+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A cautionary note

A cautionary note

I am quite optimistic about our chances this season but on a cautionary note if you look back to last season, Carlisle were on 42 points after 21 games with a goal difference of 15.

On the last day of the season they only just made the playoffs after coming back from being 2-1 down and scoring the winner on 75 minutes.

It is crucial that we recruit it the right areas in January and I have every confidence in Kevin Nolan & Alan Hardy to do just that!

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    I am quite optimistic about our chances this season but on a cautionary note if you look back to last season, Carlisle were on 42 points after 21 games with a goal difference of 15.

On the last day of the season they only just made the playoffs after coming back from being 2-1 down and scoring the winner on 75 minutes.

It is crucial that we recruit it the right areas in January and I have every confidence in Kevin Nolan & Alan Hardy to do just that!
    I can't help feel that being on the edge of play-offs at the end of the season will have been a massive turnaround for the club even if there may be an element of disappointment about it (another massive turnaround in expectations).

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    I can't help feel that being on the edge of play-offs at the end of the season will have been a massive turnaround for the club even if there may be an element of disappointment about it (another massive turnaround in expectations).
    Oh the irony.

Start of the season - Most Notts fans marginally encouraged following a great start by messers Hardy and Nolan but badly burnt by LIES from previous regimes and management that would have been frowned upon in the Zimbabwe mafia and as result justifiably conservative in approach. Including my own moderate projection of a top 10 finish.

Now - Issueing "cautionary notes" that we might only just make the play offs based on the performance of a manager sacked by Notts County when they enjoyed one of the best periods under said previous Zimbabwe mafia.

We certainly have some crack pot fans.

What will be will be. Enjoy every minute of it and die happy.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    Oh the irony.

Start of the season - Most Notts fans marginally encouraged following a great start by messers Hardy and Nolan but badly burnt by LIES from previous regimes and management that would have been frowned upon in the Zimbabwe mafia and as result justifiably conservative in approach. Including my own moderate projection of a top 10 finish.

Now - Issueing "cautionary notes" that we might only just make the play offs based on the performance of a manager sacked by Notts County when they enjoyed one of the best periods under said previous Zimbabwe mafia.

What will be will be. Enjoy every minute of it and die happy.
    Are you sure you meant to respond to my post rather than the OP's? I didn't issue any "cautionary note".

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post

Crack pot?

If you learned to read my upside down friend, you will see that I said I was quite optimistic about our chances this season. I was not comparing us to the mind numbingly dull football of a previous manager, merely pointing out that it is a little bit too early to get carried away!

I think it's fair to say optimism does not come easily to most Notts fans and as much as I am personally enjoying our current form and league status you cannot help but think the wheel is going to come well and truly off any time now. It's our default setting if you like!

Curiously the last two sides to go up from League Two in the play-offs both finished 7th, Blackpool with 70 points last season and Wimbledon with 75 the year before.

Let's say we need 75 points to avoid a huge disappointment, that would be an average of 1.32 pts per game from this weekend onwards. That ratio over the course of a full season would have seen a club finish around 16th/15th in the last two seasons, so lower-mid table form from now on would get us a shot at Wembley.

Doncaster (last season) and Bristol Rovers (2015/16) both finished 3rd with 85 pts. So based on those two clubs we'd need another 43 pts which of course means our results in the 2nd half of the season pretty much need to match what we've done in the 1st half.
    Away form will have to improve as we're currently relying on winning every single home match to hang on to an automatic place, no wins in 6 on the road.

I suppose the good news is we already have a 6 point head start over 4th place and 10 points over those vying for that 7th place play off spot so the form each of those clubs will need to achieve over the second half of the season is going to be challenging for any of them.

An automatic promotion spot is quite simply ours to lose.

The “target” number of points for an automatic promotion has varied considerably in the past. In 2015/6, Accrington missed out with 85. In 1997/8, Lincoln got there with 75.

I can't find the post but before the season started and many on here were bemoaning the lack of quality signings, I made a prediction which was "you won't be moaning when we are in the top 3 of L2 at xmas" - well, well, well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast