+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Millmoor Floodlights.

Millmoor Floodlights.

Just been reading my old RUFC memorabilia has i often do on a cold wet winters day, came across an interesting piece on the Millmoor floodlights, ie when exactly were they errected? who installed them? estimated cost? what was the first game played under them? Any ideas folks...answers on a postcard please!! UTM

Supplementary question: who stripped the cabling from them? 😊

The floodlights were erected in 1960. The first senior game played under them was the League Cup Third Round tie against Bristol Rovers on November 23 1960. We won 2-0 and of course eventually progressed on to the Final in 1961, as we all know. There was a reserve game two days earlier against Darlington which was the first ever under the lights.

Remembered reading about this in Adrian Booth's excellent book, "The First Finalists" and checked back to get the details.

Tell us more, Archie. Those four huge towers are still icons on the Rotherham skyline...

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    The floodlights were erected in 1960. The first senior game played under them was the League Cup Third Round tie against Bristol Rovers on November 23 1960. We won 2-0 and of course eventually progressed on to the Final in 1961, as we all know. There was a reserve game two days earlier against Darlington which was the first ever under the lights.

Remembered reading about this in Adrian Booth's excellent book, "The First Finalists" and checked back to get the details.
    You're a reight squat

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    You're a reight squat
    I know! I know! You could almost hear me before I replied, couldn't you, with me hand waving in the air and whispering breathlessly, "Oh please, Sir! Me, Sir! I know, Sir!"

Anyroad, I'm old and am supposed to know these things! My first match under the lights was the League Cup Semi-Final First Leg about four months later. We won 3-2.
    Last edited by CTMilller; 13-12-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTMilller View Post
    I know! I know! You could almost hear me before I replied, couldn't you, with me hand waving in the air and whispering breathlessly, "Oh please, Sir! Me, Sir! I know, Sir!"

Anyroad, I'm old and am supposed to know these things! My first match under the lights was the League Cup Semi-Final First Leg about four months later. We won 3-2.
    The floodlights were a normality when I first started watching. The main changes for us have been the all seater stadiums and the bloody sponsorship stickers ruining every football shirt.

Did we play many night games before the floodlights were installed?

"Before the opening of the 1960/61 season United moved to install floodlighting at Millmoor in order to accommodate the new Football league cup competition, the lights cost in the region of £20,ooo installed by local firm Lilleker Bros, they were switched on for the first time on Nov 21st 1960 Millers res v Darlington res which we won 3-0 and over 3000 attended in bad conditions. Two days later the first team made their debut under the new lights beating Bristol Rovers 2-0 in the 3rd round of the new League Cup." Go to the top of the class C.T.Miller.

I think the floodlights were erected by Allott Bros & Leigh, of Fullerton Road... the first company I ever worked for. I know for sure they built the gym and TV gantry in the main stand.

Were they supposed to be the highest in the Football League ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast