+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What the Guardian said about Luton v Notts

What the Guardian said about Luton v Notts

Bear in mind that the report in today's Guardian was focusing on Luton's style and scoring power rather than being a straightforward match report.
    With that in mind, I think we can say that Notts come out of it pretty well:

This match was not quite so net‑busting, a physical and hard-fought affair which ended 1-1, but even the goal Luton scored was notable. Johnny Mullins became the 10th different player in a row to score for Luton, their previous two games having ended 4-0 and 5-0, and the 21st different player to find the net this season.

“We were nowhere near what we usually are fluency wise, but they must’ve had something to do with that,” said Jones, after a Shola Ameobi header had won a point for Notts. Jones emphasised the last point, crediting the opposition with stopping his side rather than them being off their game.

And that appears to be a sticking point, a slight chip on Jones’s shoulder. “They got a point against us,” he said, when asked if it was encouraging to get a point against a side as good as Notts when not at their best.

“The table says we’re the best in the league. It’s not ‘encouraging’ because I know what we can do. We’ve won by seven goals etc here and other managers have somehow found reasons why their team were at their best.

“Nobody ever says: ‘Luton were a good side, they were quality.’ But I’m going to say that about Notts County: you don’t get 42 points from 21 games without being a good side. It was two good sides going up against each other, probably cancelling each other out a little bit.”

Both teams went home happy with their afternoon’s work, and it is tough to see either missing promotion this season. But while this does not necessarily win you extra points, Luton are doing it in style.
    Last edited by sidders; 11-12-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Bear in mind that the report in today's Guardian was focusing on Luton's style and scoring power rather than being a straightforward match report.
    With that in mind, I think we can say that Notts come out of it pretty well:

This match was not quite so net‑busting, a physical and hard-fought affair which ended 1-1, but even the goal Luton scored was notable. Johnny Mullins became the 10th different player in a row to score for Luton, their previous two games having ended 4-0 and 5-0, and the 21st different player to find the net this season.

“We were nowhere near what we usually are fluency wise, but they must’ve had something to do with that,” said Jones, after a Shola Ameobi header had won a point for Notts. Jones emphasised the last point, crediting the opposition with stopping his side rather than them being off their game.

And that appears to be a sticking point, a slight chip on Jones’s shoulder. “They got a point against us,” he said, when asked if it was encouraging to get a point against a side as good as Notts when not at their best.

“The table says we’re the best in the league. It’s not ‘encouraging’ because I know what we can do. We’ve won by seven goals etc here and other managers have somehow found reasons why their team were at their best.

“Nobody ever says: ‘Luton were a good side, they were quality.’ But I’m going to say that about Notts County: you don’t get 42 points from 21 games without being a good side. It was two good sides going up against each other, probably cancelling each other out a little bit.”

Both teams went home happy with their afternoon’s work, and it is tough to see either missing promotion this season. But while this does not necessarily win you extra points, Luton are doing it in style.
    I think the Luton ‘style’ thing is being overdone a bit. Absolutely filling in three teams who clearly gave up is slightly different to being able to do it week in, week out. Am not sure there was really much contrast in styles at all on Saturday, both teams were just pretty good.

I thought on the day we were the better side and could feel ourselves unlucky not to have won the game...

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I thought on the day we were the better side and could feel ourselves unlucky not to have won the game...
    I'm in a state of shock......

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    I think the Luton ‘style’ thing is being overdone a bit. Absolutely filling in three teams who clearly gave up is slightly different to being able to do it week in, week out. Am not sure there was really much contrast in styles at all on Saturday, both teams were just pretty good.
    It's interesting to note that although they scored 22 goals in those 3 matches they only scored 27 in the other 18

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    It's interesting to note that although they scored 22 goals in those 3 matches they only scored 27 in the other 18
    My thoughts too. Someone else on here perfectly summed them up as 'Flat Track Bullies' which I think is spot on. The difference between their goal difference and ours is those games. I suspect that sooner rather than later Notts are going to give a couple of teams a right tonking too and fix that GD issue...let's hope it begins with Grimsby!
    Last edited by SwalePie; 12-12-2017 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    What have you done wit Durhampie?

before the game i would have took a draw. but after the first half i could see us winning

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post

“We were nowhere near what we usually are fluency wise, but they must’ve had something to do with that,” said Jones,

It was two good sides going up against each other, probably cancelling each other out a little bit.”
    Luton's boss spoke well. I don't think we'll get close to their goal difference, but KN has turned us into real match players - the discipline and motivation was great on Saturday. The tactics too, it was far from parking the bus. The team took care of all the defensive responsibilities and built from there, making it a very even contest. It augurs well for us staying around those top 3 places for the rest of the way.