+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ted the bat...

why that game wasnt all ticket i will never know mind most werent in those days we would have filled that open end behind goal and who knows what might have happened with 10k blades behind that goal because if you read reports of game we were the better side for 70 minutes and had 3 great chances to take the lead

Wasn't the capacity reduced due to redeveloment of one end?

was 55k in ground i think but most of our fans didnt stand a chance of getting in traffic was horrendous going across snake and man u fans had been at turnstyles from 9 that morning it was that big a game

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    was 55k in ground i think but most of our fans didnt stand a chance of getting in traffic was horrendous going across snake and man u fans had been at turnstyles from 9 that morning it was that big a game
    Was only talking about this last night, about the stations in Manchester, to a Man U fan. We went on the train and got off at the station backing on to the main stand ( when the players came out of a central tunnel) and you couldn't move from the platform to the turnstiles. Got within 5 yards when they closed all gates.

Think it was 15 games into the season and the winners would be top of the table.

4 of us went in car but as i said traffic from sheffield was horrendous knew we had no chance of getting in

I went with my good mate Brian who now lives in Spain, we followed Blades home and away together mostly on the old SUT coaches. We were in the ground at 1.30 as we could see huge queues forming at all turnstiles. The ground was nothing like it is today and I think was mostly open terracing (was some rebuilding work going on) Can't remember much about the game itself or the chances we had (somebody mentioned these and maybe they could jog my memory)
    What I can remember is every time a Blades chant started up a 'battalion' of Mancs would appear and there'd be a good old scrap. Also remember a sea of red on the Stretford End and them chanting "werewolf" at Trevor Hockey. To be top of the Premier League (or its equivalent) and travelling to OT to play Man U as their equals was an awesome feeling and we were very proud Blades.

can remember first time i went to old trafford april 68 relegation season lost 1 0 to a denis law jack knife header early on but the atmosphere inside the place was incredible you could feel the history of the ground

Me and my three mates didn’t have any bother getting in on the terrace. We did ok up to THAT goal. Gowling got their second if I remember right.

yeah header from left wing cross just watched teds biggs interview comparing present team to 71 team which is a great compliment to chris and the boys hes really gutted about coutts injury

I was sitting in the stand that day (02/10/72) with (unfortunately) a very good view of that goal. Up to Ted going off, Bestie was practically anonymous. Gill Reece was a lovely bloke but not a full back, and you could see what was going to happen as soon as George started to run towards him. Furthermore, John Hope made it far too easy for him to score. George was a truly great player, but that goal was not as great as many people claimed. Sadly, the BBC cameras were there, and the BBC always loved everything about Manchester United.

I also went to Old Trafford the next two seasons and we won both those games 2-1! Nobody ever mentions them - so I will.
    Easter Monday 1973: Dearden and Eddy scored for us; Boxing Day 1973: Currie and Woodward. I remember the last one particularly as I was seated next to a most lovely and very friendly Man U supporting lady. If only she had been from Sheffield...........!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast