+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: O/T A Snooker question

O/T A Snooker question

Any snooker fans out there that can answer this?

Possibly a nightmare scenario if it happened in the deciding frame of a championship!

Player 'A' flukes a snooker with the cue ball left between the jaws of the pocket and another ball (not the object ball) has rolled to rest in front of the cue ball. This must be the ultimate snooker and impossible to escape from. Does player 'B' have to concede the frame? I don't know the answer.

According to the game's governing body World Snooker, the rule states:

"The striker shall, to the best of his ability, endeavour to hit the ball on. The miss rule is not applied if the black ball is the only remaining ball on the table, or a situation exists where it is impossible to hit the ball on. In the latter case, it must be assumed the striker is attempting to hit the ball on provided that he plays, directly or indirectly, in the direction of the ball on with sufficient strength, in the referee's opinion, to have reached the ball on."

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

"The striker shall, to the best of his ability, endeavour to hit the ball on. The miss rule is not applied if the black ball is the only remaining ball on the table, or a situation exists where it is impossible to hit the ball on. In the latter case, it must be assumed the striker is attempting to hit the ball on provided that he plays, directly or indirectly, in the direction of the ball on with sufficient strength, in the referee's opinion, to have reached the ball on."

You don’t half talk a load of balls

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

I understand that Jackal2 as I looked up the rules. But my question made the ball on impossible to hit as the cue ball was 'trapped'. I'm going to email World Snooker and get an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    I understand that Jackal2 as I looked up the rules. But my question made the ball on impossible to hit as the cue ball was 'trapped'. I'm going to email World Snooker and get an answer.
    The situation you describe clearly makes it impossible to hit the ball 'on'. Therefore any attempt to send the cue ball towards the 'on' ball either directly as if the obstacle ball wasn't there or deflecting off the obstacle ball has to be treated as a fair shot. Obviously, the foul will be awarded for striking the obstacle ball and play shall resume from then with no retake....unless an official deems that the cue ball was not played to strike the 'on ball' in which case the foul will be awarded again and a retake allowed. That's my interpretation anyway..

Can you let us know the answer you get, i wont REST till we know.

I don't like it when you get those spiders on the table . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    Give him a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    I've made the enquiry - but nothing back as yet.

A daft scenario but it could happen. I agree with rorylee to an extent but it would mean deliberately striking the cue ball against the obstacle ball which would constitute a foul shot anyway. You are not allowed to deliberately play a foul shot.

Another but probably more easy to answer (although I don't know) is this:

A goalkeeper is within the 18 yard box when a ball is crossed towards the edge of the box. One of his defenders and an opposing forward go up to head the ball. The goalkeeper goes up with them and punches the ball away and although he is inside the box when he punches the ball, the ball is not. Has he fouled or is he only committing a foul if he had handled the ball - with his feet outside the area?
    Last edited by seriouspie; 12-12-2017 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    A goalkeeper is within the 18 yard box when a ball is crossed towards the edge of the box. One of his defenders and an opposing forward go up to head the ball. The goalkeeper goes up with them and punches the ball away and although he is inside the box when he punches the ball, the ball is not. Has he fouled or is he only committing a foul if he had picked the ball up from the ground with his feet outside the area?
    "A goalkeeper is within the 18 yard box when a ball is crossed towards the edge of the box. Unfortunately at the same time a giant of a man who we will call 'Shola' puts the fear of god up the goalkeeper as he rises majestically into the air, the keeper, quite literally ****ting his pants finds himself flapping hopelessly at mid air whilst the titanic Shola simply nods the ball into the keepers foolishly vacated goal."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast