+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The best game you watched at Millmoor.

When I was fairly new to the Millers I saw the 4-4 vs Norwich at Millmoor in 2004. Obviously a frantic and exciting game but also the way the fans and players really felt united and got stuck in after the cheating **** Huckerby dive and the half time goings on was just memorable and really stuck with me. And in a way the late equaliser just emphasised the bittersweet nature of the club and the leagues we play in.

Quote Originally Posted by millavanilla View Post
    Great fightback..thought we were going to be buried..one of the top nights at millmoor...but ive spotted wrinkly has commented on your post and is usually good at correcting things..no sarcasm intended...but im almost sure frank stapleton scored their goal in the railway end..
    I went to the game and remembered the score but couldn't have told you any of the scorers. I do seem to remember (and I may be totally wrong here) that John Flynn had a brilliant game for us, possibly his only decent game for us. The same season Wednesday played Arsenal in the FA cup and lost in the 4th replay. 5 attempts and still couldn't beat them! We did it in one go.

There's been some humdingers down the years, the Plymouth one stands out for me, enjoyed the West Ham game when they refused to change in our dressing room, Norwich also a great atmosphere...

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Wasn't this around 80/81 season Casper. It's the one I always think of. Fantastic year until June 19th
    Yes, the Plymouth game, when we clinched the div 3 championship, was 1980-81.
    Easy for me to remember because, on April 18th 1981 we beat Carlisle away to clinch promotion, the same day that my oldest daughter was born. She arrived 6 weeks early and I had to cancel my trip to Carlisle. She's got her own 15 month old daughter now - my beautiful little granddaughter. I made it to the Plymouth game though. Happy days - on many counts.

Versus Burnley in FA Cup replay ,nightmatch and concrete wall around ground collapsed in several places and us kids sat on the asphalt around the edge of the ground.I think we lost 2-3 I vaguely remember Barry Lyons getting a couple and a broken leg ......can anybody confirm my post?Think the crowd that night was 26,500.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo88 View Post
    When I was fairly new to the Millers I saw the 4-4 vs Norwich at Millmoor in 2004. Obviously a frantic and exciting game but also the way the fans and players really felt united and got stuck in after the cheating **** Huckerby dive and the half time goings on was just memorable and really stuck with me. And in a way the late equaliser just emphasised the bittersweet nature of the club and the leagues we play in.
    I was there for that as well. It was a good game.

One of my favourites was beating West Ham 1-0, with Defoe and David James in the team. That's the one where West Ham refused to get changed at the ground and were taken back to the hotel. Also beating Southampton in the cup under Ronnie. Matt Le Tissier missed a couple of chances at the end, followed by chants of 'you fat b******'.

Quote Originally Posted by bogsdollox View Post
    Versus Burnley in FA Cup replay ,nightmatch and concrete wall around ground collapsed in several places and us kids sat on the asphalt around the edge of the ground.I think we lost 2-3 I vaguely remember Barry Lyons getting a couple and a broken leg ......can anybody confirm my post?Think the crowd that night was 26,500.
    I was at the match - evening game, 7th Jan 1964. I think that it was Colin Clish who had his leg broken... and no subs in those days!
    Official attendance 23813. We rather undeservedly lost 2-3, but if Clish hadn't got injured... Great game, and great atmosphere though
    Burnley were league champions in 1960 and then reached the quarter final of the European Cup in 1961. They still were a top division club , with a strong squad when they played us in that FA Cup replay.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 11-12-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Just checked the Millers were 2-1 up until Clish was injured in the 70th minute. Recommended Xmas present for Millers fans - "Now we are United" by Gerry Somerton... amaze your fellow fans with your knowledge of Millers history... er, by having a quick glance at this book

Being of a certain age, yes the 3-1 against a full strength Arsenal team was the best for me too.

Also remember around the same time a home replay against Man City (we had drawn 0-0 at Maine Road). Losing 0-3 at half time, came back to 2-3 only for them to break away at the end for 2-4.

Leeds in the cup about 1971 0-0 was a great night, 24,000 there.

Perigord, the breakaway goal you mentioned was scored by Peter Barnes and if I remember right his run began well in his own half at The Railway End before beating several of our players on the way. A fine goal.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast