+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I do think we need Shelvey...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I do think we need Shelvey...

... to start the next coupla games. Merino has looked out of sync and whilst Jonjo certainly has his flaws, we are not creating enough chances and we are not looking dangerous enough going forward. He's one of the only players we have who can help us with this.

Merino might just be a bit tired after injury then coming back into team.

Agreed might be good to start Shelvey for next few games.

IMO Shelvey gets too much of a bad rap on here, granted, at times he can be really frustrating but he is one of the few players we have that can change the tempo of a game and get the team going up front, Merino is a similar type but doesn't as yet have that defense splitting passing ability although I'm sure it is there. Hope they both start next game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    IMO Shelvey gets too much of a bad rap on here, granted, at times he can be really frustrating but he is one of the few players we have that can change the tempo of a game and get the team going up front, Merino is a similar type but doesn't as yet have that defense splitting passing ability although I'm sure it is there. Hope they both start next game.
    Agree with you there Canny. As much as I appreciate the attitude and efforts of Hayden, I don't think he's the type of player who should start the games right now, least not out the three we have. We need some ability going forward now.

I agree Jammy, Merino is only just coming back and I expect (fingers crossed) that he will be back to his best soon.

i would say we need to stop conceeding know
    shelvey doesnt do that

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    i would say we need to stop conceeding know
    shelvey doesnt do that
    This is why Rafa hasn't played him. So you agree with Rafa now then?

no i dont

this is why i dont think rafa gets the best from our players or should i say his players

shelvey is our only creative player as such
    and we need it
    however he is also the reason we have big wholes in the middle of the park

i have said i would play shelvey as far up front as i could probaably number 10 roll and play one or even two defensive mids behind him

it has been proven given the chances gayle will score at this level despite many not thinking he could

so i would play him up front shelvey behind him

two fast wingers from midfield going wide so shelvey has an option out side both times and they can cross into the middle and shelvey can move forward onto their defenders
    and then as i say a holding /defensive mid behind him

as he doesnt track back far enough anyway and his long punt up field arent effective at this level but he can slide a nice ball forward however his defensive work is dire

make it so he doesnt have to defend and shore the middle up and im sure we would be a better side

when both were fit merino and shelvey played canny together, as far as I recall

So 2 fast wingers who can cross into the middle for Gayle???? Good luck with that one. If that's the strategy,surely you need someone with prescence in the box, to get on the end of "the crosses"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)