet to mature where he is demonstrating that he is enjoying the game.

Huge responsibility on his youngish head but he does the job exceedingly well and we are not missing Heaton which no-one could possibly have thought at the start of his long-term injury.

Its worth remembering that apart from Heaton and against Watford we were missing three first team regulars with two of those from the back four.

No wonder its taking Pope a bit longer to exude confidence!

Quote Originally Posted by blueheeler1 View Post

Its worth remembering that apart from Heaton and against Watford we were missing three first team regulars with two of those from the back four.

No wonder its taking Pope a bit longer to exude confidence!
    It's also the case that last season we had a very reliable back five, four of the five were missing against Watford, but you'd never have known.

We have two amazing keepers,would not want either too go.I think Heaton is the better of the two.We'll risk losing him if he comes back as number two.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    Agree about Pope and I'm with you that Heaton may not get back in the team at this rate .

Midfield is a different proposition for me - Westwood I like he does a steady job no frills - I don't think Marney will play at this level for us again --- plus without dis respecting him we have moved on and up and we need players who are creative as well as competitive.
    'Westwood I like--".

Baffled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)