+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forte (genuine footballl topic)

Quote Originally Posted by Mapperleypie View Post
    My memory might be a little off but I'm pretty certain Bartlett was significantly quicker than Forte.
    He was significantly better as well. He came to us from West Brom, where he was their second top scorer, in the second tier. He scored 13 goals in our promotion season to the top flight and then got 7 goals at the highest level despite playing second fiddle to TJ and Rideout. I'm not buying comparisons with Forte.

Bartlett was a much better player than Jonathan Forte, hence why he reached a higher level. As with many lighting quick players (e.g. Franz Carr), Kevin Bartlett's end product didn't always fully exploit the phenomenal opportunities his pace provided, but he still created chaos for many defences and opened up chances for others, not to mention winning lots of penalties.

I think Jonathan Forte was and is overrated by Notts fans on the basis of a couple of standout performances in previous loan spells. He's a very average winger and a half decent striker, but his career record shows he hasn't scored the number of goals his reputation perhaps suggests, and he hasn't settled anywhere for long. At League Two level he's a decent player to have, and seems to play best as a supersub, but he isn't the kind of player who will take us forward in the longer term, indeed his best days are probably behind him.

I get frustrated with Forte's lack of aggression as well, especially when we're defending a lead and hoping the strikers will chase down defenders and stop them building attacks. He reminds me of Jamie Forrester, in that he will run towards the opponent as if he's going to close down and challenge him, but then stops a few yards short and does nothing, effectively chickening out but trying to con people into thinking they're doing the job. At the other end of the scale was Luke Rodgers, who despite his diminutive size would charge at an opponent, kick them, tackle them and generally drive them to distraction. Paul Dickov was the same type, great team players with a nasty streak who contributed a lot even when they weren't scoring.
    Last edited by jackal2; 11-12-2017 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by calmpie View Post
    I can see a few of you think he can go in January. Nolan seems to not really rate him although its hard to be sure.

Some think Alessandro better than Forte. Anyone know goals scored between the 2?

Any opinions as to what exactly you think is wrong with Forte?
    Be careful calmpie..
    Genuine football topics are like gold dust but much welcome.
    Forte is back up at best
    Has pace but simply at times flatters to deceive.
    I've always wanted him to push on and show his credentials but unfortunately seems to come up short.
    Gets the odd goal here and there.
    But we defiantly need another genuine goal scorer
    Allesandro is a winger.

I would be happy for Forte to stay as he is a good impact player off the bench. The problem though is he thinks he is better than that and is probably quite vocal about it. Kevin Nolan obviously thinks differently to Forte which is why I think he will be going in January but it is essential that we bring in a goal scorer and a back up striker before we let him go.
    Last edited by LaughingMagpie; 11-12-2017 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    At the other end of the scale was Luke Rodgers, who despite his diminutive size would charge at an opponent, kick them, tackle them and generally drive them to distraction. Paul Dickov was the same type, great team players with a nasty streak who contributed a lot even when they weren't scoring.
    Good call Jackal. Maybe what we need is a Rodgers in January to complement Shola, Stead, Forte et al.

P.S. I'm sure our player's name is Alessandra not Alessandro, isn't it? [Not aimed at you Jackal but the earlier posters]
    Last edited by SwalePie; 12-12-2017 at 01:36 AM.

No doubting that Forte has some ability and some traits that suits our style. However, Forte does not have the same desire, work rate and team ethic that the other Notts forwards give, including Alessandra.
    I am sure that KN and JF have had conversations about what is expected, but so far JF has fallen way short of what KN expects.
    Personally I think he will leave and Notts will bring in another forward.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    I’m sure Nolan will take your expertise onboard 🙄 another corker of a quote
    He's right though.

Kevin B was one of my favourite Notts strikers (plus he had one of the best chants ever) and offered us more than Agana who replaced him in the side.

Whilst Forte is nowhere near as good as he was, I do feel that we have under used him and not played to his strengths. So bearing that in mind he will be gone as soon as we can get a replacement, I just hope he isn't replaced with another Stead/Ameobi style clone.

The good news is that this thread had to be labelled a genuine football topic. If those words had not been there and the title has just been 'Forte' in what way could it have been considered not a genuine football topic? Confused in the country here. Over to you Anus Pile.

I think Forte is getting a bit of a raw deal this season, I would love to see him start up front with Shola but Nolan doesn’t seem to fancy him at all.

Being behind Stead in the pecking order is one thing, being behind Alessandra makes me think it’s a bit personal.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    The good news is that this thread had to be labelled a genuine football topic. If those words had not been there and the title has just been 'Forte' in what way could it have been considered not a genuine football topic? Confused in the country here. Over to you Anus Pile.
    Could have been about Motorway services

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast