+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The best game you watched at Millmoor.

I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned Millers 2 Brentford 1 and that Alan Lee goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    I’m surprised that nobody has mentioned Millers 2 Brentford 1 and that Alan Lee goal.
    That has to be up there with the best in terms of outcome and consequence, but one of the most memorable for me

is the Man U FA Cup replay.

Night matches at Millmoor with a capacity crowd were always exciting.

Two come to mind to me and both ended in 4-2 defeats. The Man City FA Cup game already mentioned on this thread and the loss to Barnsley when Ian Banks got a hat trick against us.

Also a win memorable for an embarrassing reason. 4-1 against Malcolm Allison's Crystal Palace where I think they had at least 2 sent off. I say I think because it was a night match in brass monkey weather and being a 'hard' ****ager I'd gone without a coat. Shivering uncontrollably I left at 0-0 at or just after half time and missed all the action.

I was only 10 for the Plymouth game in 81. I remember it well though. It was my first season watching the Millers. My Dad took me to nearly every game, home and away that season. I too remember Carlisle away, Rod Fern scored. We were sat on the coach waiting to leave when a random Miller jumped on the coach and gave us a result, cant remember which game but someone drawing or winning meant we were up!!! What a season to be introduced to all things Millers, I was hooked.

My standout has to be the Brentford game though, Ronnie taking us up, hero player and now hero manager, he truly gained legendary status that day.

I was by now obviously old enough to celebrate with an ale. About 11 pm that night I was in the chippy at Bramley. Another Miller was in there, much older than me but we just kinda looked at each other and grinned. We embraced, hugging and kissing lol. Never seen him since but at that moment in the chippy we were brothers, we loved each other. That's what being a Miller can be.

Happy days!!!

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Wasn't this around 80/81 season Caspe
    r. It's the one I always think of. Fantastic year until June 19th
    Yes a fantastic year cayton.
    I mentioned the Plymouth game because I was on the TV footage at that game ( briefly I might add).
    Defensively solid that season and King Ronnie as top scorer and Old Man Fern chipping in with quite a few.
    Not sure the significance of June 19th, is it personal ?

Is it the date Porterfield jumped ship to manage Sheffield United?

Quote Originally Posted by wrinkly View Post
    Is it the date Porterfield jumped ship to
    manage Sheffield United?
    Not sure wrinkly.
    I've always thought Porterfield left around first week in June and Crazy Horse took over start of July.
    Either way that was probably the best season I can remember, expensive as well with the players that were brought in that season. ( expensive for us at the time).
    Read somewhere that Porterfield offered his resignation a couple of times that season.

Millers 2-4 Tykes 1981 .

A legendary game and spoken about regularly to this day .

Two great football teams , the rivalry was keen and sometimes bitter due to both teams going neck to neck at the time , almost 19k inside Millmoor , saturday afternoon KO at 3pm .

The game was tighter than the scoreline suggests , a Ian Banks wonder strike was the only real difference late on with the match on a knife edge .

Glorious times , football today doesn't come close to those days .

Quote Originally Posted by Casper64Frank View Post
    Yes a fantastic year cayton.
    I mentioned the Plymouth game because I was on the TV footage at that game ( briefly I might add).
    Defensively solid that season and King Ronnie as top scorer and Old Man Fern chipping in with quite a few.
    Not sure the significance of June 19th, is it personal ?
    Yeah m8 it was personal.
    I had been invited for trials with my beloved millers and on the 19th about 30 of us were playing footy on spurley field when oooops I was 10 and tried tackling a bloke at 22
    Shattered my leg and within 24 hours was having a bone graft from my hip into my shin just so I could walk again.
    That wasn't the worst bit. Whilst I was under sedation the Rotherham team visited the hospital and as the 20th was my 11th birthday, I have a picture with myself still zonked out from the op. A big cake on the meal trolly, my mum at one side and brecks the other 😕

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Millers 2-4 Tykes 1981 .

A legendary game and spoken about regularly to this day .

Two great football teams , the rivalry was keen and sometimes bitter due to both teams going neck to neck at the time , almost 19k inside Millmoor , saturday afternoon KO at 3pm .

The game was tighter than the scoreline suggests , a Ian Banks wonder strike was the only real difference late on with the match on a knife edge .

Glorious times , football today doesn't come close to those days .
    Yes Animal, i was envious at the time of your midfield but wouldnt admit it for obvious reasons, was it Ronnie Glavin,Ian Banks,??? excellent players, A mixture of Millers and Tykes would have made a fair side at that time, what do you think? 6 players from each club, my 6 would have to be...Mountford, Forrest, Stancliffe, Towner, Moore, Fern. THOUGHTS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast