+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Penalty Taker?

Did Trevor Christie ever miss a penalty for Notts? He hadn't at the end of 1982/83 and he only had one more season with us.

Dean Thomas missed at least one (or had it saved).

Just to be provocative I could suggest Don Masson, but I'm sure I saw him miss more than he scored.

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    We’ve seen some great penalties taken by Steady and Shola this season.

Who’s the best Notts penalty taker you’ve seen?

Being an old ‘un, I’d go back to Ray O’Brien.

I think he’d been at Notts about 4 seasons before he started taking penalties though, as Ian Scanlon and then Steve Carter took them in his first few seasons. That pair weren’t shabby either.
    Seconded

the magic boot of the don took some beating.

... Keith Fry

Quote Originally Posted by nottsco2002 View Post
    Just to be provocative I could suggest Don Masson, but I'm sure I saw him miss more than he scored.
    Not after that crap penalty against Villa!

Kevin Randall can't remember him missing any.

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Kevin Randall can't remember him missing any.
    Missed one v Sheff Wed in March 74.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Missed one v Sheff Wed in March 74.
    And one at Portsmouth in September 1973, though the ref ordered 2 retakes, which were also missed by other players.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    And one at Portsmouth in September 1973, though the ref ordered 2 retakes, which were also missed by other players.
    I think it would be unfair to count that as a miss. Christie also had one saved v Villa but the keeper moved early and then he netted the re-take.

Probably no co-incidence that Masson didn't score from the spot during his 2nd spell at the club after having had his World Cup penalty saved in Argentina. I get the impression that affected him for a very long time, maybe to this day, which is unfair because it was his penalty v Wales that basically took Scotland there in the first place (Dalglish added the 2nd late on as Wales chased the game) and the penalty in the world cup was on target. If the keeper doesn't guess right then it always looks perfectly placed. If he does guess right then they say "it was a nice height for the keeper".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12