+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pigs 4 - Man U 4

they had the whole of back of kop on boxing day 66 when we beat em 2 1 the only time i can remember the kop being totally taken was at easter 74 when leeds came as champions majority of them were in ground for 6 o clock apparently our mob was in top right hand corner mind love these memories of bygone days of 60s and 70s so many of them

remember the game at the lane with city in april 67 i think they were above us on the kop loads taken out that day with cuts they were a tasty lot city and moss side was the scariest area round a ground ive ever been to

that boxing day 66 has been discussed on here before know rod was there it was the game when i saw the best headed goal ive ever seen by mick jones bullit header from woodys corner at the kop end nearly broke back of net lol

pity we were only playing with 10 men on boxing day 79 mr sabella was absent that day after mr king introduced himself to him in 1st minute !

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    that boxing day 66 has been discussed on here before know rod was there it was the game when i saw the best headed goal ive ever seen by mick jones bullit header from woodys corner at the kop end nearly broke back of net lol
    Everytime i tell my sons abart that MICK JONES header the time he hangs in't air gets longer and longer.It is without doubt the best headed goal i've ever seen,he hung in't air at least 5 minutes i tell ya.I was on't Pavillion side(Cherry Street)wi mi dear owd dad.UTCB

apart from 79 always loved boxing day games somat different about em somehow but for me still better in the days we were standing at games

I remember Man U on our kop early 70's and being involved in a proper set to out of being there. I was about 12. Similar against Birmingham in the mid 70's and against Chelsea on the Lane end in 71 when we won 2-1.Also Spurs on John St post match that season. Not proud of it but proud I stood and fought when I'd only gone to watch my team at my home ground.

remember chelsea being on the kop in 72 but got nowhere near to taking it they were all on right hand side of kop that day quite a few tried unsuccesfully only manure and weeds did it oh and dont like saying it a testimonial at the lane against pigs in mid 70s when none of our fans turned out !

Quote Originally Posted by Longshortandtall View Post
    There were only 3 large attendances at the Lane late sixties/early seventies v Man United where they brought a following in excess of 10k. In 1966 on Boxing Day, the game the crowd was over 45k. Don't think they took our Kop as trouble at matches was in its infancy. The other two were in 1972 when we were in our prime, remember them both well. April '72 we drew 1-1 crowd of 45k. They were across the back of the Kop at the start. Probably about 3/4k of them on the Kop. They got pushed across towards the Pavillion as the game wore on. Add them having the whole of the Bramall Lane end at most they brought 12k.

September '72 won 1-0. Got in around 2.30 joined in with the United chant and realised it was all Mancs across the whole of the top section of the Kop. They'd learnt from the previous game and had brought in large numbers early and this time it was role reversal younger Blades were pushed over to the Pavilion end. Older Blades started coming in up the steps where the Pukka Pie stand is now and got the top corner but couldn't move the sheer weight of numbers. When we scored the only goal of the game fighting broke out in the top corner and down across the front section of the Kop where most of the Blades were congregated. Crowd was 37k again there was nowhere near 20k Mancs.
    I too got on the Kop hearing United United..........wtf it was full of Man U fans,thats where i was in that top corner with mi mates.

Can you remember a very small group of WBA fans getting the centre back of the Kop,i had been shoed in outside the Townhall by the same group earlier on,i will never forget that curling up in a ball to protect mi gonads and hands over mi face head.

yeah seem to vaguely recollect that incident chip didnt they come round from lane end near end of game when they opened gates ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast