+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: OT: Spoty 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Done and dusted. Joshua wins, Hamilton second.
    Joshua was odds on favourite, 6/1 on when I last checked, but this is one case where backing the favourite is the best bet. There must be leaks from those counting the votes. I made money when Wiggins won, he was odds on but it was practically a foregone conclusion. I don't know why people were suggesting any other outcome this time.

You have your wish Sidn Mo Farah

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Done and dusted. Joshua wins, Hamilton second.
    Wow, I couldn't have been more wrong! Staggering result, you would have got odds of a million to one on that 1-2-3.

They are turning the show into a music concert. Spending half the camera time on the performer instead of giving time to read the captions of those who died in the last year - 3 photos at a time in about 3 secs. And leaving the audience unsure of who they were clapping at the end.

Does everything nowadays have to have music? For whose benefit?

Goes some way to restoring my faith in the Great British Public. Apart from his sporting brilliance and wonderful sunny smile, this is a man who has truly taken on the mantle of being a Brit. He has immersed himself in British values and yet managed to maintain good relations with his twin brother in Somali.
    As to the insinuations about his 'alleged cheating', this vote tells you how much cred it is given by most people. When I said there was no paper trail, that was because 'blood doping' can only be done with the connivance of a laboratory. Popping pills might work for cyclists or sprinters; not for distance athletes.
    Reading Farah's autobiog, he was clearly a Jack the lad until he was persuaded that he had a future as a distance runner. I had a similar lad I coached when I was teaching in Coventry, (a West Indian). He was a natural, but in the end kicking a football about with the lads won the day. He just lacked the self-discipline and dedication that made the difference.
    PS Also in full agreement with Old Pie about the show needing a rethink
    Last edited by sidders; 18-12-2017 at 08:54 AM.

Erm, like I was saying.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Goes some way to restoring my faith in the Great British Public. Apart from his sporting brilliance and wonderful sunny smile, this is a man who has truly taken on the mantle of being a Brit. He has immersed himself in British values and yet managed to maintain good relations with his twin brother in Somali.
    As to the insinuations about his 'alleged cheating', this vote tells you how much cred it is given by most people. When I said there was no paper trail, that was because 'blood doping' can only be done with the connivance of a laboratory. Popping pills might work for cyclists or sprinters; not for distance athletes.
    Reading Farah's autobiog, he was clearly a Jack the lad until he was persuaded that he had a future as a distance runner. I had a similar lad I coached when I was teaching in Coventry, (a West Indian). He was a natural, but in the end kicking a football about with the lads won the day. He just lacked the self-discipline and dedication that made the difference.
    PS Also in full agreement with Old Pie about the show needing a rethink
    Bloody hell Sidney I agree with you again, your first paragraph especially. This will have to stop!!

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    He's the only one that springs to mind, which is probably why he is almost unanimously considered to be THE greatest sportsman of all time. How can you compare a boxer to a tennis player? It's at that point it comes down to personality. Who else is there that could be so larger than life and at the same time be the all conquering machine in their chosen field?

George Best had something about him other than just being a great footballer but again that proved to be his downfall. Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles are other examples of gifted footballers with character who massively underachieved. You don't have to look further than our own club to see how it works. Jimmy Sirrel was a character alright, but needed the robotic-like Howard Wilkinson to help him complete the journey to the top flight and of course it was Wilkinson who ultimately went on to manage a title winning side.
    Don Masson was apparently not well-liked as a person among teammates because all he cared about was playing to the best of his ability and expecting the same from those around him, he's the one that truly makes it out of that legendary 70s side, I think it was little Dave Smith who was the character in that dressing room and he ends up at Torquay.
    Very good post but when I was more connected with the club the only thing I heard about Don was he was a little bit 'careful' with his money shall we say and yes he was meticulous regarding his fitness and clean living as was Dave Needham. Stubby was one of the lads and enjoyed a pint and a fag but all in fun. I knew Smithy well as he played for me at cricket ..... a good batsman and as fit as a flea along with Billy Brindley a good keeper. Dave didn't have a car in those days and lived with his mum in the Meadows. She was a genuine Nottingham lady and proud of him but Dave always seemed a little ashamed of where he came from when I once picked him up. That aside a good lad who finished up with two pubs in Torquay. I understand he may be back in Nottingham but could be wrong.
    Last edited by seriouspie; 18-12-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Only tuned in to watch the Apprentice and noticed that Mo Farah had won an award.

I thought Roger Federer had won the overseas award though?

The voting figures show what a close-run thing it was. The winner getting just over 15% of the vote.

545,033 votes in total. Wonder how that compares to Strictly voting?

Maybe SPOTY is losing it's interest to the general public. I no longer watch it these days, whereas years ago it was a must.

Name:  Spoty.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  24.2 KB
    Last edited by 60YearsAPie; 18-12-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast