+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pigs 4 - Man U 4

Quote Originally Posted by shorehamoldboy View Post
    yeah seem to vaguely recollect that incident chip didnt they come round from lane end near end of game when they opened gates ?
    No it was early on in the game,no one new they were there,then all of a sudden they started chanting,and a swell of United fans backed away from them,surrounding them,then they got hammered.

remember the cup game with arsenal in 78 kop was packed and swaying behind goal then just before kick off a group of about 7 or 8 arsenal fans stood right in the middle chanted a r s e n a l led by the biggest black guy wearing a long black crombie they were absolutely swamped with bodies diving on top of em before being led away to lane end never forget that incident i believe the big guys name was dalton leader of the north bank oh and we were 4 down after 18 minutes eventually losing 5 0 lol

Didn't the arrogants have a 5-4 game with Man Utd around 67/68?Jumping Jack Whitham scored

Quote Originally Posted by BlockD View Post
    Didn't the arrogants have a 5-4 game with Man Utd around 67/68?Jumping Jack Whitham scored

When I was a young lad I used to watch Wednesday a few times, our elderly neighbour had a season ticket for hillsborough and if he didn't feel up to going he would offer me the chance to use it.

The 5-4 was 1968. I was there in the nth stand lower as a young 11yr old and remember smirking as George Best just infront of me very cleverly, (unseen by the ref) received the ball after it had gone out for what should have been a wednesday throw in race up the right wing and cross for Charlton to score. It was a great match as I recall.

I was also on the kop at the lane in 72 when we were pushed towards the front by the MU fans. My main memory of that game is ending up standing alongside a couple of the more friendly Man U fans, one of whom during the 1st half was hit on the shoulder by one of those old fashioned 1Lb weights that shops used on their scales, it was thrown from the back of the kop. He was carried out by the st Johns and returned with his arm in a sling during the 2nd half. If it had hit the back of his head I'm sure it would have killed him. There sure were some scary times on the kop back then.
    Last edited by biri; 14-12-2017 at 12:13 AM.

Yep i worra at that game too.

Was at that game too. We used to go to big games at the Sty to support the away teams if we couldn't afford to go away with the Blades. Remember a game at the end of the season against Birm.City who needed to win to get promotion. They had practically all of the Kop, the Leppers Lane and a lot of the North Stand. Hard to believe seeing them now. Also the season we nearly got to Europe at Brum on the big side stand. Like a scene from a WW 2 movie.

August 1968....great game and, would you believe it, 50k in the Sty. Went with my MnaU mate...he wasn't happy at all.
    Witham score 3.

That must have been before 1970 was it?i can remember one night game when the Dirtbags got on our Kop en massed at 6pm,in the days before all ticket games,but not Man Utd
    The Man Utd games were in the early 70s, One that springs to mind was when Best played and we beat them 1-0.

The Leeds night match was a 1-1 draw when Cammack scored for us I think and the Leeds fans were on the Shoreham very early which helped us compose the song "You took the kop at 5 o,clock again".

Quote Originally Posted by Chips1889 View Post
    August 1968....great game and, would you believe it, 50k in the Sty. Went with my MnaU mate...he wasn't happy at all.
    Witham score 3.
    I lived a few miles from the sty as a kid and remembered the sound of the roars over the meadows and on to the Parson Cross Estate. My old Dad thought summat was up as the sound was unusually common. People of that day and age often say that was the greatest game ever played at the sty.

Jack Witham was signed from Liverpool back then and ended up being the Landlord of the Wadsley Jack pub at Wisewood in the 80s.

The testimonials were an opportunity for the Pigs to get us off guard so to speak and they used to come on the kop in our absence,

I remember Woody's testimonial when we shared the Kop with the Pigs and Len Badgers benefit match was also tasty off the field.

There were other testimonials back then which used to attract decent crowds if I remember right.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast